Votes: 2 15.4%
  • SAS NF

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • SAS Studio

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
I played a SAS narrowfield some time ago and really liked it. An NF PRS is something I want to add to the stable at some point. I'm going to leave the hog/maple studio out cause I'm going for something different here. At times I've considered NF3. With a pickguard, I could always get another pickguard made with a humbucker cut out in the bridge. I don't really love guitars with pickguards, I just prefer the look without. But it would give me options for the guitar. Do I want options though? I'm looking at this as getting a guitar that does something different. So which NF guitar should I be looking at?

You're already pretty set with the 'bucker layout, yes? So for something different go Full NF3 or SAS NF, depending on your wood preferences.

You're already pretty set with the 'bucker layout, yes? So for something different go Full NF3 or SAS NF, depending on your wood preferences.
For the most part, yes. I mean, there's always room for more. But yeah, the SAS studio is kind of at the bottom of my list, even though it's the "safest" selection since I'm a humbucker guy. Since the guitars are kind of hard to come by these days, the chances of playing them is slim. Korina on the NF3 is maybe closer to what I'm used to, yet since it has a pickguard, that changes the tone of a guitar too. I've owned a SAS special from 1997 for a while and liked it but I let it go because I only had 2 guitars at the time and it was too bright to be my back up guitar. Now I'm more in a position to have a guitar just for the purpose of owning it. I have back ups. Don't need to worry about it fitting a need really.

For the most part, yes. I mean, there's always room for more. But yeah, the SAS studio is kind of at the bottom of my list, even though it's the "safest" selection since I'm a humbucker guy. Since the guitars are kind of hard to come by these days, the chances of playing them is slim. Korina on the NF3 is maybe closer to what I'm used to, yet since it has a pickguard, that changes the tone of a guitar too. I've owned a SAS special from 1997 for a while and liked it but I let it go because I only had 2 guitars at the time and it was too bright to be my back up guitar. Now I'm more in a position to have a guitar just for the purpose of owning it. I have back ups. Don't need to worry about it fitting a need really.

Too bad. I've got a nice Studio from 2012 with a 59/09 in it that I'd sell ya!

??????????? Studio with 59/09????????? You'd sell?????

(Repeat after me, NOTHING ELSE UNTIL YOU GET AN ARCHON!)

Whew, I was drifting there for a second.

Even tho I have a NF3 I have never heard a Narrowfield pickup ( mine came with no electronics ) the body and neck are very comfortable and I am a fan of the 25 1/4 in scale
( same as 513 ) my project should be done soon I have high hopes :)

Too bad. I've got a nice Studio from 2012 with a 59/09 in it that I'd sell ya!
So, tell me about this SAStudio...what color? (Believe it or not, that might be a deciding factor for me...)

Tough choice.

I'd be lookin' at the SAS Studio for your style of music, I think. The NF pickups are really nice overdriven (less impressive clean IMO) and I think you'd dig the clarity of the neck pup for distorted lead tones. There's also the familiar body style, neck joint, and the 'bucker at the bridge means you could still use it in your band if you wanted to switch things up.

I had (what turned out to be) Hans' NF3 at the crib for a few months and couldn't figure out what I'd personally need or use that guitar for. It was rad but, I was hoping for more of a Strat-ish PRS, which it kinda is... but it's built to be a bigger Strat, when what I really wanted was a smaller sounding PRS.

It was dope having that NF3 around though, as I had unexplainable GAS for one which got cured pretty quickly after the excitement wore off. You should see if you can borrow Bodia's Studio for a minute.

Woah, woah, woah...I ain't rulin' nothin' out buddy! Post a pic!

Here she is. Not the greatest pic. 2012 Studio Ten Top in Angry Larry. Went the Black Out route with it. Replaced covered 57/08 with uncovered 59/09. Black MannMade 2300 with Black Chrome studs, Clear/Black base lampshades, Black p/u rings and Ebony Tuners. This pic has the gold studs, before I replaced them with the Black Chrome.

20151030_204429_zpsz3wtksdz.jpg

I'll give you $12 for it (because that won't set me back far enough to keep me from getting an Archon! HAHAHAHAHAHA)

Sergio, surprised you didn't do more of a "perma-bond" with that NF3. I LOVE mine!!! Everything from fat strat cleans to Mark V means (and soon, Archon means!) and it sounded great doing it all. LOVE the cleans and mild breakup, but it can rip too!

Sergio, surprised you didn't do more of a "perma-bond" with that NF3. I LOVE mine!!! Everything from fat strat cleans to Mark V means (and soon, Archon means!) and it sounded great doing it all. LOVE the cleans and mild breakup, but it can rip too!

I should clarify and say that I didn't think it was a bad guitar at all, just that perhaps I already owned a guitar that was closer to what I expected the NF3 to do better based on its appearance. That NF3 was more of a ripper then it seemed, book by its cover an' all that.

I had a similar experience when I checked out Rider's 305, I wanted it to be a PRS Strat and found out my (tele-ish) modified CE22 did it for me. So yes, I'm blaming it on having too many guitars. :confused:

That's why it's sofaking rad having buddies with PRS guitars: You get it in your head that you want/need something, check it out and decide against it, and then accidentally play another one of their guitars that you weren't interested in, and then decide you gotta have that other one! ;)

Here she is. Not the greatest pic. 2012 Studio Ten Top in Angry Larry. Went the Black Out route with it. Replaced covered 57/08 with uncovered 59/09. Black MannMade 2300 with Black Chrome studs, Clear/Black base lampshades, Black p/u rings and Ebony Tuners. This pic has the gold studs, before I replaced them with the Black Chrome.

20151030_204429_zpsz3wtksdz.jpg
That's a sweet studio man! I'm wanting a maple board and a trem since I have neither. If I was after something with NF's to rock with the band, I'd surely be interested!

That's a sweet studio man! I'm wanting a maple board and a trem since I have neither. If I was after something with NF's to rock with the band, I'd surely be interested!

Thanks bro! I tossed out that remark and then immediately thought, "sh!t, I hope he doesn't dig it!" I've thought about selling it, but never really THOUGHT about it.

Happy hunting!

Two Narrowfield 57/08's and one full size 57/08.

One more detail people always seem to overlook is that the Studio model also has a push/pull knob which lets you cut the full size 57/08 in half down to a single coil.

PRS Studio for the win!

PRS_SwampAshStudio_1698.jpg

I can NEVER see enough of this one!

Tough choice.

I'd be lookin' at the SAS Studio for your style of music, I think. The NF pickups are really nice overdriven (less impressive clean IMO) and I think you'd dig the clarity of the neck pup for distorted lead tones. There's also the familiar body style, neck joint, and the 'bucker at the bridge means you could still use it in your band if you wanted to switch things up.

I had (what turned out to be) Hans' NF3 at the crib for a few months and couldn't figure out what I'd personally need or use that guitar for. It was rad but, I was hoping for more of a Strat-ish PRS, which it kinda is... but it's built to be a bigger Strat, when what I really wanted was a smaller sounding PRS.

It was dope having that NF3 around though, as I had unexplainable GAS for one which got cured pretty quickly after the excitement wore off. You should see if you can borrow Bodia's Studio for a minute.
I'm really looking for something to break me outta my comfort zone and the norm. Not a guitar that fits with what I normally play.

Back