Which pickups should I get for my new PRS 7 string?

NostraHistoria

I just ordered it two days ago. It is coming in next week. I am guessing that the pickups will not be any good. I just want a pickup that is versatile and for rock. I like just about every type of music. What would you guys suggest? You can listen to my music on SC: https://soundcloud.com/thomaspkoziara

Oh, I recorded Christina when I was only eighteen. It has lots of mistakes.

For me personally, it's a JB. I drop them in most guitars, have one in my PRS 7 and slays. Bare knuckles are nice, over priced IMO but that's just me, some love them and for good reason.

Blues and use to play metal. The JB is bright but clear. It's not muddy at all and I just love the tone of it. It not overly bright but it's great for blues and rock.

I'm still playing with pups on my PRS 7s, I'd suggest giving the stock pups a try before discarding them. I think the HFS/Vintage combo in the 7 sounds better than the HFS/Vintage combo in my PRS SE Custom 24/6. I actually think they're great all-rounders, I'm just going for something different than usual, hence some extensive experimentation on my part.

That said, the JBs certainly aren't a bad suggestions, they're one of the ones I'm trying with high hopes as keepers. They're also frequently paired with the jazz pickups, which also come in a 7-string version. I'm trying a different pickup instead of the jazz (another jazz pickup called Benedetto B-7), but the guitar needs routing to fit, so I can't recommend that unless you've heard them (I think they're supposed to go on top of 7-string archtops, which is why they're not standard humbucker sized).

I also just found out that Tom Anderson will sell his 7-string pickups, so intend to try a couple of those.

I guess it depends on what type of sound you want?

Last edited:
I'd also say give the stock pickups a try! I think you'll find them versatile enough.
If you were to change them I'd go for a Di Marzio PAF7 set. Respond very well to everything from high gain to Jazzy clean. (I have them in an Ibanez RG7620).

Oh, I forgot to mention that I want a vibrant and punchy bottom end. I have a PRS SE Standard. Its bottom end is just not that great. I play it through a JCM900.

For me I found the stock pickups to be muddy. I play through a Mesa dual rec, a fender blues Jr. And I also own a kemper. What I like about the JB is the clarity of the pickup. It's a tough decision as there are so many choices.

Do yourself a favour and contact Wade Westbrook at Motor City Pickups... He's making some killer hand wound monsters.

His website is not great (still under construction) but every pickup I've had from Wade has been a stone cold killer!... Afwayu bridge and 2nd degree black belt in the neck is a perfect choice for my C# tuned Les Paul Custom.

From Seymour Duncan the Nazgul and Sentient is also a killer pairing, have them on my hot rodded SE7.

Last edited:
Splurge for a set of Bare Knuckle Juggernauts and be done with it. Extremely versatile, can do anything from jazz through metal. Med/High output, extreme clarity, articulate and dynamic. The Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Pegasus and the Sentient are great as well but the Juggs are just too tough to match.

r0dmx5.jpg

The guitar came in. The pickups are pretty good, but I need to put some 11 gauge strings in it now.

When you guys bought your 7 string guitars, were strings constantly buzzing on the fretboard? Mine buzzed way too much. 9s are definitely meant for this guitar. Mine is 2013. It might not have been taken care of since 2013.

All my guitars buzz on the lower E and B strings on the fretboard. I just assumed it was my playing until recently, but I also haven't had but one or two of my guitars professionally set up, so...I'm not a good person to ask.

Not a huge deal if they buzz unplugged, but if they buzz plugged into an amp it's an issue. I'd suggest a full setup if the guitar is used. Good possibility no one has adjusted anything. If you change string gauges you definitely need a full setup.

Dusty gave great advice. Listen before you begin changing stuff. As a newbie here, i am puzzled by this never ending question of "I just bought this pretty high end guitar and want to change x, y and z. In this case, the guitar has not even hit the doorstep yet and the soldering iron is out? Kind of puzzled?

Dusty gave great advice. Listen before you begin changing stuff. As a newbie here, i am puzzled by this never ending question of "I just bought this pretty high end guitar and want to change x, y and z. In this case, the guitar has not even hit the doorstep yet and the soldering iron is out? Kind of puzzled?

Sounds like the Les Paul R-8,9,0 guys. Pile of parts waiting for a new guitar that they haven't even plugged-in. :dontknow:

The guitar came in. The pickups are pretty good, but I need to put some 11 gauge strings in it now.

When you guys bought your 7 string guitars, were strings constantly buzzing on the fretboard? Mine buzzed way too much. 9s are definitely meant for this guitar. Mine is 2013. It might not have been taken care of since 2013.

My SE-7 did not buzz with the stick strings. I don't even recall adjusting anything, it played well straight out of the box. I did put heavier gauge strings on, the "top 7" of a D'Addario 8-string set, "light top / heavy bottom set" (resulting in Plain Steel .010, .013 .017, Nickel Wound .030, .042, .054, .064, leaving the .074 unused).

if you put the heavier strings on you might find the buzz goes away, because the heavier gauge will pull the neck forward more, giving you slightly higher action. At any rate, don't adjust anything until you put the heavier strings on, because any set up you do for the stock .009s will not be quite right for .011s.

I adjusted it. It is better now, but that damn buzz makes me put the guitar down every time. I bought DR 11s for it from Musician's Friend, but they are on backorder.

My issue now is if I should sell my SE Standard that I bought earlier this year. The SE Standard sounds darker than my SE-7. They each offer two different types of sounds. The SE-7 sounds a lot airier than the SE Standard. It is nice. Its pickups are very different, too. I will let you guys know what I will do.

Back