Which of these 2 guitars do I need next?

Five Nine Four. GO.

I've got a gorgeous S2 McCarty 594 Thinline that I love dearly – after years of looking for an SG that both sounded and felt good, and finding nothing (the current SG Standards sound good but their necks feel like the back of a Post-It note), I consider the Thinline "my SG." But overall, I'm just a 25" scale guy. All my most perfect-feeling guitars are 25s, from my SE Hollowbody Standard up to my original-spec McCarty.

I've got a gorgeous S2 McCarty 594 Thinline that I love dearly – after years of looking for an SG that both sounded and felt good, and finding nothing (the current SG Standards sound good but their necks feel like the back of a Post-It note), I consider the Thinline "my SG." But overall, I'm just a 25" scale guy. All my most perfect-feeling guitars are 25s, from my SE Hollowbody Standard up to my original-spec McCarty.
Your call, DA. Respect.

Your call, DA. Respect.

Thanks, bruv. Now I'm just hoping the DGT's frets won't be so tall that they throw me off. Other than that, I've got all the PRSes I really, really want – it would be killer to have a Hollowbody II or a Studio, but the DGT is the last of my dream guitars.

I'm looking to round out my animal sanctuary of semi-domesticated PRSes (gotta let ’em stay a little bit wild!), and the two guitars that I'm really interested in, both in themselves and as key parts of the PRS world, are a Core Studio 24 and a DGT. So here's the thing:

• I've got (and love) a new CE24, 2019 I believe, with the American-made 85/15 pickups, and to my understanding, a new CU24 would essentially be the same guitar but with a set neck rather than a bolt-on.

• I've also got (and love considerably more) a classic McCarty, from about 2005, and though the DGT certainly evolved from the McCarty, it seems like the differences between the two are more significant, and since I already love the McCarty, it's not like I'm going to mind them sharing a few traits.

So, the question: given the guitars I live with already (and I only mentioned 2, but there are about 8 or 9, SEs, S2s, and Cores, each of which I love in its own way), and given that I love them all but feel more strongly about the McCarty than the CE24, I should be looking at DGTs, right? It seems like they're going to be more different than what I play already, and they're going to be, well, not so much "more in my wheelhouse" as "more likely to push me in new directions."

Curious to hear from any McCarty players who've gotten DGTs, or vice versa: do you feel they're different enough to justify the outlay?

The answer is both lol ;). Always both

Back