Which PRS neck profile do you generally prefer?

Which neck profile to you prefer?

• Pattern / Wide-Fat

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Pattern Reg / Reg

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Pattern Thin / Wide-Thin

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • DGT

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Santana

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pattern Vintage

Votes: 12 16.2%

• Total voters
I like them all... they're distinguishable, but close enough that any given one feels good. That being said, if I had to nit pick, I would say W/F is a little tougher to wrap my hands around, W/T a little flat feeling on the back, but the S2 Pattern Reg carve is absolute perfection for a small paw like mine. More manageable than W/F, more curvature than W/T. Oh, and that carve with the 24.5" scale on my Mira 25th... fuhgeddaboudit.

Well based on the response to the new JM PRS, any neck that isn’t a 7.25 radius is out favorite!

Well based on the response to the new JM PRS, any neck that isn’t a 7.25 radius is out favorite!

Lol. Yup...

But if true, could it be that PRS has found a magical way to make the 7.25 radius comfortable? Just sayin. I dont know of any stock PRS guitars with that vintage radius spec so could this be part of the 'PRS innovation'? If true and if the 7.25 radius is real on this guitar, PRS is gonna make us try it and what if surprise, its awesome and different from the typical Fnder 7.25 inch radius? This guitar could literally change the world IF theres some magic innovation built into it.

Oh, I played around with my McCarty with its Pattern neck yesterday and I find that theres a clear difference between Pattern and Pattern Reg... I have to scoot my hand closer to the treble side of neck to get around the Pattern shoulders. I love both and both are super comfy but my favorite for my hand is definitely Standard/Regular (with Pattern Regular being the close second). I'm a girl but I've got long fingers and a square palm.

Lol. Yup...

But if true, could it be that PRS has found a magical way to make the 7.25 radius comfortable? Just sayin. I dont know of any stock PRS guitars with that vintage radius spec so could this be part of the 'PRS innovation'? If true and if the 7.25 radius is real on this guitar, PRS is gonna make us try it and what if surprise, its awesome and different from the typical Fnder 7.25 inch radius? This guitar could literally change the world IF theres some magic innovation built into it.
I love the optimism and I believe in PRS! However, I’m not sure what you can do to make a 7.25 radius different... It’s a mathematical measurement. It’s kinda like hoping that 80 inch TV will fit on your 60 inch wall :D

I love the optimism and I believe in PRS! However, I’m not sure what you can do to make a 7.25 radius different... It’s a mathematical measurement. It’s kinda like hoping that 80 inch TV will fit on your 60 inch wall :D

Yeah, I get that (I do measurements for a living)... But I've had two 10 inch radius fret boards by two different manufacturers where one feels totally different from the other in terms of flatness. Its possible that this PRS 7.25 can feel different from Fendrs 7.25.

I love the optimism and I believe in PRS! However, I’m not sure what you can do to make a 7.25 radius different... It’s a mathematical measurement.
I get this, but I would cheat (though I prefer to think of it as changing the rules of engagement). I don’t think there is any law that says the horizontal view of the fingerboard must represent a tiny chunk of a sphere. Maybe part of it is 7.25ish and part of it isn’t.
I’ll give it a try just to satisfy my curiosity. The number sounds unusable to me, but I’ve encountered quite a few numbers that can’t be trusted so I’d give my hands a chance to tell me the truth.

I get this, but I would cheat (though I prefer to think of it as changing the rules of engagement). I don’t think there is any law that says the horizontal view of the fingerboard must represent a tiny chunk of a sphere. Maybe part of it is 7.25ish and part of it isn’t.
I’ll give it a try just to satisfy my curiosity. The number sounds unusable to me, but I’ve encountered quite a few numbers that can’t be trusted so I’d give my hands a chance to tell me the truth.

Yup. In my experience, its the radius + the neck specs (depth, width, etc) that equals the overall feel. I dont like the way 7.25 inch radius feels but my opinion is based entirely on other guitar manufacturers 7.25 inch radius guitars (with their necks).

