Which new guitar? Suggestions?

Another vote for a DGT - love mine and I think it’ll give you some additional tones from what you currently have. The splits are so good on it and I love the neck. Also can’t go wrong with a special semi-hollow for something different

The Vela will give you a voice that doesn't overlap heavily with your other guitars. It's lightweight, and an absolute ergonomic joy to play. The sound can best be described in traditional terms as the love child of a Tele and an SG that was raised by a Gretsch. Try one, you won't be disappointed :D

That pretty much sums it up. You’ve got all your other PRS bases covered (including the best PRS, the CE-22), now you need something that is the anti-PRS. Luckily, PRS has you covered even with that. Behold the Vela.

I'd recommend the Special Semi-Hollow - a bit different from the Studio and more of a blend between the Studio and 594. You do get basically all the 594 tonal options as well as some of the Studio options and a couple of slight variations (the neck, neck & NF). I don't know how much you use the Studio Middle NF on its own or prefer the middle on the 594 (both HB's) but you also get a trem, which you don't with the 594, so may have enough unique features to add something to your collection

The 509/513 are very interesting instruments if you can stretch to a 25.25" scale.

Pauls Guitar is great too - more a different flavour of 22fret 2 Pup guitar as most of the other models are. It just depends on what you want - Trem/hard tail, Pick-ups and/or layout. A DGT is a Signature variation of the McCarty - with extra Tone pot, DGT Pups and trem for example as well as its own neck carve. Then you have a variety of Cu24's (from the regular with 5-way, 24-08, Floyd or with a Piezo) and a Santana if you want a 24 fret, 24.5" scale.

Then you have the Hollowbodies - 594 and HBii - both have very similar specs in a lot of ways, but maybe you'd prefer a Piezo over independent tone/volume and Coil splits.

At the end of the day, whatever model you buy, you can't really go wrong with, just 'wrong' for you which is something only you will know. I know I recommended the Special, but in reality I could recommend all the PRS models I've owned/played but I also know that it has to work for you, not me. No point recommending a Cu24 Floyd for example if what you really like is more 'vintage' style instruments and their sound - the \m/ pups, whilst superb, may not suit your taste and/or set-up.

Point is, Everyone here will have their own preferences and ideas but only you will know whether it works for you. Instead of pointing you in a certain direction, I'll actually suggest you enjoy the voyage of discovery as you try new guitars...

The Vela will give you a voice that doesn't overlap heavily with your other guitars. It's lightweight, and an absolute ergonomic joy to play. The sound can best be described in traditional terms as the love child of a Tele and an SG that was raised by a Gretsch. Try one, you won't be disappointed :D
I wish there was a place around here to try more PRS other than just SE's around here. It surprises me in the Phoenix area, there isn't a better option for guitars.

I'd recommend the Special Semi-Hollow - a bit different from the Studio and more of a blend between the Studio and 594. You do get basically all the 594 tonal options as well as some of the Studio options and a couple of slight variations (the neck, neck & NF). I don't know how much you use the Studio Middle NF on its own or prefer the middle on the 594 (both HB's) but you also get a trem, which you don't with the 594, so may have enough unique features to add something to your collection

The 509/513 are very interesting instruments if you can stretch to a 25.25" scale.

Pauls Guitar is great too - more a different flavour of 22fret 2 Pup guitar as most of the other models are. It just depends on what you want - Trem/hard tail, Pick-ups and/or layout. A DGT is a Signature variation of the McCarty - with extra Tone pot, DGT Pups and trem for example as well as its own neck carve. Then you have a variety of Cu24's (from the regular with 5-way, 24-08, Floyd or with a Piezo) and a Santana if you want a 24 fret, 24.5" scale.

Then you have the Hollowbodies - 594 and HBii - both have very similar specs in a lot of ways, but maybe you'd prefer a Piezo over independent tone/volume and Coil splits.

At the end of the day, whatever model you buy, you can't really go wrong with, just 'wrong' for you which is something only you will know. I know I recommended the Special, but in reality I could recommend all the PRS models I've owned/played but I also know that it has to work for you, not me. No point recommending a Cu24 Floyd for example if what you really like is more 'vintage' style instruments and their sound - the \m/ pups, whilst superb, may not suit your taste and/or set-up.

Point is, Everyone here will have their own preferences and ideas but only you will know whether it works for you. Instead of pointing you in a certain direction, I'll actually suggest you enjoy the voyage of discovery as you try new guitars...
Thank you! I agree with you that really it comes down to what I like, but I do enjoy getting the feedback and benefit of the knowledge, experience, and opinions of everyone since there are so many options in the PRS lineup.

