Which of these three PRS guitars would you buy and why?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Cocorosa, Aug 22, 2017.

1. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

It won't :p

dogrocketp and sergiodeblanc like this.
  2. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

3. Cocorosa

Cocorosa New Member

Agree with trying and there will be a day trip in the next couple of weeks to do just that. But it is really helpful to know what more experienced PRS players think rather than just reading the specs. I'm guessing there is no such thing as a bad PRS guitar but there are different experiences that can be learned from.

4. Cocorosa

Cocorosa New Member

Another piece of good advice, thank you. It's amazing how many people think I will own all three eventually - my bank card is whimpering in the corner already!

AP515 likes this.
  5. Cocorosa

Cocorosa New Member

Fake tan is my friend here :)

6. jcha008

jcha008 New Member

All of them :D. But given the choice I'd go with the SC594.

7. Screamingdaisy

My Yin/Yang pairing are a Custom 24 and a McCarty (25" double cut).

The McCarty does the classic, Gibson-ish thing while the Custom 24 does the modern, Super Strat thing.

8. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

I started with 1 PRS and now I have 10 and counting, I do not know anyone that only has 1 PRS guitar except someone who just got there first :)

Casi1 and Elliot like this.
  9. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I had one PRS from 1991-1998; one PRS in 2008-2009.

So now you can say you know someone that only has had 1 PRS a couple of times.

10. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

You have a CE24.

The SC594 is about as far from it as you can get with the three choices given, IMHO.

Go with the SC594.

The color match is a bonus!

11. umo

umo New Member

SC594!

I've come to prefer 25" or under scale lengths so it would either be that or the DGT.

But also how important would a trem be to you?

I can live without it and don't really need it so I'm more in favour of a 594 where it feels like every feature is something I would commonly use.

e.g. roll back neck pickup volume for cleans (even coil split) and leave the bridge pickup at max for heavy rhythms so the pickup selector effectively acts as a channel switcher.

You can also do that on the DGT and even the 509 just with that theirs an extra step though.

But a setup similar to a custom 22 would be more pleasing aesthetically to me. Less is more vibe.

12. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

You know, I forgot all about the premise of the thread, which is, "Which one would you buy?"

I'd buy the 594.

Elliot likes this.
  13. MichaelS

MichaelS Jam. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

You mislabeled the thread title. you need to add 'first' after 'buy'.

Tonally, I'd go 594, but I just can't get used to PRS headstock and lower horn scoop on a single cut. I've seen them with Santana headstock, which helps, but my brain is just completely LP wired on single cuts.
    And the pickup switch position on the double-cut upper horn is killing me too.

To me PRS is about the custom double cut shape, body carve, (and the wood/colors). Also the Santana shape, because it's an early PRS design, and I personally like double-cuts with short horns.

Here's the deal-breaker on the DGT for me: Typically No birds.
    I've passed (actually should read 'was able to quickly clear any GAS') on awesome used CEs and McCartys because of dots.

I don't like middle pickups, unless it's 3 single coils. I always feels they're in my way otherwise. Sonic versatility in a single guitar is good, except that's my excuse to the wife for having more than one guitar, so if a 509 showed up, I couldn't use that argument. I found that I like shorter scales. 25 being the max I can live with.

owickerman likes this.
  14. Frank Morley

Frank Morley New Member

594 all the way.... the pickup options are incredible!

15. Cocorosa

Cocorosa New Member

I thought the birds thing was just me! That's the one looks thing that I think I should just get over, that the guitar is the thing, so I didn't mention it. But I love the birds and I was thinking it was totally dumb to make a decision based on the birds so it's nice to know someone else did it.

dogrocketp likes this.
  16. Cocorosa

Cocorosa New Member

I don't think you are the only one judging by the amount of people who keep advising me I'm merely debating purchase order!

17. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

It's because I bought one of the new 594 Soapbars, and love it. I got the Double Cut version (I have a McCarty Singlecut Private Stock for when I need that kinda thing). Anyway, the 594 Soapbar has the most amazingly great-feeling neck I've ever played, and I'm addicted to the tone.

I find the upper horn toggle switch is wonderfully convenient. I'm not a headstock-shape worrier (I have both PRS types, and with about two seconds of looking at a guitar as it's coming out of the case and going back in, it's entirely irrelevant to me; I'm not into hanging guitars on walls, I have paintings for when I need decor).

Also the 594 has the birds, though I've had a lot of bird-equipped PRSes; my next Private Stock will have the old dots with the moon inlays, just because they're awesome.

I've got a couple of trem-equipped PRS PS models, also, so the 594 was kind of a no-brainer. The bridge is wonderful, a brilliant design, sounds great, incredibly easy string changes. So for me that works, and you did ask what others would do.

That's not necessarily what you should do, however.

18. Cocorosa

Cocorosa New Member

I did ask and I appreciate all the experience that has been offered here, it tells me things really useful things that you don't always think about when making the decision. Like your comment about easy string changes. I have a 12 string electric and probably wished I thought about that before I got carried away with the sound of it.

19. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

This reminds me of...me!

I had a really nice Rick 12-string in the 90s. Loved the jangle, but I'm pretty sure I sold the guitar instead of changing the strings. ;)

20. Jimi D

Jimi D New Member

^^ this is the correct answer! ;)

dogrocketp likes this.