Which of these bolt-on guitars should PRS return to production?

Which of these bolt-on guitars should PRS return to production?

• CE24 (Alder Body, abalone dots) ('91-'94 style)

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • CE24 (Alder Body/Maple Top, abalone dots) ('91-94 style)

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Swamp Ash Special

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • NF3 ('11-'13 style)

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • DC3 ('11-'13 style)

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • EG3 ('90-'91 style)

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Hiland Signature

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Swamp Ash Narrowfield

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • CE22 (Alder Body)

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • CE22 (Alder Body/Maple Top)

Votes: 24 46.2%

• Total voters
I wish that I had kept my SAS. I sold it to buy another great core model. But I never liked the middle pickup and ended up disconnecting it.

I really wanted one of those. That is a standard size SC pickup, and easily replaceable with whatever SC middle you prefer.

I really wanted one of those. That is a standard size SC pickup, and easily replaceable with whatever SC middle you prefer.

I was thinking of swapping a Tele neck pickup, for the middle. At that time, I was going from Tele's to Gretsch guitars, while playing for Nashville artists. When I tried Filtertron type pickups in the SAS, they didn't give me the sound that I wanted due to the ash body. They came out with the core Starla's, and that was the direction that I took. Later I transitioned to PRS guitars, wired to work with the bridge humbucker and a split neck pickup. My SAS was the first guitar that wired this way. Today I have three Custom 22's that can do this. Two were wired that way from the factory (core), one (S2) that I re-wired. YMMV!

Last edited:
Looks like the predominant consensus is Swamp Ash Special? Does PRS currently make ANYTHING that captures the Telecaster vibe? They have Strat and Les Pauls locked down six ways from Sunday, but no real ash-bodied, twangy single coil bolt-necks.

I wish that I had kept my SAS. I sold it to buy another great core model. But I never liked the middle pickup and ended up disconnecting it.

I replaced the middle pickup with a Fralin Blues Special and then rewired it so pulling the volume push/pull disconnects the bridge pickup (Seymour Duncan JB) and turns the middle pickup on. Sounds great. I replaced the neck pickup with a P90 and removed the tone knob for a sweet switch. It sounds and plays great!

Back