Which Guitar For Slide?

Jakash

Hello everyone,
I have been given permission by my better half to buy another guitar. Mostly because I've developed an issue with my left hand that's making fretting difficult. So I decided to try lap style slide guitar. I was looking at getting a dedicated lap steel but really am just not sold. I think I'm gonna get another electric and add a nut extender to use as a dedicated "Lap Steel". I will probably swap it back to regular (although still may use it for slide) after my hand recovers (we won't think about if it doesn't).

I really can't spend too much so I was considering getting a used (I always by used) PRS SE for around $450. I already have a few models: an American Standard Strat (I hate it but it was my first so...) SE Single Cut, SE Hollow body (my favorite), 35th Anniversary Ltd Custom 24, and a Santana.

I was considering a Bernie but am not sure. I'm concerned about neck tension. I plan on putting on 12's or 13's and tuning to open E (or open G or D—maybe C6). I'm aiming for a Derek Trucks sound (not that I can play that good).

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I would like something that will do this job well but still add to the collection. It doesn't have to be a PRS, but I do like them it would seem. Thanks!

String tension will be no problem.

If you're going to be playing lap style, a lap steel is much more comfortable with the shorter scale and minimal body. I have a $100 SX. It ain't pretty, but it sounds great after a pickup swap.

My advise: buy a SE One. They can be found dirt cheap and sound great. One pick up and one volume, so no messing around. Just tune up and you're on your way .

String tension will be no problem.

If you're going to be playing lap style, a lap steel is much more comfortable with the shorter scale and minimal body. I have a $100 SX. It ain't pretty, but it sounds great after a pickup swap.

Yeah I considered that, but I don't know if I'll like it and would like to have a guitar dedicated to slide (bottleneck style) anyway.

Also, later this year I plan on getting on of those rouge lap steels if musicians friend puts them on sale (then I'll mod the hell out of it).

My advise: buy a SE One. They can be found dirt cheap and sound great. One pick up and one volume, so no messing around. Just tune up and you're on your way .

SE One is a P90 right? Do the PRS P90s hum as bad as the Fenders do?

SE One is a P90 right? Do the PRS P90s hum as bad as the Fenders do?
YES, but honestly I don;t mind. I'm using at least one on gigs (sometimes 3: one standard tuning, one drop D and one in open G). I just turn the volume down when I'm not playing.. You could swap for a humcanceling PU and it still won't break the bank.

Back