Which daddarios electric guitar string does the prs custom 24 use?

From the PRS Customer Support Center - Set Up Guide

If you decide to change your string gauges from the factory installed string gauges, please be sure to remember that the guitar may need to be set-up to accommodate this change. This may include checking the action, intonation, neck relief, pickup height, and nut slots of the instrument. We set-up the guitars at our factory with the following string gauges:

Most solidbody instruments are factory set-up with 10 - 46 gauge strings.

All SE* instruments are factory set-up with 9 - 42 gauge strings (except for the Mike Mushok Baritone, which is set-up with D?Addario XL157 - 14-68).

* SE Bernie Marsden comes setup with 10-46 gauge strings.

The SE Bernie Marsden models are factory setup with 10-46 gauge strings.

The DGT is factory set up with 11 - 49 gauge strings with unwound 3rd.

The non-piezo Hollowbody models are factory set-up with 10 - 46 gauge strings.

The piezo equipped Hollowbody models are factory set up with 11 - 49 gauge strings with a wound 3rd.

Well you thought wrong jimisteven.

OP, PRS guitars come set-up with nice low action. It can be made even lower if you like or it can be raised if you prefer.
ANY "good" and well-built guitar can have it's action set as low or high as you like it without any issues. It's when you get guitars with poorly leveled, loose or raised frets, twisted necks, dysfunctional trussrods....that you will have to keep the action relatively high.
Of ALL the guitar brands out there, I'd say that PRS guitars and their necks are built as well or better than ANYTHING out there. You'll be able to get the action as low (or as high) as you can on ANY guitar...and more than most.
Action on PRS guitars is definitely a NON issue. It's one of the things that put PRS on the map and is the LAST thing to worry about on a PRS.
As far as strings they come strung with...seeing as how I've never "won" the Thank You pkgs and have never seen a pack of PRS strings I cant say for sure but I think they come strung with PRS strings. They don't MAKE their own strings. Others will be able to tell you for sure but I'd assume they'd be made by D'Addario? BUT...it's kind of another non-issue. If you don't like the strings it came with...they only last a short while anyway and then you can put ANY brand (ELIXIRS wink) you like on a PRS guitar.
I would DEFINITELY NOT pass-up on buying a PRS because you don't like the strings on it. I aint never even HEARD of that before. OOPSIES...I think you meant what gauge of D'Addarios...ok..I'm an IDIOT!
Yes...USA CU24s come strung with .010"s and the SECU24s come strung with .009s. That does not mean you must use those gauges. You might have to widen the nutslots if going from a .009 guitar to .010 strings and you might have to adjust the trem bridge "attitude" if trem equipped but...no biggie.

In the end, BUY A PRS!!!
You will be able to get the action as low as you want it. You can run any strings and gauge you like. But yes...USA CUs =.010" and SECUs=.009s.

I've arrived at what I think is a pretty good setup regarding strings. For Fender scale guitars, I use 9 to 42s. For 25" scale PRSi, I use the D'Addario 9.5 "hybrids". For Gibson scale guitars, I use 10 to 46. That seems to give me a pretty similar feel across the board.
YMMV,
Brad

Last edited:
Early guitars came with D'Addario strings and at some point they switched to their own brand (still made by D'Addario).
IIRC early Customs and CEs were setup with 9-42 sets.
At some poisnt they started using 10-46 but still some guitars were setup with 9s. I remember a friend's Singlecut came brand new with 9s...
I prefer 10s and I setup all my guitars with D'Addario 10-46 sets.

Last edited:
If anyone’s still active in here and knows the answer then please reply.

This year my dad has bought me the Prs Custom 24 25th anniversary made in 2010 and last night he said I could try it out to see if I like it. I was playing it and it felt really good, action was fine and there was no fretbuzz anywhere. After playing it for about 5 mins I could feel that the string were different to what I use on my dads strat which are Earnie ball super slinky’s 9 gauge. These on my prs felt like tens, they were quite flexible and smooth but still had really good tone. Wanted to know if anyone knows what strings they could possibly be so I know what to get when these break.

