Which one of you beat me to buying this (PS Violin Pernambuco)?

Once again: One does not simply sell a Violin Mccarty at that price

Not that I have an issue with capitalism or buying/selling for profit, but I do wish this would’ve ended up with someone here or someone that would treasure it for the guitar that it is. Hopefully one day.

Hey all, I'm looking for a Dragon I or III but when this guitar was listed a few days ago it peeked my interest.

Practicing due diligence, I found pics of the guitar when it was being sold as new from Dream Guitars. First thing I noticed was the original fingerboard looked different from the current pics so I started doing some comparisons. I found the writing on the back of headstock looked similar but after comparing they are different. I had an offer in on the guitar and asked the seller if he knew anything about the discrepancies from when the guitar was new.

I will say that the seller was transparent with me once I pressed on what I was seeing.

This is what I found out:
The guitar was Re-necked at PRS. Original Pernambuco neck had a crack and it went back to the factory. Sat at PRS for a couple years and Dave’s Guitars got it back during COVID pandemic. The guitar also had a total refinish. He said Dave's Guitars said they used the original headstock veneer and fingerboard to re-neck the guitar. I'm not sold on that after comparing pics.

My gut told me it was a re-neck and sure enough that is what happened. I suggested he revise the listing and the seller was kind and said he was going to.

I hope this is good info to share...

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm looking for a Dragon I or III but when this guitar was listed a few days ago it peeked my interest.

Practicing due diligence, I found pics of the guitar when it was being sold as new from Dream Guitars. First thing I noticed was the original fingerboard looked different from the current pics so I started doing some comparisons. I found the writing on the back of headstock looked similar at first but after comparing they are different. I had an offer in on the guitar and asked the seller if he knew anything about the discrepancies from when the guitar was new.

I will say that the seller was transparent with me once I pressed on what I was seeing.

This is what I found out:
The guitar was Re-necked at PRS. Original Pernambuco neck had a crack and it went back to the factory. Sat at PRS for a couple years and Dave’s Guitars got it back during COVID pandemic. The guitar also had a total refinish. He said Dave's Guitars said they used the original headstock veneer and fingerboard to re-neck the guitar. I'm not sold on that after comparing pics.

My gut told me it was a re-neck and sure enough that is what happened. I suggested he revise the listing and the seller was kind and said he was going to.

I hope this is good info to share...
Wow, that explains the original price at Dave’s! Thank you for sharing the details.

I love the Dragon III as well - not sure, but I think JD at Guitar Mav has (or had?) one. Might want to check with him.

Oh so is the neck still pernambuco? That’s crucial to the identity of the Violin I guitar series. PRS ran out of pernambuco supply long ago.

Oh so is the neck still pernambuco? That’s crucial to the identity of the Violin I guitar series. PRS ran out of pernambuco supply long ago.
I wonder if they were able to repair the crack? Or is this why it was at PRS for a couple of years - they had to source another Pernie log.

I don’t think they would try to repair the crack.
That was my thought as well. From the seller pictures it does look like Pernie, but definitely a wild card until more detail is shared.

That was my thought as well. From the seller pictures it does look like Pernie, but definitely a wild card until more detail is shared.

I didn't find out any more info from the seller. I do know that for me, my interest in the guitar went away after being disclosed details around the neck.

I didn't find out any more info from the seller. I do know that for me, my interest in the guitar went away after being disclosed details around the neck.
Agreed! I’d love to have a Pernie neck with a Pattern carve (the one I have is Pattern Regular which feels too small now as I get older). But it won’t be this one.

Back