Which new guitar? Suggestions?

The PRS Studio and Special are almost the same guitar in many ways - Both have the same body, neck and 3 pup design with a 5-way. The difference appears to be one is a Semi-hollow with HB Neck and the other Solid with NF in the neck. But its a bit more than just those differences - like I said, the way its wired to give both HB's in the middle position, the mini-toggles (easier than a push/pull pot) and the variety of tonal options that enables.

As the Studio and Special share the same Bridge and Middle Pup, same woods, same carves, same scale and same bridge, then there is a similarity, a crossover of tones. Bridge (ful or split) with/without the middle NF is basically the same on both, but then other '8' options of the Special or '3' of the Studio are quite different. The Special is more 'like' a Custom 22-08 with an 'extra' NF pup to give a few extra tonal variations - the Studio is more a 'traditional' 3 pick-up guitar with a HB bridge in that respect so despite looking very similar, there is quite a difference.

Most Specials also seem to be around the 7lb weight mark too which generally makes them lighter than Studio's too. You could say the Special is a Blend of the 594 HB and Studio in one instrument - not quite the same as 'each' individually - the Hollowness of the 594 is subtly different to a thinner body semi-hollow Special - different neck and bridge too, different scale etc but same pups and similar '8' tonal options and the NF in the middle covers 'similar' ground, albeit different due to a Different 'neck' Pup that can be Split to give a SC + NF (which is different to the the two NF's together of a Studio.
Thank you! Feels like Sophie's Choice, but with many choices. And they are ALL enticing!

The Vela will give you a voice that doesn't overlap heavily with your other guitars. It's lightweight, and an absolute ergonomic joy to play. The sound can best be described in traditional terms as the love child of a Tele and an SG that was raised by a Gretsch. Try one, you won't be disappointed :D
Is it easy to play for someone 5'6 with small hands?

Another vote for a DGT - love mine and I think it’ll give you some additional tones from what you currently have. The splits are so good on it and I love the neck. Also can’t go wrong with a special semi-hollow for something different
I considered the DGT before I got my Santana Retro, and ended up preferring the sound of the retro.

Ok, go ahead and say it. I'll admit, saying my last guitar was my last guitar may not have been correct. Since then, I bought a Kiesel Zeus, and while I really enjoyed playing it, it just didn't feel comfortable. Although, it really did confirm how much I really love my PRS guitars. Call me a fan boy, but I always come back to them when I play other guitars. So, I sold it and got a SE Zach Myers (2022) and that is much more comfortable and enjoyable to play! I had thought about switching out the hardware, but thus far the PU's and tail are really good. I will be switching the nut and tuners though and maybe the pots and toggle. (I can't do that, so I'll have someone else do it).

But anyway, I've been having to work a lot of overtime lately and consequently been able to save up some cash and I was thinking about buying an amp, quad core, or Axe FX. But, honestly, my Kemper, Boss Katana MKII 100, and PG Spark are more than enough for me. Which made me wonder about a guitar.
Currently, my line up is:
1976 Gibson ES-335
2008 McPherson MG3.5 (the only acoustic I will ever need and no other I've played comes close to this)
2007 CE-22 with Birds and Dragon II's
2018 McCarty 594 SC
2020 CU24
2020 McCarty 594 Hollowbody DC
2021 Silver Sky
2021 SE 277
2021 Fiore
2021 CE-24
2022 SE Zach Myers
2022 Studio
2022 Santana Retro

While I know many sing the praises of the SE line, I really feel a big difference between the SE and Core. I've previously owned an SE CU24 and played others and I myself notice a huge difference between the core and SE. I can't put my finger on it, but I just feel it. So, I'm leaning towards a Core model.
I found the 24.5 scale to fit my short stature best and would be great to find another, but 25 is about the longest I will consider.

Based on all of your knowledge and experience, any suggestions? I'm in no rush and currently my budget goes up to about 3500.00. More OT coming, lol.

Thanks!
I'd say you have a wonderful guitar collection, have the bases more than covered, and need nothing.

So in your shoes I'd buy a very expensive tube amp, or some equally expensive mics or recording gear. Not saying you should, it's just what I'd do.

I'm probably a bit off the beaten path. though.

I'd say you have a wonderful guitar collection, have the bases more than covered, and need nothing.

So in your shoes I'd buy a very expensive tube amp, or some equally expensive mics or recording gear. Not saying you should, it's just what I'd do.

No Les. You’re right on the $$. I think he has enough guitars:eek:

Thank you. You know I really thought about that and I haven't cemented my choice yet, but I play all my guitars and listen through and amp infrequently. I have more mics than I need for not being an engineer lol. But good ideas. More food for thought! I like it!

Last edited:
Thank you. You know I really thought about that and I have cemented my choice yet, but I play all my guitars and listen through and amp infrequently.
Interesting! Do you just listen to your guitars acoustically, through a modeler or plugin, or what?

I'm all about amps, it's probably a sickness. [insert laughing til I cry emoji}

Interesting! Do you just listen to your guitars acoustically, through a modeler or plugin, or what?

For the most part I listen to my Kemper, then headphones via my interface. I will connect the Kemper to my Katana Artist MkII or sometimes just use the MKII with the Boss Tone Studio. And sometimes I'll just plug in to my Spark. But I really enjoy headphones. I get lost in it.

Why the ME V? if I could swing the price by selling a couple guitars...
Extremely diverse guitar. 21 usable sounds. 408 TCI pickups have the best single coil sounds of any other humbuckers. Humbucker sounds are great also, very articulate. A true Swiss Army knife of guitar.

MEV is my favorite PRS model, a close second is Paul’s guitar post 2018, must have 408 TCI pickups. Both have 25” scale

Extremely diverse guitar. 21 usable sounds. 408 TCI pickups have the best single coil sounds of any other humbuckers. Humbucker sounds are great also, very articulate. A true Swiss Army knife of guitar.

MEV is my favorite PRS model, a close second is Paul’s guitar post 2018, must have 408 TCI pickups. Both have 25” scale
I do like the sounds of Paul's guitar and the neck shape is similar to my Studio which I find comfortable. Hmm..It's cost is a bit more than Paul's guitar. I'd have to see. Thank you for the suggestion.

Well I decided to sell a couple guitars to finance it (sales pending lol) and got a Modern Eagle V wood library (new) and will arrive tomorrow! I’m excited. It will almost be my most expensive guitar (just under my McPherson).

Not a sickness, it’s a gift of insight! You can add a new flavor to the same guitar by using a different amp or even a different speaker cabinet. And buying an amp, even a boutique one, is often cheaper than adding a core or higher PRS guitar. Add in that it speads that new flavor to every guitar you have. Definitely worth a look for anyone considering ways to add to their tone palette.

This is my last ... last guitar

Until my next one... :p

I always completely stop buying guitars between purchases.

Back