Which one of you beat me to buying this (PS Violin Pernambuco)?

Utkarsh

A Les Paul guy who loves PRSs
My God! What a steal. I would clicked buy on within a second of seeing this

Tonart

Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

Once again: One does not simply sell a Violin Mccarty at that price

veinbuster

Zombie Three, DFZ

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
Not that I have an issue with capitalism or buying/selling for profit, but I do wish this would’ve ended up with someone here or someone that would treasure it for the guitar that it is. Hopefully one day.

Formvar

Hey all, I'm looking for a Dragon I or III but when this guitar was listed a few days ago it peeked my interest.

Practicing due diligence, I found pics of the guitar when it was being sold as new from Dream Guitars. First thing I noticed was the original fingerboard looked different from the current pics so I started doing some comparisons. I found the writing on the back of headstock looked similar but after comparing they are different. I had an offer in on the guitar and asked the seller if he knew anything about the discrepancies from when the guitar was new.

I will say that the seller was transparent with me once I pressed on what I was seeing.

This is what I found out:
The guitar was Re-necked at PRS. Original Pernambuco neck had a crack and it went back to the factory. Sat at PRS for a couple years and Dave’s Guitars got it back during COVID pandemic. The guitar also had a total refinish. He said Dave's Guitars said they used the original headstock veneer and fingerboard to re-neck the guitar. I'm not sold on that after comparing pics.

My gut told me it was a re-neck and sure enough that is what happened. I suggested he revise the listing and the seller was kind and said he was going to.

I hope this is good info to share...

Last edited:

WA Paul

All dogs go to heaven
Hey all, I'm looking for a Dragon I or III but when this guitar was listed a few days ago it peeked my interest.

Practicing due diligence, I found pics of the guitar when it was being sold as new from Dream Guitars. First thing I noticed was the original fingerboard looked different from the current pics so I started doing some comparisons. I found the writing on the back of headstock looked similar at first but after comparing they are different. I had an offer in on the guitar and asked the seller if he knew anything about the discrepancies from when the guitar was new.

I will say that the seller was transparent with me once I pressed on what I was seeing.

This is what I found out:
The guitar was Re-necked at PRS. Original Pernambuco neck had a crack and it went back to the factory. Sat at PRS for a couple years and Dave’s Guitars got it back during COVID pandemic. The guitar also had a total refinish. He said Dave's Guitars said they used the original headstock veneer and fingerboard to re-neck the guitar. I'm not sold on that after comparing pics.

My gut told me it was a re-neck and sure enough that is what happened. I suggested he revise the listing and the seller was kind and said he was going to.

I hope this is good info to share...
Wow, that explains the original price at Dave’s! Thank you for sharing the details.

I love the Dragon III as well - not sure, but I think JD at Guitar Mav has (or had?) one. Might want to check with him.

Tonart

Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?
Oh so is the neck still pernambuco? That’s crucial to the identity of the Violin I guitar series. PRS ran out of pernambuco supply long ago.

WA Paul

All dogs go to heaven
Oh so is the neck still pernambuco? That’s crucial to the identity of the Violin I guitar series. PRS ran out of pernambuco supply long ago.
I wonder if they were able to repair the crack? Or is this why it was at PRS for a couple of years - they had to source another Pernie log.

WA Paul

All dogs go to heaven
I don’t think they would try to repair the crack.
That was my thought as well. From the seller pictures it does look like Pernie, but definitely a wild card until more detail is shared.

Formvar

That was my thought as well. From the seller pictures it does look like Pernie, but definitely a wild card until more detail is shared.

I didn't find out any more info from the seller. I do know that for me, my interest in the guitar went away after being disclosed details around the neck.

WA Paul

All dogs go to heaven
I didn't find out any more info from the seller. I do know that for me, my interest in the guitar went away after being disclosed details around the neck.
Agreed! I’d love to have a Pernie neck with a Pattern carve (the one I have is Pattern Regular which feels too small now as I get older). But it won’t be this one.