SC-245
Single Cut Trem
DGT
Tremonti

What you may want to consider for a totally different flavor is a Paul's guitar or similar. That would be familiar enough yet different to really enable you to stretch out your legs.

SC-245
Single Cut Trem
DGT
Tremonti

What you may want to consider for a totally different flavor is a Paul's guitar or similar. That would be familiar enough yet different to really enable you to stretch out your legs.
Thank you! Based on the responses here, feedback, and research I am leaning towards an SC245 or Paul's guitar. I honestly don't use the trem a whole lot and for some reason I even forget to put the thing on when I play.

Last edited:

OH, and I love my Studio! And I utilize all the pickups. I read somewhere that few people use the middle pickup. But I really enjoy it lol. Almost on all my guitars, actually.

OH, and I love my Studio! And I utilize all the pickups. I read somewhere that few people use the middle pickup. But I really enjoy it lol. Almost on all my guitars, actually.

It's a great guitar and the middle is a great option. With the Special though, you obviously get 4 options from the middle from the traditional two HB LP like tones to the Tele like two SC (split HB's in this case) tones and you get more options with the neck/NF or Neck pup that are 'different' to the two Studio options that involve the neck Pup. In fact, out of the 12 options, only the 4 that involve the bridge (bridge or Bridge+NF) are similar to the studio - also its a Semi-Hollow so light weight too.

I mentioned it because its 'different' to how a traditional 5-way and the Studio is wired so its a going to be 'similar' in some ways, but different enough in other ways to give you a variety of options all in one instrument. Its such a great guitar too and you may find it more useful than buying a completely different flavour - by that, I mean you could use the Special instead of maybe using 2 or 3 different guitars, don't lose momentum in switching instruments etc.

The people here are a very knowledgeable bunch and each has an opinion on what they prefer or maybe would use in giving situation/genre etc, but they don't hear what you hear, feel what you feel, or prefer what you prefer and ANY PRS can do any genre/style and be the 'right' guitar for you in that situation. If you want any information on a technical level, help, support and/or encouragement to buy more PRS, you are in the right place, but the 'right' choice for 'you' is something only you will know by trying.

I could recommend the Pauls or SC245 - both superb guitars and again - different flavours of the two Humbucker guitars. Either could be great guitars that do the Job you wanted, but whichever you bought 'next', you'd only know if that was the 'right' choice to go for by trying or buying the other afterwards. If you buy the SC-245 and love it because its a great guitar, but then buy a Pauls and 'prefer' it, would that of been the right guitar to buy next? Maybe, because if you bought the Pauls first and love it, would you be disappointed if you then prefer it to you new SC-245?

I'm only trying to help because we could ALL recommend a PRS model you haven't got in your collection and tell you you should buy that next, but really, the best suggestion is to buy the 'next' guitar that speaks to you, makes you want to try it or even buy it because only you will know if works for you and if it made you want to try it, it's already half-way there. If you want to know 'more' about a specific instrument, like how does a Pauls Compare to an SC-245 in its Pups, because the Pauls 'TCI' pups tend to be described like P90's without the Hum to mini-Humbuckers and SC-245 would be used now as they don't currently make them, has standard full Humbuckers (more classic Les Paul to the Vintage Les Paul of the 594) and has a different arrangement to a LP's 4 knob system (tone at the top instead of on the neck side) - confused me as I was too used to the LP layout and turn the Bridge Tone down when trying to turn Neck Volume down for example but that's my Preference creeping in...

You can't go wrong - just enjoy the Journey of Discovery - whatever you buy next, you'll only know if that was the 'right' choice to buy next after you've either assessed EVERY option through your own rig to determine which to buy or after buying more guitars, you'll know whether it was the right choice...

Thank you! Based on the responses here, feedback, and research I am leaning towards an SC245 or Paul's guitar. I honestly don't use the trem a whole lot and for some reason I even forget to put the thing on when I play.

Since your leaning towards SC245.. I'm going to throw another one in the mix. SC58. I absolutely love mine.

Last edited:
It's a great guitar and the middle is a great option. With the Special though, you obviously get 4 options from the middle from the traditional two HB LP like tones to the Tele like two SC (split HB's in this case) tones and you get more options with the neck/NF or Neck pup that are 'different' to the two Studio options that involve the neck Pup. In fact, out of the 12 options, only the 4 that involve the bridge (bridge or Bridge+NF) are similar to the studio - also its a Semi-Hollow so light weight too.

I mentioned it because its 'different' to how a traditional 5-way and the Studio is wired so its a going to be 'similar' in some ways, but different enough in other ways to give you a variety of options all in one instrument. Its such a great guitar too and you may find it more useful than buying a completely different flavour - by that, I mean you could use the Special instead of maybe using 2 or 3 different guitars, don't lose momentum in switching instruments etc.

