Which PRS guitars are the most similar to a Les Paul

I’ve had many Les Pauls and even Les Pauls often sound different guitar to guitar, so I can offer only that the McCarty 594 Singlecut or SC594 plays and sounds the most like a great vintage Les Paul that I have personally experienced. The 58/15LT pickups account for a part of that. They aren’t hotter, like more recent LPs, and so sound good clean or driven, on both pickups.

To me, it’s a perfect Les Paul without vintage issues or price. It isn’t what I’d call cheap, but quality is worth buying. Consider buying used, which is what a good portion of my guitars are. It’ll save the sticker shock of a new one, and a PRS holds up (and holds value) over the long haul!

Good luck :)

Oh that video was a bittersweet experience. That SC 594 sounds so sweet, but I have no idea how I’ll ever be able to afford one.

You could look at an S2 594. They are significantly cheaper than a brand new or used Core 594. Finding a used Core 594 is hard because there aren't as many out there as compared to some other PRS. You could also find a used S2 594 as well since there are more of them on the used market. The thing that's nice about the Core 594 is that its heavy for a PRS guitar which gives it, its resonance/sustain like a Gibson, but without being as heavy as a Gibson. My Core 594's neck is also very chunky which helps with its sound as well. However, what's nice about the S2 594s is that they have the same necks as the Core 594s and most of the same features barring the pickups, and I believe the nut.

The SC245 and 58s are cool guitars that are similar to Les Pauls too, but I think they're less like a traditional Les Paul because of the 1 piece bridge, unless you find a rare one with a two piece. The two piece comes standard on the 594s.

I own a Bernie Marsden 245 LE, which was supposedly built after the Les Paul he was playing while in Whitesnake.

From MusicRadar review:
"Bernie Marsden (BM) is among the most vintage Les Paul-like Singlecuts in the SE range."

Last edited:
I own a Bernie Marsden 245 LE, which was supposedly built after the Les Paul he was paying in Whitesnake.

From MusicRadar review:
"Bernie Marsden (BM) is among the most vintage Les Paul-like Singlecuts in the SE range."
Bernie's are awesome! They punch way above their price point.

The core Santana (you Santana owners know what I'm talkin' 'bout).

I went with the Santana. Wanted the scale length of a Gibson but with the playability of a Cu24. Seemed like a nice compromise.

So... popular theory seems to be that the limited run of DC 22 guitars through Musicians Friend was aimed pretty squarely at those who were looking for a quality LP surrogate that had great features but wasn't in ridiculous price territory. I'm not even sure if this is accurate (?); however, if it is, then yes the Santana family of guitars deserves to be included here.

The SC245 and 58s are cool guitars that are similar to Les Pauls too, but I think they're less like a traditional Les Paul because of the 1 piece bridge, unless you find a rare one with a two piece. The two piece comes standard on the 594s.

The SC58s, Stripped 58s, and 245s all have the two piece bridge like the 594s. They were not a rarity. The difference is that the bridges are machined aluminum instead of zinc, and of course the scale length is 24.5 inches instead of 24.594.

Here’s a pic of my SC58 that I foolishly let go; I also had a Stripped 58 and an SC245.

NYEBoqt.jpg

Currently I have a McCarty Singlecut that was a PS model. It has a slightly thicker body than the other Singlecuts, but doesn’t have the 594 scale length. It has the more vintage tones of the 594 despite the differences. This is my #1. If you can find one, they’re fantastic instruments.

9jbLbz1.jpg

The earlier Singlecut models were indeed equipped with one-piece bridges. I ordered one of the first ones, with moons instead of birds around 1999-2000 and loved it. Scale length was 25”.

zSlrupy.jpg

Last edited:
The SC58s, Stripped 58s, and 245s all have the two piece bridge like the 594s.The difference is that the bridges are machined aluminum instead of zinc, and of course the scale length is 24.5 inches instead of 24.594.

Here’s a pic of my SC58 that I foolishly let go; I also had a Stripped 58 and an SC245.

NYEBoqt.jpg

Currently I have a McCarty Singlecut that was a PS model. It has a slightly thicker body than the other Singlecuts, but doesn’t have the 594 scale length. It has the more vintage tones of the 594 despite the differences. This is my #1. If you can find one, they’re fantastic instruments.

9jbLbz1.jpg
Hammer Of The Gods!

My singlecut McCarty 594 is kind of similar, but not the same.. You know? I mean i get a really fat tone but if i want that ballsy Les Paul low mid, will have to do some tinkering cause its not there.

I remember when you first received the Hammer of the Gods. I was envious then and remain so now.

I think I've had it for 5 or so years now. Time flies! However, your 594 is undoubtedly every bit as awesome, if not more so!

Back