Which one of you beat me to buying this (PS Violin Pernambuco)?

geese_com

GJ is The Way
At $5,995 for a Private Stock Violin McCarty with a Pernambuco neck and Celtic Knots, this was a heck of a deal. I check Dave's site every day, but did not check it until later today than usual.

161724D-600x862.jpg

https://davesguitar.com/products/paul-reed-smith/private-stock-violin-mccarty-10/

If it was one of you, I call dibs at the price you bought it for :p

Not me. I check often for used PS in particular and didn't even see that one.
They price used gear to move, PS guitars in particular seem to always land at $6-6.5k.
There was a spectacular used/mint HBII 594 a few months ago and it was gone in a few hours.

In short if you see one you like, don't think too hard about it.

I would have been all over that in a nano second! Been looking for a thicker neck carve on a Pernie neck for a while now. Sigh!

Sheesh that’s a marlin slipped though right there. A Pernambuco Violin Mccarty! Why would anyone price it that low? It’s crazy.

Ya mean something like the Private Stock SC that Righteous Guitars has in stock??
I’ve been tracking that one for a few years. :) Unfortunately it’s too heavy for me (>9lbs) plus I really want Celtic Knots for inlays!

Reading off my copy of the PRS Electric Guitar Book:

“The very expensive Private Stock Violin (Mccarty) Guitar of 2010 was the latest version of Smith’s vision of how good a solidbody electric guitar can be. The year before, the Paul’s 28 run had showed he was back to getting his hands dirty with the Private Stock team. Those and the Violin Guitar encapsulated all he’d learned so far. “If it was up to me, all we’d make would be Violin Guitars,” Smith told me at the time...

..Like the Paul’s 28 guitars, the Violin used a neck made from pernambuco. This South American wood, Smith enthused, had a great sound. “Have you heard a piece of it ring?”...

...With the Violin Guitar, Smith was asking the same basic question that has always eaten away at him: is it possible to make a better instrument? “At some point,” he said, “the string doesn’t have enough weight to do any better....I think I’m there. I think I’m at the limit to the amount of energy the guitar string can put out”

Back