We already know that PRS knows how to produce a magical neck... The board radius may turn out to be a relatively minor thing.

Worth noting that even discounting individual example variances, I feel like Wide/Fat and Pattern are remarkably different on the shoulders. Really should be separate poll options almost.

I dunno. I don't get the non love for 7.25. I had a '57 Strat reissue for a spell. Loved that V. I also don't think anyone should be shocked. It's reported to be a variant of early 60s F, which would make these specs expectable. Lots of people really love '63 Strats. Lots of people love late 50s LP's too. Look what PRS did with the 594. Why should this be any different? Plus, it is an Artist guitar. If that's what John wants.....

I get that people are bummed though. I expect it to be a fabulous guitar, regardless.

Having said that, I am likely not going down this whole. After 30 years of trying Strats of all varieties and finally finding what I thought was the perfect S type last year I think I've come to realize that I am just not a Strat guy. The roasted maple neck and jumbo-ish frets on the Xotic were what I thought to be the winning combo. Turns out not to be. Time to move on.

Last edited:
At least you finally realized the S type is Santana.
I dunno. I don't get the non love for 7.25. I had a '57 Strat reissue for a spell. Loved that V. I also don't think anyone should be shocked. It's reported to be a variant of early 60s F, which would make these specs expectable. Lots of people really love '63 Strats. Lots of people love late 50s LP's too. Look what PRS did with the 594. Why should this be any different? Plus, it is an Artist guitar. If that's what John wants.....

I get that people are bummed though. I expect it to be a fabulous guitar, regardless.

Having said that, I am likely not going down this whole. After 30 years of trying Strats of all varieties and finally finding what I thought was the perfect S type last year I think I've come to realize that I am just not a Strat guy. The roasted maple neck and jumbo-ish frets on the Xotic were what I thought to be the winning combo. Turns out not to be. Time to move on.

So.... Is the Xotic going bye bye?

So.... Is the Xotic going bye bye?

I think so. I hate to, cuz roasted flame maple naked neck is to die for. The Raw Vintage pickups that Xotic makes are killer. Alas, I think it's time I finally admit defeat on the S type. I need an S type to be something like George Lynch rocked in the '80s, even though I love SRV, Clapton, Beck and scores of others that rock the Strat.

Do we need to talk?

I think so. I hate to, cuz roasted flame maple naked neck is to die for. The Raw Vintage pickups that Xotic makes are killer. Alas, I think it's time I finally admit defeat on the S type. I need an S type to be something like George Lynch rocked in the '80s, even though I love SRV, Clapton, Beck and scores of others that rock the Strat.

Do we need to talk?

Bummer.

Yeah, we should talk.

Well, it all depends on what point of history you’re talking about. Until the 1850s, especially in Europe, queens were political pawns, and once at court had very little power or say in anything. Many felt like prisoners of their position.

The kings had officially-sanctioned mistresses, who often wielded far more power at court and in international relations than the queens did. In France, Germany, Austria and England, the position was an official gig that had to be approved not only by the court, but by the queen Weird, right?

Of course, when they reached a certain age, they were penioned off. But the good ones got estates and today’s equivalent of millions of dollars, plus whatever other gifts the king would offer. There were also royal bastards, who were considered fair game by lots of European royalty who wanted any relation of the king in their family.

In England, prefixes like “Fitz” meant the bearer of the name was a royal bastard, and there were similar names throughout Europe. This was not considered a bad thing. William the Conqueror of England was a noble bastard.

Though they were notorious from time to time, the mistresses also got very, very rich, were made titled nobility, and a good chunk of European royalty descends from them. Not so much always for the poor queens.

Unlike the kings, if the queen had a boyfriend, both were liable to charges of treason and execution. So it wasn’t always a great deal to be married to the king.

However, it beat the heck out of being a serf, a servant, a farmer, etc. So there’s that going for the gig. Still, while it’s good to be queen, it’s clearly not as much fun as being king.

I feel like I just watched an episode of Game of Thrones :)

Back