Which model is easiest for YOU to play?

horax

Out of curiosity, which model do you prefer to play and why?

It's kind of funny, I've always preferred fatter necks and 22 or 21 frets (coming from a fender background).
HOwever, after buying to PRS (s2 singlecut standard and se 24 standard) I've found that I prefer the SE with teh slimmer neck and higher fret access.

I was shocked at how easy the 24 frets made general playing. I now have to see which route I'll take for future guitars.

What do you prefer and why?

I agree, my 24 fretters are the easiest to play but I believe it is the W/T (pattern thin) neck more than the 24 frets.

My band is in the studio now tracking for our new album. My go-to guitar has been my SC245 with the wide/fat profile and 57/08s. Aside from some leads and fill parts, everything has been that SC245. It just works for those songs.

Funnily enough, for as much as I love the S2s, none of them have been a part of the recording process on these tracks. They feel and sound great, I just get a better vibe off them when I am on stage.

A lot of the lead and harmony work is being split between the MC58 (wide/fat, 22 frets), the Santana III (24.5, fat profile, 24 frets), and the EG3 (wide/thin, 22 frets):

The neck that works best overall for me, though, is the wide/fat (pattern?), 22-fretter.....

Probably my avatar guitar, a DGT Artist with a rosewood neck and ebony board. Easy to play, really great tones, very light as well.

Easiest to shred on, definitely the Wide Thin / Pattern Thin. But for general playing, I need more meat or I get hand pain. I like the overall feel of the 22 fret double cutaway guitars with the fatter necks best.

My old EG II. It feels like the neck was carved for me. Other than that, I love 'em all.

Until the rosewood necks started popping up in quantities my wf cu24 was it. I really liked the 24's and when GC came up w a run w Indian wf rosewood necks I was hooked on unfinished or satin necks. From then all exploration broke loose w the advent of so many new models, new configs and pups and the all coveted Brazilian necks unfinished. The ME1's took me over and the necks were dynamite feeling. I think I have 5 or 6 I liked them so much. My best was sent in for 5909's, a gloss and a wf braz neck reshape by Len w a little more rounded shoulders and even slight scalloping. He really put magic on it and this Yellow Tiger is my go to. But then Len's sc semi hollow Indian neck that was his anniversary from PRS guit is hard to beat. Thank goodness I have it now and it gets frequent love.

I bounce around a lot, but really liked my SC245 when I had it, and REALLY like my P245.

I played 25.5" scales exclusively and wide/thin neck profiles until the SC245 converted me.

I don’t know if it’s only the carve that makes a neck easy to play; it may be a combination of factors.

For example, for picking accuracy, I prefer the string spacing of the CU24. The pick seems to naturally fall into place when I play it. So if I was all about picking speed, that’d be my choice.

I really began to notice the string spacing thing when I switched from Martins to Taylors a long time ago. I’d gotten used to the narrower string spacing and had a time shifting to the Taylor wider neck. Turns out that for flatpicking, narrower seems to be faster.

The only thing I wish I’d changed on my Tonare Grand PS is I shoulda woulda coulda ordered a slightly narrower neck, as I’m not a fingerstyle player. Still, it sounds and plays great, so I’m not complaining.

However, for feel, I flat-out love the 594. I prefer the tone of a fatter neck, though that could just come down to the models I’ve owned that have them.

Life is full of little trade-offs. :cool:

I still dig the easier stretches and greasy feel of the wide thin on my EG, but after a year, the SC has won me over. That wide fat shape anchors bends and vibrato so well. I can play that neck noticeably longer before getting fatigued.

I have the old wide thin, pattern regular, & pattern fat, 2 24 fret & 4 22 fret and I can't tell a difference playing wise. The easiest of the 6 is the wide thin but only because it has the lowest action. If all my guitars had that same action there would be no different for me

I had a CU24, Stripped 58, MEQ, P22 and have a 594. I feel very comfortable with the 594. I bonded most quickly with the Stripper. But I think the CU 24 was the easiest to play.

I love the wide fat/pattern neck. I think my favorite is an older McCarty,my Santana, and my Studio. The only Custom 24 Quilt top, has a pattern regular neck, that even though it’s thinner, plays great. My 408 has an unfinished rosewood pattern neck...awesome! They’re all great. I’ve owned and played a ton of guitars over the years, but since 1989, PRS guitars have been my main stage, studio, and fun guitars..

Pattern regular and wide fats. Really dig them. The US ones anyway, I fi d the wode fat on an SE is not quite the same profile.

The starla s2 with the 25"scale is the most comfortable guitar I have ever played. Second would be just about any good strat. They got those right back in the day. Perfect guitars

+ as a side note I find the 22 fret custom/CE models feel a bit strange in your lap... you can tell the body was designed first for a 24 fret and associated neck placement. Feeling disappears when they're on a strap though

Back