Which PRS neck profile do you generally prefer?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Mole351, Feb 23, 2018.

?

Which neck profile to you prefer?

1. Pattern / Wide-Fat

19 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. Pattern Reg / Reg

23 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Pattern Thin / Wide-Thin

13 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. DGT

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Santana

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pattern Vintage

12 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. Mole351

Mole351 New Member

Yes, I still can't get my head around what a huge difference such a small measurement has in the feel of a neck - but have just accepted it.

I too like pattern thin the best I think - but I still dig the others. I have tiny fingers so this helps. Would love if they made a thin with the width of the regular (just not as wide).

Cbouty likes this.
  2. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

What about Dairy Queen?

3. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

I love the wide fat, but lately the Mira and P22 are getting a lot of love...

4. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc I like to party, mmm hmm, everybody does.

America's monarchy.

Andrew Paul likes this.
  5. flux

flux 594 & CU24

Same here, it's pretty amazing.

PV remains my #1 neck of all time, PR is quite close behind and ever so comfy. Despite growing up on skinny necks, PT cannot get along with my arthritis. Cramping begins in less than a minute on my fretting hand... crazy, given those seemingly tiny increments.

#25 flux, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  6. Geo408

Geo408 New Member

Pattern/pattern..or wide fat...or pattern regular...oh, you get the idea: they're all pretty good. I also find minute differences between each of the profiles..they still hand sand the necks, don't forget. It all depends on what style of music I'm playing, and whether I'm using a single, or double cut.

7. BWV548

BWV548 Custom Title

Patter vintage is probably my favorite, but I really love all of the profiles I’ve tried, except pattern thin. I just really like that one

8. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Santana followed very closely by Pattern Village. But really, I'm a slut. I'll take 'em all.

**edit*** Vintage damn-it, Vintage

#28 bodia, Feb 23, 2018
  9. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc I like to party, mmm hmm, everybody does.

How's their school district?

bodia likes this.
  10. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

Really good at teaching kids how to build grass huts.

11. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

But they all look the same, like they're all following a thing designed to make them look similar.

12. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

It’s a test to find the rebels in the class.

13. P90s

P90s New Member

My all-time favorite: Regular "D" from their Custom 22 Soapbar. Favorite guitar, most comfortable neck ever. I've considered ordering a PS just to get the same neck with a HB PRS.

Rider1260 likes this.
  14. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Gotta be stellar. Fookin' taxes are killing me, and I don't even have kids!

veinbuster likes this.
  15. P90s

P90s New Member

The thickness of a layer of paint is something like 0.005" thick, You run your finger over a surface, and the average person can detect where a new paint layer begins. With that in mind 1/32 of an inch is cavernous.

Mole351 likes this.
  16. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Well, it all depends on what point of history you’re talking about. Until the 1850s, especially in Europe, queens were political pawns, and once at court had very little power or say in anything. Many felt like prisoners of their position.

The kings had officially-sanctioned mistresses, who often wielded far more power at court and in international relations than the queens did. In France, Germany, Austria and England, the position was an official gig that had to be approved not only by the court, but by the queen Weird, right?

Of course, when they reached a certain age, they were penioned off. But the good ones got estates and today’s equivalent of millions of dollars, plus whatever other gifts the king would offer. There were also royal bastards, who were considered fair game by lots of European royalty who wanted any relation of the king in their family.

In England, prefixes like “Fitz” meant the bearer of the name was a royal bastard, and there were similar names throughout Europe. This was not considered a bad thing. William the Conqueror of England was a noble bastard.

Though they were notorious from time to time, the mistresses also got very, very rich, were made titled nobility, and a good chunk of European royalty descends from them. Not so much always for the poor queens.

Unlike the kings, if the queen had a boyfriend, both were liable to charges of treason and execution. So it wasn’t always a great deal to be married to the king.

However, it beat the heck out of being a serf, a servant, a farmer, etc. So there’s that going for the gig. Still, while it’s good to be queen, it’s clearly not as much fun as being king.

#36 LSchefman, Feb 23, 2018
    Mole351 likes this.
  17. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

My CU22 soap bars hang tag says DGT neck

bodia likes this.
  18. Lee B.

Lee B. I stitch my wings and pull the strings.

My EG has the best neck I’ve ever played, so I guess wide thin for me.

Mole351 likes this.
  19. mad monk

mad monk Your father's Oldsmobile

This may sound/seem weird, but it depends on model. I've owned over 10 US core PRS guitars (yeah, small. Don't make fun of me). My favorite carves are my 2006 and 2007 wide/fat SCT's. They are nearly identical. My 2007 SC 245 wide/fat is different, as was a 2007 Custom 22 wide/fat stoptail, and a Custom 22 trem. A 2008 Pattern was different than another 2008 Pattern (different models).
    During a factory tour one year, an S2 neck I picked up off the production line felt nearly perfect. As comfortable width-wise as my SCT's, with just a smidge more depth. That would probably change after finishing. Don't remember what they called the carve.
    My son's core Tremonti (Tremonti thin) feels fatter than my SCT wide/fats. 6 SE models between my son and I revealed the original SE Singlecuts were very close, but the SE 245 and Akesson varied widely (both REAL FAT).
    Conclusion: I love PRS guitars. You'll find your favorite, as did I.

20. P90s

P90s New Member

Right, later models had DGT. mine is from the first at the turn of the 21st. They made only 500 or so. They later did limited runs but used the DGT neck shape.

#40 P90s, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018