Which PRS neck profile do you generally prefer?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Mole351, Feb 23, 2018.

?

Which neck profile to you prefer?

1. Pattern / Wide-Fat

19 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. Pattern Reg / Reg

23 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Pattern Thin / Wide-Thin

13 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. DGT

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Santana

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pattern Vintage

12 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

I like them all... they're distinguishable, but close enough that any given one feels good. That being said, if I had to nit pick, I would say W/F is a little tougher to wrap my hands around, W/T a little flat feeling on the back, but the S2 Pattern Reg carve is absolute perfection for a small paw like mine. More manageable than W/F, more curvature than W/T. Oh, and that carve with the 24.5" scale on my Mira 25th... fuhgeddaboudit.

mad monk likes this.
  2. mad monk

mad monk Your father's Oldsmobile

I had a Mira 25th. Sorry I sold it. Fantastic carve!

andy474x likes this.
  3. Cbouty

Cbouty New Member

Well based on the response to the new JM PRS, any neck that isn’t a 7.25 radius is out favorite!

Mole351 likes this.
  4. WeFixFlats

WeFixFlats Respect The Clave

I voted DGT but it's tied with my Santana.

5. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

Lol. Yup...

But if true, could it be that PRS has found a magical way to make the 7.25 radius comfortable? Just sayin. I dont know of any stock PRS guitars with that vintage radius spec so could this be part of the 'PRS innovation'? If true and if the 7.25 radius is real on this guitar, PRS is gonna make us try it and what if surprise, its awesome and different from the typical Fnder 7.25 inch radius? This guitar could literally change the world IF theres some magic innovation built into it.

Cbouty likes this.
  6. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

Oh, I played around with my McCarty with its Pattern neck yesterday and I find that theres a clear difference between Pattern and Pattern Reg... I have to scoot my hand closer to the treble side of neck to get around the Pattern shoulders. I love both and both are super comfy but my favorite for my hand is definitely Standard/Regular (with Pattern Regular being the close second). I'm a girl but I've got long fingers and a square palm.

7. Cbouty

Cbouty New Member

I love the optimism and I believe in PRS! However, I’m not sure what you can do to make a 7.25 radius different... It’s a mathematical measurement. It’s kinda like hoping that 80 inch TV will fit on your 60 inch wall :D

8. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

Yeah, I get that (I do measurements for a living)... But I've had two 10 inch radius fret boards by two different manufacturers where one feels totally different from the other in terms of flatness. Its possible that this PRS 7.25 can feel different from Fendrs 7.25.

veinbuster and Cbouty like this.
  9. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

I get this, but I would cheat (though I prefer to think of it as changing the rules of engagement). I don’t think there is any law that says the horizontal view of the fingerboard must represent a tiny chunk of a sphere. Maybe part of it is 7.25ish and part of it isn’t.
    I’ll give it a try just to satisfy my curiosity. The number sounds unusable to me, but I’ve encountered quite a few numbers that can’t be trusted so I’d give my hands a chance to tell me the truth.

Casi1 and Cbouty like this.
  10. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

Yup. In my experience, its the radius + the neck specs (depth, width, etc) that equals the overall feel. I dont like the way 7.25 inch radius feels but my opinion is based entirely on other guitar manufacturers 7.25 inch radius guitars (with their necks).

We already know that PRS knows how to produce a magical neck... The board radius may turn out to be a relatively minor thing.

11. Whitecat

Whitecat Goes home to Starla

Worth noting that even discounting individual example variances, I feel like Wide/Fat and Pattern are remarkably different on the shoulders. Really should be separate poll options almost.

Casi1 likes this.
  12. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I dunno. I don't get the non love for 7.25. I had a '57 Strat reissue for a spell. Loved that V. I also don't think anyone should be shocked. It's reported to be a variant of early 60s F, which would make these specs expectable. Lots of people really love '63 Strats. Lots of people love late 50s LP's too. Look what PRS did with the 594. Why should this be any different? Plus, it is an Artist guitar. If that's what John wants.....

I get that people are bummed though. I expect it to be a fabulous guitar, regardless.

Having said that, I am likely not going down this whole. After 30 years of trying Strats of all varieties and finally finding what I thought was the perfect S type last year I think I've come to realize that I am just not a Strat guy. The roasted maple neck and jumbo-ish frets on the Xotic were what I thought to be the winning combo. Turns out not to be. Time to move on.

#52 bodia, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    andy474x and kes7u like this.
  13. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

At least you finally realized the S type is Santana.

bodia and sergiodeblanc like this.
  14. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

So.... Is the Xotic going bye bye?

15. bodia

I think so. I hate to, cuz roasted flame maple naked neck is to die for. The Raw Vintage pickups that Xotic makes are killer. Alas, I think it's time I finally admit defeat on the S type. I need an S type to be something like George Lynch rocked in the '80s, even though I love SRV, Clapton, Beck and scores of others that rock the Strat.

Do we need to talk?

16. bodia

Hell to the yes!

17. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

Bummer.

Yeah, we should talk.

18. alman

alman Professional Hack

Wide/Thin

Mole351 likes this.
  19. Guitpicky

Guitpicky New Member

I feel like I just watched an episode of Game of Thrones :)

Lee B. likes this.
  20. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I both read too much and blab too much.