Which one is the best superstrat-style guitar? (PRS, Suhr, Music Man, Hamer)

belensky

Many of us love super strat style guitars, with thin neck, high output pickups and tremolo that allow to do some insane Dive-bombs. So I recorded some of my favourite guitars, to see how they hold up together. This is long video, because I was trying to show as many sounds as I could. but below the video you can find timecodes for faster navigation.

Unfortunately I didn't have any Jackson, Kramer, Ibanez, ESP guitars at the moment, so there isn't a comprehensive superstrat battle, but I did my best. Maybe next time I'll have more guitars to try.

Obviously, every guitar makes you play differently; strings, pickups weren't the same, so take this review with a grain of salt. My playing is not the best but im not auditioning for you band anyway :)

Gear Used,
Guitars: 1989 Hamer Californian, 2013 Suhr Modern, 2016 Music Man Majesty, 1998 Music Man Axis, 2005 PRS Custom 22
Amps & Cabs: Diezel Herbert MK1, 4x12 Diezel Cabinet with Eminence Governor Speakers,
Effects and other stuff: Eventide H3000 for Delay and Modulation, UAD Apollo, Suhr Reactive Load, OwnHammer IR's, Logic Pro X

I wouldn't consider any of these to be a 'Super-Strat' - to me a Super Strat is a HSH guitar - probably with 24 frets and a trem - a guitar that can also give more stratty tones - the Ibanez Jem being the classic example of a 'Super Strat' - often has a bolt on neck too like a Strat. Its a 'Super Strat' because its more a strat+, a strat on steroids...

Most of these I would consider more of a modern double humbucker guitar - a 'Super-Les Paul' if anything. Using the classic double Humbucker formula but adding a Trem and making the guitar lighter by doing a thinner body and double-cut. The Custom 22 is a good example of this - it even shares the same type of woods in its construction.

I wouldn't consider any of these to be a 'Super-Strat' - to me a Super Strat is a HSH guitar - probably with 24 frets and a trem - a guitar that can also give more stratty tones - the Ibanez Jem being the classic example of a 'Super Strat' - often has a bolt on neck too like a Strat. Its a 'Super Strat' because its more a strat+, a strat on steroids...

Most of these I would consider more of a modern double humbucker guitar - a 'Super-Les Paul' if anything. Using the classic double Humbucker formula but adding a Trem and making the guitar lighter by doing a thinner body and double-cut. The Custom 22 is a good example of this - it even shares the same type of woods in its construction.

well I had what I had :)
I think it's hard to deny that all of guitars share some Superstrat DNA. I was thinking that superstrat is something with humbucker in bridge, two way tremolo(idealy Floyd rose) hi fret access and speedy neck.
I wish I had PRS with tremolo in that video, that would make more justice, because with fix bridge, PRS here is clearly more in Gibson side of things.

I like hamer the most, but it has very specific voice that I'm after. it's not most universal jack of all trades type of guitar. but for me it has the mojo of very old guitars, I feels similar like old Gibsons, or really god reissues.
PRS sounds good, but couple others PRS I had wasn't as god as this one.
Suhr has one of the best guild quality as far as wood, and material selection goes, but I feel like pickups there emphasising some different frequencies that guitar produces
majesty sounds lame unplugged it has to do with very small body and, I'm firm believer that you guitar has to have some wood and weight to sound good but plugged to amp it sounds better than unplugged.
I like MM Axis in this video, some people disliked that guitar, maybe it has to do with the strings being oldest on that guitar.

I don't understand why I hardly ever see Don Grosh pop up when it comes to good (excelent) strat type guitars. I've played several Hss or HsH with Floyds and trad.trem.
Not one was a bad one. I own a Quilt Bent top custom and the buildquality is outstanding. Then there's also Tyler although I don't like the headstock...

Back