Which PRS neck profile do you generally prefer?

Which neck profile to you prefer?

• Pattern / Wide-Fat

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Pattern Reg / Reg

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Pattern Thin / Wide-Thin

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • DGT

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Santana

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pattern Vintage

Votes: 12 16.2%

• Total voters
Pattern Vintage is the perfect neck for me, though I get along with anything on the chunkier side.

I would be inclined to give it a try before prejudging it based on specs. A Dean Z feels very different than a Norlin-era Gibson Explorer with identical scale length, fretwire, and fingerboard radius. Maybe the neck carve, fretboard/nut dimensions, and PRS fit/finish will make the Silver Sky or whatever the real name ends up being feel very different than an American Vintage Strat or other vintage reissue. Plus, a lot of folks would argue the opposite about the smaller fretwire and rounder radius, that it would feel more comfortable. Heck, maybe they’re just building up some buzz to announce their first ever production compound radius fingerboard or some similar playability feature.

As with many things in life, when it comes to neck shapes, fretboard radius, etc., I'm glad to not be so particular that I have to have a certain one - sometimes you just have to shut up and play it. I have my favorites, but a different feel might inspire me to do something new. I doubt the JM will be physically unplayable, hence, I shall grin and play it.

Will play any size/shape up to cricket bat size...prefer pattern thin, but also like the Brent Hinds size necks...if it has strings, play it.

Back