Which PRS guitars are the most similar to a Les Paul

Shawn L

I know most guys the Gibsons would argue that there has never been a PRS that is any way near a Les Paul, but I am thinking there must be some models that come close. Whatcha all say?

I know most guys the Gibsons would argue that there has never been a PRS that is any way near a Les Paul, but I am thinking there must be some models that come close. Whatcha all say?
Well, My SE245 is going to be as close as I am going to get to a real LP. The electronics were upgraded to give it that vintage tone.

In SOUND, not just all the other specs—definitely the 594 Singlecut body, or even the SC 245, SC 58, and/or Stripped 58. There is something very distinct about how the single-cut neck-body joint resonates the low end like a Les Paul that the standard PRS/McCarty shaped bodies just don’t seem to do.

That being said, I love love love my regular-bodied (PRS double-cutaway) McCarty 58–it might just be the best guitar I’ve ever owned or played. So, I’m not saying either one is “better,” but for sure those singlecut bodies have a thick low-end that the double-cuts do not.

Every PRS I've thought was LP like was indeed much like a Les Paul, but none had that low end power many of them have. However, they have 90% of that bottom end and are much more articulate, easier to play, and stay in tune. I'll take that trade.

The original SC's are my particular favorite LP-like model but the 594's have the popular edge.

THis is an old story - it's never going away so I might as well jump in. Personal opinion only below. Not trying to get anyone all jacked up.

If you look on Reverb there are thousands of Les Paul's for sale in price ranges from $450,000.00 to $1000, more or less. The top end of these (played by Clapton, Peter Green, etc, etc) are a category unto themselves (PRS himself points out that most people have never even had the opportunity to hear these guitars, much less play one). So discussing these can be fun, but academic only and perhaps pointless.

Regarding the Les Paul's that most of us might one day possibly own (or we could consider the Les Paul's that could be had for the price of a core PRS) - I have heard many of them, through all kinds of amps, in all kinds of genre's. They are what they are and there are quite a few I'd love to have BUT...

I think the 594 sounds better.
I think the 594 is designed / aimed at the classic Les Paul sound and I think it hits it's mark.
I think It might not sound as fabulous as a 58 Burst or any other $100,000 plus Les Pauls' - but it sounds a hell of a lot better than any Les Paul that can be had for under $10,000

Don't forget the SC250 as well, LOL....you know..it's basically all the singlecuts. Since I've owned a bit of LPs and single cut PRS....yea...I gotta say my 594 singlecut was the closest. I did end up liking the SC250 better due to the way I usually like LPs though. I also gotta add though.... I friggin' LOVE my LP I stuffed with 57/08!

Last edited:
Every PRS I've thought was LP like was indeed much like a Les Paul, but none had that low end power many of them have. However, they have 90% of that bottom end and are much more articulate, easier to play, and stay in tune. I'll take that trade.

The original SC's are my particular favorite LP-like model but the 594's have the popular edge.
Huge fan of the OG Original Singlecuts.

Here's an interesting comparison with Tim Pierce and Howard Teese between new PRS Guitars and Leese's Holy Grail Les Pauls. All you have to do is listen. You'll be very surprised at the comparisons.

Plus, it's an interesting video.

Last edited:
Back