This year my dad has bought me the Prs Custom 24 25th anniversary made in 2010 and last night he said I could try it out to see if I like it. I was playing it and it felt really good, action was fine and there was no fretbuzz anywhere. After playing it for about 5 mins I could feel that the string were different to what I use on my dads strat which are Earnie ball super slinky’s 9 gauge. These on my prs felt like tens, they were quite flexible and smooth but still had really good tone. Wanted to know if anyone knows what strings they could possibly be so I know what to get when these break.
Scale length and bridge will have an impact on the string tension too,. The same strings may feel different on a fender/PRS/Gibson.

An 8 year old guitar, quite possibly has had a few string changes over the years, no telling what brand/gauge were put on.

You can measure the high E with some calipers to check the diameter. No way to determine the brand though.

I can't say for the current year, but in 2006 (when I bought my first PRS), the Cu24 came with 9's.

Thanks for answers and yeah that’s true about the string changes but when my dad went to collect it, he said that the guy seemed to be quite a perfectionist when it comes to keeping equipment in pristine condition. The guitar itself was pretty much immaculate apart from a dink on the back. My Earnie balls are new on my dads strat and they feel different but after Christmas I’ll take it into a guitar store and see what they say, that you though

My 2018 Custom 24 was supposed to be supplied with 10's from factory. I still had 10's fitted but when I bought it, I asked for NYXL 10's to be fitted when the shop did its check and set-up prior to me getting it...

I agree 100% with Brad737...9’s on 25 1/2” scale, 9.5’s on 25” scale, and 10’s on a 24 1/2” scale..(or 24 3/4”) That combo does seem to even out the playing field across the board, without major hand cramping.

Thanks for answers and yeah that’s true about the string changes but when my dad went to collect it, he said that the guy seemed to be quite a perfectionist when it comes to keeping equipment in pristine condition. The guitar itself was pretty much immaculate apart from a dink on the back. My Earnie balls are new on my dads strat and they feel different but after Christmas I’ll take it into a guitar store and see what they say, that you though

If it has colored ball ends on the string it would be D'Addario strings. I think Gibson Vintage has silverish/nickel color ball ends. Most others will just have brass.
The wound strings can have a certain feel to it that differs from brand to brand.

I'd suggest starting with ErnieBall since that's what you and your Dad are using and every other month (or whenever you restring which I hope is not just when one breaks) try a different set D'Addario, Elixir, GHS, etc.
Whenever I wasn't completely happy with a guitar's sound, I'd try a different set (after maybe checking pickup height) and landed on very different brands for most guitars.

For example,
I have Elixir PolyWebs on an otherwise very bright guitar (lots of maple on it) and it mellows it out perfectly. Plus they feel oh so smooth.
I will be trying the NanoWebs on my PRS CE24 Standard. Nanos are bright strings, so I'm hoping to bring some sparkle to it. The standard has no maple top.
I have coated D'Addarios on my Santana.
Although I do try to stay away from coated strings because of price. I change strings often so I don't see them last longer than non-coated. However, coating changes the tone IMO so sometimes that is beneficial.
I have 9.5 GHS Rockers on a strat, and tried regular Boomers on other guitars. I love the Rockers, and hate the Boomers. Don't ask me why, the Boomers just didnt work for me.
I have Gibson Vintage on the R9 and BriteWires on other LPs. Happy with the vintage, still experimenting with BriteWires, although they are pretty ok.

My absolute go to string is ErnieBall. I think I could be happy with EBs on most of my guitars, but still try others unless I've absolutely settled on EB for an axe. which i have.

And one more thing to try maybe are the Balance Tension strings from D'Addario. They'd be a 10 gauge set, but the strings in between are slightly different that a regular 10 set.

Back