Which PRS would suit this needs?

davidrf

B# is a thing
Hi there,
I'd like to buy a guitar for my heavier sounding needs that is more or less Strat-shaped but does NOT sound like a Strat. I checked out both Ibanez AZ2402 and Ibanez MM1, and even though they are exceptional guitars, their sound is pretty reminiscent to a Strat on steroids. You can clearly hear that mid-range focused sound. I don't want that, since I already have that kind of sound (more or less) on my American Deluxe HSS.

I'd like something that, just to make the simplest possible example, sounds more like a Les Paul than a Strat. Fuller, bigger, more ballsy. I have tried an Ibanez Jem and that thing sounds incredibly HUGE and monstruous, but I hate both Floyd Roses and Wizard necks.

Someone suggested me a ESP Horizon III, that should check all marks... except I don't like it and it's too "metal looking".
In the past I owned a PRS Custom 24 and, as exceptional that guitar was, it didn't sound that big and full. I wonder if other PRS models are closer to this description. For example, what about a S2 Singlecut (even if it's not strat-shaped it has very easy access to upper frets)? Or... what other PRS with a cost that is less than 2000$? Best of all if it's hardtail.

Thanks!

Last edited:
What year cu24 and what pickups did you have?
Because.. my cu24 from 2012 is certainly big and full, but still quite clear.
Not Les Paul full, but way more than my strat.

And in what context, live, studio, home - solo, etc.

What year cu24 and what pickups did you have?
Because.. my cu24 from 2012 is certainly big and full, but still quite clear.
Not Les Paul full, but way more than my strat.

And in what context, live, studio, home - solo, etc.

I had a 2015 SE Custom 24, not a made in USA. I would use that guitar in a reharal space with a Marshall JCM 2000, a Marshall JCM 800 and occasionally an Orange Tiny Terror. Also, I would record with that guitar in Ableton. Thanks.

If you could score a studio stoptail from the 2011ish era it would probably be perfect. 2 narrow field humbuckers in the neck and middle and a 57/08 (I think) in the bridge.

I’m not sure this is an exact fit, but check out a newer S2 Satin Standard with 85/15 “S” pickups.

They’re in your price range, comfy and many like the pickups. Unlike Fender’s, PRS trems are very stable and don’t require blocking (but some still do it).

Let us know what you end up buying and why. We’re all about learning here. :)

Last edited:
The S2 Satin Standard 22 is a pretty solid advice too, but I've most certainly found out the S2 Singlecut with the same exact pickups sounds a bit bigger and fuller. That is, according to the opinions of two different guys who have both guitars (one being the youtuber Simon Smith). I don't know if it is for the hardtail or because of the higher mass of the body (I would bet the second hypothesis is the right one).

So right now I'm hunting for a good deal on a S2 Singlecut characoal satin. I would REALLY like the "egyptian gold" version with black pickguard but as far as I know that is very very difficult to find. In the meantime I will keep my eyes open for S2 Satin Standards too.

I strongly hope I will soon rejoin the PRS family :)

I don’t have exactly the same S2 models except for a sc vs dc difference. (I have a S2 Cu24, S2 Studio and S2 CuSinglecut guitars.)

It’s one thing if you’re looking for an acoustic where sound follows form. But if I understand you right, you are looking for a PRS that feels like a Strat but sounds like a LP.

I think a double cut model will give you more of a Strat feel you’re looking for. You can always adjust your EQ or amp choice to make a double cut sound more like a single cut.

But I don’t have to tell you that.

Back