Which one suprised you the most?

Man, I've tried to like the Clapton Strat. I've owned 3 of them. The last one with the Noiseless pickups sounded the best. I just can't get along with that vintage wire. Apparently, EC doesn't either. Word on the street is that his personal guitars, all have superglue finishes on the neck and medium jumbos. I think I will probably get another one. And I'm pretty sure before I ever plug it in, I'm going to send it in for stainless steel jumbos or medium jumbos, and a Plek job. Enjoy!

For me it was this one:

I had never played a Strat before ordering the EC Strat. I did not get on well with the few 3 pick up guitars I tried. The fret wire is vintage i.e. small. I preferred a shorter scale length. I always preferred HB's. In short there was absolutely no reason why I should like this guitar. I don't like it. I love it.

My first foray into the world of electric guitars was by virtue of an Oscar Schmidt Delta King Semi hollow and I couldn't bond with it no matter what I did to get the intonation right. Traded it for a PRS SE CU24 and it was night and day. Even though I later decided that I didn't like the zebra pups (based on looks alone), I went on to my present stable today. I value the opinions of the forum members today to the point that I have no desire to venture outside looking for that elusive "perfect" guitar. As far as I am concerned, with PRS I do not have to worry about quality, play-ability, or tone. It is all good and I think I'm all set for life!

Happy man here!

If you're buying it, it's whatever you want it to be
Agreed but if you're buying a guitar you want it to play and sound like a guitar. If it plays like a malformed mandolin with the most beautiful finish in the whole world, what use is it?

Target practice, that's about it especially if it has a bullseye finish.

I dare to talk straight. I went to my local GC to play a DGT. I wanted to compare it soundwise with my 513. The certain DGT is a Private Stock. The specs list shows up with fine wood selection. The luthiers at PS worked well.
I ran the DGT (and my 513) straight through a Mesa Mark V combo, the EQ was adjusted in neutral position (12 o'clock), first with low drive/gain, then crunch, then full gain.
As a general notice the DGT sounded dully, the coiltap function wasn't very articulated, the volume poti wasn't as effective in pushing the drive or going to clean.
My 513 in comparision worked as I'm used to (with my gear at home), all modi could be realized, the volume poti allowed all shades from clean, snappy clean, crunch.
The dealer told me, that the strings weren't new, but I replied that I re-strung my 513 with D'Addario NYXL in SEP 15.
Anyways. This certain DGT surprised me in a negative way.

I expected to like my Baja tele, my Squier 51 and my Gibby Melody Maker as I had heard so many good things about them. And lo and behold, I did!

Bear in mind there are so many on so many other forums that rag on PRS guitars, I didn't expect to like my two SEs as much as I do.

Both of them have been great, and I love the wide/fat necks on them.

Agreed but if you're buying a guitar you want it to play and sound like a guitar. If it plays like a malformed mandolin with the most beautiful finish in the whole world, what use is it?

Target practice, that's about it especially if it has a bullseye finish.

While I personally would want it to play and sound good, someone else may be purchasing it as art. If that's what they want, and they're spending their own money, who am I to tell them they're wrong?

While I personally would want it to play and sound good, someone else may be purchasing it as art. If that's what they want, and they're spending their own money, who am I to tell them they're wrong?
Exactly.
I know a woman with a really nice hollowbody she got just to look beautiful, and perhaps someday to pass on to a relative. She made some choices I probably wouldn't have made, but was a thing of beauty. And I'm sure it sounded every bit as good as mine.

If that's what they want, and they're spending their own money, who am I to tell them they're wrong?

Oh, they may think they can just go ahead and "do their own thing."

But I say you get to tell them they're wrong because you are The Man.

And that's what The Man does. ;)

My SE One (for the most part). It was so cheap I couldn't afford not to buy it, even if it sucked. It ended up being the deal of the century and one of my favorite guitars to play.

I say, "for the most part" because I'd already owned other PRSi and had played many other core and PS examples and knew of the PRS consistency. The SE models carried over that level of quality.

Back