Which of these three PRS guitars would you buy and why?

This reminds me of...me!

I had a really nice Rick 12-string in the 90s. Loved the jangle, but I'm pretty sure I sold the guitar instead of changing the strings. ;)

Yep, it's Rick 12 string and either I have to restring it very soon or sell it! But the jangle is just unlike anything else .....

Yep, it's Rick 12 string and either I have to restring it very soon or sell it! But the jangle is just unlike anything else .....

I've had a couple of them actually; one was a 360-12, the other was a Tom Petty model that was pretty interesting. I did restring the 360 a couple of times. I swore an awful lot.

I'd imagine it's easier on the PRS 12 with the PRS tuners.

I've had a couple of them actually; one was a 360-12, the other was a Tom Petty model that was pretty interesting. I did restring the 360 a couple of times. I swore an awful lot.

I'd imagine it's easier on the PRS 12 with the PRS tuners.

Does 'pretty interesting' mean not quite what you expected? And, perhaps more importantly, would restringing be easier with the electric screwdriver type 'power peg winder' (hate the name Ernie Ball gives it) as that maybe my best hope here?

Does 'pretty interesting' mean not quite what you expected? And, perhaps more importantly, would restringing be easier with the electric screwdriver type 'power peg winder' (hate the name Ernie Ball gives it) as that maybe my best hope here?

I was using 'interesting' in an entirely positive sense. It was the nicest 12 string I've ever played (I haven't played a PRS 12 string, though). The neck was much wider than the usual Rick necks, and there were 12 individual saddles, which was unique for that brand.

On the power peg winder thing, I've never tried one! I tried a hand crank winder many years ago with a Martin, and somehow the thing got wobbly and I chipped the finish.

I needed grief counseling.

If I'm holding a power tool, and I'm near a guitar, the tool will somehow escape my grip, and fall onto the guitar.

There's some sort of voodoo magnetism at work. Les + tool + guitar = danger. ;)

Like Les said depends on what you like, trem vs no trem, neck carve etc.
My take is that the DGT is just a solid and versatile instrument for damn near any style - there are no bad tones in a DGT. In my avatar I am playing a 513 (predecessor of the 509) I had a hard time finding ground that wasn't covered by the DGT. Now the 594 is definitely something that has peaked my interest as the few I have played are massive sounding and feel amazing - with that said -- I will probably pick one up but not until I get a 2nd DGT (artist grade)
SO I say get a DGT because why not

I have a PRS CE24 satin nitro in faded purple burst. It's my first PRS guitar and I love the way it feels and plays. I am saving up to find it's companion, something that tonally compliments it whilst giving a different sound and I am looking at the following three guitars. Which one would you choose and why?

PRS McCarty single cut 594 (purpleburst)

PRS DGT Dave Grissom Trem (black gold wrap)

PRS USA 509 (fire red burst)

All sound advice gratefully received :)
I agree with all the folks who recommend choosing whichever one is the most different from the guitar that you already own.

However, if forced to decide, I'd always go with whichever one is the most purple.

I was using 'interesting' in an entirely positive sense. It was the nicest 12 string I've ever played (I haven't played a PRS 12 string, though). The neck was much wider than the usual Rick necks, and there were 12 individual saddles, which was unique for that brand.

On the power peg winder thing, I've never tried one! I tried a hand crank winder many years ago with a Martin, and somehow the thing got wobbly and I chipped the finish.

I needed grief counseling.

If I'm holding a power tool, and I'm near a guitar, the tool will somehow escape my grip, and fall onto the guitar.

There's some sort of voodoo magnetism at work. Les + tool + guitar = danger. ;)

I am hopelessly accident prone. I take this warning to heart!

Like Les said depends on what you like, trem vs no trem, neck carve etc.
My take is that the DGT is just a solid and versatile instrument for damn near any style - there are no bad tones in a DGT. In my avatar I am playing a 513 (predecessor of the 509) I had a hard time finding ground that wasn't covered by the DGT. Now the 594 is definitely something that has peaked my interest as the few I have played are massive sounding and feel amazing - with that said -- I will probably pick one up but not until I get a 2nd DGT (artist grade)
SO I say get a DGT because why not
:eek:)

The general consensus is overwhelmingly in favour of the 594, especially if it is in purple :). And think long and hard before buying a power string winder. There are few other places that will allow me to leave with such hard-won wisdom, I thank you all!

:eek:)

The general consensus is overwhelmingly in favour of the 594, especially if it is in purple :). And think long and hard before buying a power string winder. There are few other places that will allow me to leave with such hard-won wisdom, I thank you all!

A quick update: after testing all these guitars and several more, I fell hook line and sinker for ...... (drum roll) ....... a custom 22 piezo 10 top, black gold wrap. It just arrived so I guess that counts as new guitar day. Thanks for all the advice. As ever I went with the one that refused to let go of me!

Last edited:
This is the most dependable method known to man! Congrats. :)

Thank you. Looking at the excellent collection of guitars you list, I may have a couple more moments like this in my life to look forward to :)

A quick update: after testing all these guitars and several more, I fell hook line and sinker for ...... (drum roll) ....... a custom 22 piezo 10 top, black gold wrap. It just arrived so I guess that counts as new guitar day. Thanks for all the advice. As ever I went with the one that refused to let go of me!

dude... pics!?

That's a rock'n roll move!

I would if I knew how. Tried the obvious things but the only option I have is to supply a url whereas they are on my hard drive :(
You need to upload them to a 3rd-party photo hosting site like Imgur. Then you get the link from there, and paste in to your post (using the Image tool if the link copied doesn't already have "IMG" tags).

Oh, and congrats! P22 (CU22 Piezo) is an awesome guitar - I have a P24 in Black Gold wrap. Stoptail, I assume?

You need to upload them to a 3rd-party photo hosting site like Imgur. Then you get the link from there, and paste in to your post (using the Image tool if the link copied doesn't already have "IMG" tags).

Oh, and congrats! P22 (CU22 Piezo) is an awesome guitar - I have a P24 in Black Gold wrap. Stoptail, I assume?

Yes, stop tail.

I tried Imgur. Spent ages registering and doing all the 'I am not a robot' pictures and then the site just froze everytime. It clearly doesn't want me to post pictures of my new guitar :(

Back