Which of these three PRS guitars would you buy and why?

I disagree absolutely.
Color rules are simple : No blue, only purple, if its not purple there is a big chance that it wont look good. Some burst or natural finishes can look good too but they only are exceptions.
According to SDB rule : "Looking good is a prerequisite to good sounding", you need to think of the look first.[/QUOTE. I beg to differ good sir. to quote Phil Jacoby, esteemed luthier- owner of Philtone music- former PRS employee, and buddy of Dogrocketp, "Blue guitars sound better." That`s pretty scientific for the shores of the Chesapeake. Which is also blue by the bye.

Yes, there's not only a pickup difference, the neck carves and scale lengths are different, so the feel is different. Even the frets are different.

If you listen to David Grissom's recordings and video demos, you'll get an idea of the tones he goes for, and how the DGT pickups sound. There are tons of 594 demos out there as well, if you want to know how those pickups sound.

Both are great, and they're quite different, which is a good thing, because you'll want both. ;)

Seriously, you should play both, even if it means a day trip. You can't determine feel by remote control on the internet. Looking at specs and getting opinions from people with different hands, ears and brains than yours is a waste of time.

When buying an instrument there's only one way to know what you want: play the darn thing. Ebay is littered with used guitars -- "I didn't bond with it" -- bought on the internet instead of in stores where they could be played.

Agree with trying and there will be a day trip in the next couple of weeks to do just that. But it is really helpful to know what more experienced PRS players think rather than just reading the specs. I'm guessing there is no such thing as a bad PRS guitar but there are different experiences that can be learned from.

So heres my take

1) Don't worry to much you will over time end up with all of them and they are all great :)

509 - Longer scale ( 25 1/4 ) closer to "F" land but with a great Humbucker tone included and of course the PRS feel ( I have a 513 and love it )

DGT - Standard PRS 25" scale , the DTG neck carve is similar to the Pattern Reg but it has a great feel and the big frets make this guitar very interesting , when I played one a few weeks ago there was just something cool happening everything works together to be greater that just the spec sheet might say , I am trying to get a fellow forum brother to part with his BUT i don't think it will happen so I am on the lookout for a gold top with birds

594 - which one there are now 3 - DC -SC- SC P90 this is the hardest for me to recommend as I like the longer scales better but they are killer guitars the SC with the P-90s would be really cool
I will be holding out for a 594 Santana if that ever happens :)

Good hunting

Another piece of good advice, thank you. It's amazing how many people think I will own all three eventually - my bank card is whimpering in the corner already!

My Yin/Yang pairing are a Custom 24 and a McCarty (25" double cut).

The McCarty does the classic, Gibson-ish thing while the Custom 24 does the modern, Super Strat thing.

Another piece of good advice, thank you. It's amazing how many people think I will own all three eventually - my bank card is whimpering in the corner already!

I started with 1 PRS and now I have 10 and counting, I do not know anyone that only has 1 PRS guitar except someone who just got there first :)

I started with 1 PRS and now I have 10 and counting, I do not know anyone that only has 1 PRS guitar except someone who just got there first :)

I had one PRS from 1991-1998; one PRS in 2008-2009.

So now you can say you know someone that only has had 1 PRS a couple of times.

You have a CE24.

The SC594 is about as far from it as you can get with the three choices given, IMHO.

Go with the SC594.

The color match is a bonus!

SC594!

I've come to prefer 25" or under scale lengths so it would either be that or the DGT.

But also how important would a trem be to you?

I can live without it and don't really need it so I'm more in favour of a 594 where it feels like every feature is something I would commonly use.

e.g. roll back neck pickup volume for cleans (even coil split) and leave the bridge pickup at max for heavy rhythms so the pickup selector effectively acts as a channel switcher.

You can also do that on the DGT and even the 509 just with that theirs an extra step though.

But a setup similar to a custom 22 would be more pleasing aesthetically to me. Less is more vibe.

You know, I forgot all about the premise of the thread, which is, "Which one would you buy?"

I'd buy the 594.

You mislabeled the thread title. you need to add 'first' after 'buy'.

Tonally, I'd go 594, but I just can't get used to PRS headstock and lower horn scoop on a single cut. I've seen them with Santana headstock, which helps, but my brain is just completely LP wired on single cuts.
And the pickup switch position on the double-cut upper horn is killing me too.

To me PRS is about the custom double cut shape, body carve, (and the wood/colors). Also the Santana shape, because it's an early PRS design, and I personally like double-cuts with short horns.

