Which of these bolt-on guitars should PRS return to production?

Which of these bolt-on guitars should PRS return to production?

• CE24 (Alder Body, abalone dots) ('91-'94 style)

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • CE24 (Alder Body/Maple Top, abalone dots) ('91-94 style)

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Swamp Ash Special

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • NF3 ('11-'13 style)

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • DC3 ('11-'13 style)

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • EG3 ('90-'91 style)

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Hiland Signature

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Swamp Ash Narrowfield

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • CE22 (Alder Body)

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • CE22 (Alder Body/Maple Top)

Votes: 24 46.2%

• Total voters
The Brent Mason signature, of course. And the Paul’s guitar, with trem. And the NF3. And the swamp ash special. And lastly, the 2008 Ted McCarty, with the Santana headstock! I foolishly sold mine off a few years ago, and I’m still kicking myself in the a$$ for it! And I think they need to make the modern eagle V a core guitar. It’s amazing how many killer guitars they’ve invented over the years when you think about it!
Oh, and one for the wish list: A Custom 24-08 semi hollow with a pattern neck!
PS…I know they’re not all bolt on models..I couldn’t help myself!

I have an 06 SAS that is honestly one of my most played PRS guitars. I have let other guitar players come up and play it at gigs and I always get good comments about how well it plays and sounds. I even have a list of people that I am supposed to call if I ever decide I want to sell it. I selected the SAS due to this.

I also liked the CE22 guitars a lot. I don't own one but would possibly consider picking one up if I found a nice one. I think these are in the same zone as the SAS.

As a newcomer to PRS guitars, I feel like I missed out on the best of their bolt-on guitars (Silver Sky excluded). There were so many interesting ones they made back in the day. Which one do you wish PRS should return to production?
You forgot to put a "none of the above" option in the poll.

Speaking only for myself here, but I've never loved bolt-on neck guitars, electric or acoustic. It's not like I haven't had a bunch, but I always wind up disgorging them.

So what if I'm a little crazy? At least I'm consistent! ;)

PRS seems to be testing the NF pickup waters. I get the impression that the marketplace failure of those pickups a decade ago felt pretty bitter. I supposed it depends on how the new Studio does.

I think all of that creativity that was on display around 2008-2012 produced some great guitars. That was a time when the market wasn’t conducive to innovative guitars. PRS as a company retreated to the mainstream, doing versions of classic guitars. 594, Silver Sky. As much as success has to feel good, making better versions of old instruments has to feel a bit bitter-sweet.

It makes me wonder what Paul might want to do as he approaches retirement.

Ash seems like it might be hard to source right now.

I put CE24. But seeing this poll result and the thread, maybe I should pull my SAS out of mothballs and give it another shot. I was thinking of selling it.

PRS seems to be testing the NF pickup waters. I get the impression that the marketplace failure of those pickups a decade ago felt pretty bitter. I supposed it depends on how the new Studio does.

I think all of that creativity that was on display around 2008-2012 produced some great guitars. That was a time when the market wasn’t conducive to innovative guitars. PRS as a company retreated to the mainstream, doing versions of classic guitars. 594, Silver Sky. As much as success has to feel good, making better versions of old instruments has to feel a bit bitter-sweet.

It makes me wonder what Paul might want to do as he approaches retirement.

Ash seems like it might be hard to source right now.
Well said. PRS, unlike some other companies typically puts alot of work and heart in to their new developments. The narrowfield is a great example of this. They were super pumped on them when they started putting them in to models, unfortunately at the time, many players didn't get them and wrote them off as just another mini humbucker. I was absolutely one of them. My NF3, I bought brand new for an absolute steal and it is absolutely a lifer guitar: those narrowfields are so versatile. You can go from a good single coil approximation to a super tight, punchy humbucker with a twist of the volume knob.

I would be eternally grateful, if PRS would revert the CE24 to the '91-'95 specs:

1. Alder/Maple body
2. Black painted headstock
3. HFS/VB pickups
4. Abalone dots (optional birds)
5. Small heel would be nice, but I can tolerate the big heel
6. Keep the 3-way toggle and push/pull pots though
7. Upgrade the bridge and tuners to Gen III & Phase II (or Phase III). Optional stop-tail

While I'm dreaming, make a piezo option...

Back