The people here are a very knowledgeable bunch and each has an opinion on what they prefer or maybe would use in giving situation/genre etc, but they don't hear what you hear, feel what you feel, or prefer what you prefer and ANY PRS can do any genre/style and be the 'right' guitar for you in that situation. If you want any information on a technical level, help, support and/or encouragement to buy more PRS, you are in the right place, but the 'right' choice for 'you' is something only you will know by trying.

I could recommend the Pauls or SC245 - both superb guitars and again - different flavours of the two Humbucker guitars. Either could be great guitars that do the Job you wanted, but whichever you bought 'next', you'd only know if that was the 'right' choice to go for by trying or buying the other afterwards. If you buy the SC-245 and love it because its a great guitar, but then buy a Pauls and 'prefer' it, would that of been the right guitar to buy next? Maybe, because if you bought the Pauls first and love it, would you be disappointed if you then prefer it to you new SC-245?

I'm only trying to help because we could ALL recommend a PRS model you haven't got in your collection and tell you you should buy that next, but really, the best suggestion is to buy the 'next' guitar that speaks to you, makes you want to try it or even buy it because only you will know if works for you and if it made you want to try it, it's already half-way there. If you want to know 'more' about a specific instrument, like how does a Pauls Compare to an SC-245 in its Pups, because the Pauls 'TCI' pups tend to be described like P90's without the Hum to mini-Humbuckers and SC-245 would be used now as they don't currently make them, has standard full Humbuckers (more classic Les Paul to the Vintage Les Paul of the 594) and has a different arrangement to a LP's 4 knob system (tone at the top instead of on the neck side) - confused me as I was too used to the LP layout and turn the Bridge Tone down when trying to turn Neck Volume down for example but that's my Preference creeping in...

You can't go wrong - just enjoy the Journey of Discovery - whatever you buy next, you'll only know if that was the 'right' choice to buy next after you've either assessed EVERY option through your own rig to determine which to buy or after buying more guitars, you'll know whether it was the right choice...
That was an outstanding reply. Definitely food for thought. If only I had more money. The thought does come to sell my 594 HB but I find it so hard to part with my PRS. And your argument for the Special HB is compelling. The special HB is a bit more than I have and it appears the neck is very similar to my studio? Do you know if they feel the same?

Single Cut Trem

IMG_3248 by
39808554081_3159de9c48_k.jpg
untitled-4658 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/
Wow that red.

Since your leaning towards SC245.. I'm going to throw another one in the mix. SC58. I absolutely love mine.
That interesting. I saw a couple of those on reverb and piqued my curiosity since it’s the 24.5 scale.

That was an outstanding reply. Definitely food for thought. If only I had more money. The thought does come to sell my 594 HB but I find it so hard to part with my PRS. And your argument for the Special HB is compelling. The special HB is a bit more than I have and it appears the neck is very similar to my studio? Do you know if they feel the same?

The PRS Studio and Special are almost the same guitar in many ways - Both have the same body, neck and 3 pup design with a 5-way. The difference appears to be one is a Semi-hollow with HB Neck and the other Solid with NF in the neck. But its a bit more than just those differences - like I said, the way its wired to give both HB's in the middle position, the mini-toggles (easier than a push/pull pot) and the variety of tonal options that enables.

As the Studio and Special share the same Bridge and Middle Pup, same woods, same carves, same scale and same bridge, then there is a similarity, a crossover of tones. Bridge (ful or split) with/without the middle NF is basically the same on both, but then other '8' options of the Special or '3' of the Studio are quite different. The Special is more 'like' a Custom 22-08 with an 'extra' NF pup to give a few extra tonal variations - the Studio is more a 'traditional' 3 pick-up guitar with a HB bridge in that respect so despite looking very similar, there is quite a difference.

Most Specials also seem to be around the 7lb weight mark too which generally makes them lighter than Studio's too. You could say the Special is a Blend of the 594 HB and Studio in one instrument - not quite the same as 'each' individually - the Hollowness of the 594 is subtly different to a thinner body semi-hollow Special - different neck and bridge too, different scale etc but same pups and similar '8' tonal options and the NF in the middle covers 'similar' ground, albeit different due to a Different 'neck' Pup that can be Split to give a SC + NF (which is different to the the two NF's together of a Studio.

Both very similar guitars. There's two versions of the SC58. Stripped and the Artist grade.
Forgive my ignorance. What's the difference between the 58 and the 245 and the stripped and artist, please?

Back