Here's the deal-breaker on the DGT for me: Typically No birds.
I've passed (actually should read 'was able to quickly clear any GAS') on awesome used CEs and McCartys because of dots.

I don't like middle pickups, unless it's 3 single coils. I always feels they're in my way otherwise. Sonic versatility in a single guitar is good, except that's my excuse to the wife for having more than one guitar, so if a 509 showed up, I couldn't use that argument. I found that I like shorter scales. 25 being the max I can live with.

You mislabeled the thread title. you need to add 'first' after 'buy'.

Tonally, I'd go 594, but I just can't get used to PRS headstock and lower horn scoop on a single cut. I've seen them with Santana headstock, which helps, but my brain is just completely LP wired on single cuts.
And the pickup switch position on the double-cut upper horn is killing me too.

To me PRS is about the custom double cut shape, body carve, (and the wood/colors). Also the Santana shape, because it's an early PRS design, and I personally like double-cuts with short horns.

Here's the deal-breaker on the DGT for me: Typically No birds.
I've passed (actually should read 'was able to quickly clear any GAS') on awesome used CEs and McCartys because of dots.

I don't like middle pickups, unless it's 3 single coils. I always feels they're in my way otherwise. Sonic versatility in a single guitar is good, except that's my excuse to the wife for having more than one guitar, so if a 509 showed up, I couldn't use that argument. I found that I like shorter scales. 25 being the max I can live with.

I thought the birds thing was just me! That's the one looks thing that I think I should just get over, that the guitar is the thing, so I didn't mention it. But I love the birds and I was thinking it was totally dumb to make a decision based on the birds so it's nice to know someone else did it.

You know, I forgot all about the premise of the thread, which is, "Which one would you buy?"

I'd buy the 594.

I don't think you are the only one judging by the amount of people who keep advising me I'm merely debating purchase order!

I don't think you are the only one judging by the amount of people who keep advising me I'm merely debating purchase order!

It's because I bought one of the new 594 Soapbars, and love it. I got the Double Cut version (I have a McCarty Singlecut Private Stock for when I need that kinda thing). Anyway, the 594 Soapbar has the most amazingly great-feeling neck I've ever played, and I'm addicted to the tone.

I find the upper horn toggle switch is wonderfully convenient. I'm not a headstock-shape worrier (I have both PRS types, and with about two seconds of looking at a guitar as it's coming out of the case and going back in, it's entirely irrelevant to me; I'm not into hanging guitars on walls, I have paintings for when I need decor).

Also the 594 has the birds, though I've had a lot of bird-equipped PRSes; my next Private Stock will have the old dots with the moon inlays, just because they're awesome.

I've got a couple of trem-equipped PRS PS models, also, so the 594 was kind of a no-brainer. The bridge is wonderful, a brilliant design, sounds great, incredibly easy string changes. So for me that works, and you did ask what others would do.

That's not necessarily what you should do, however.

It's because I bought one of the new 594 Soapbars, and love it. I got the Double Cut version (I have a McCarty Singlecut Private Stock for when I need that kinda thing). Anyway, the 594 Soapbar has the most amazingly great-feeling neck I've ever played, and I'm addicted to the tone.

I find the upper horn toggle switch is wonderfully convenient. I'm not a headstock-shape worrier (I have both PRS types, and with about two seconds of looking at a guitar as it's coming out of the case and going back in, it's entirely irrelevant to me; I'm not into hanging guitars on walls, I have paintings for when I need decor).

Also the 594 has the birds, though I've had a lot of bird-equipped PRSes; my next Private Stock will have the old dots with the moon inlays, just because they're awesome.

I've got a couple of trem-equipped PRS PS models, also, so the 594 was kind of a no-brainer. The bridge is wonderful, a brilliant design, sounds great, incredibly easy string changes. So for me that works, and you did ask what others would do.

That's not necessarily what you should do, however.

I did ask and I appreciate all the experience that has been offered here, it tells me things really useful things that you don't always think about when making the decision. Like your comment about easy string changes. I have a 12 string electric and probably wished I thought about that before I got carried away with the sound of it.

I have a 12 string electric and probably wished I thought about that before I got carried away with the sound of it.

This reminds me of...me!

I had a really nice Rick 12-string in the 90s. Loved the jangle, but I'm pretty sure I sold the guitar instead of changing the strings. ;)

Back