Which Core model would you get in these circumstances?

The older 513s had a circuit board, maybe that's why they have more noise??

Go for a 513 (or 509). But there's a bunch of variations of 513 around. The first ones as 513 with Rosewood neck (513 RW), then 513 Swamp Ash (only produced in 2010), then the 513 (the successor of the RW, with a mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard, but body remained the same (mahogany back, maple top), I guess there is aswell a really small number of full mahogany bodied 513.
But the standard combination until dicontinuing end of 2016 is mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, maple top, and mahogany back.

With regard to the PCB: Paul let change the production, that as of 2014 production line the electronics were solded point-to-point (IOT deliver the best (transpatent) sound). That said, according to my electrical understanding a PCB reduces the noise sensitivity more than point-to-point, due to the fact that hand-wiring lead to a lot more cables with suitable diameters (which react as antennas in certain circumstances) than a printed circuit board.
There had been some severe challenges in reducing the buzz noises at those editions with point-to-point electronic, developing a sufficient shielding.
Though this modification, not all PCB had been removed from 513. The pickups itselves kept their PCB as the "foundation plate".

Sorry for off-topic.
Long story short: I recommend a 513.

Go for a 513 (or 509). But there's a bunch of variations of 513 around. The first ones as 513 with Rosewood neck (513 RW), then 513 Swamp Ash (only produced in 2010), then the 513 (the successor of the RW, with a mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard, but body remained the same (mahogany back, maple top), I guess there is aswell a really small number of full mahogany bodied 513.
But the standard combination until dicontinuing end of 2016 is mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, maple top, and mahogany back.

With regard to the PCB: Paul let change the production, that as of 2014 production line the electronics were solded point-to-point (IOT deliver the best (transpatent) sound). That said, according to my electrical understanding a PCB reduces the noise sensitivity more than point-to-point, due to the fact that hand-wiring lead to a lot more cables with suitable diameters (which react as antennas in certain circumstances) than a printed circuit board.
There had been some severe challenges in reducing the buzz noises at those editions with point-to-point electronic, developing a sufficient shielding.
Though this modification, not all PCB had been removed from 513. The pickups itselves kept their PCB as the "foundation plate".

Sorry for off-topic.
Long story short: I recommend a 513.

Yup. I had a maple neck/Rosewood Board 513 and it sounded full and glorious for LP to Strat-ish tones. I believe mine had a pcb. PCBs are good and can eliminate noise IF PCB components are higher quality and the joints are good. I rip all the PCBs out of my LPs because the components were failing all over the place (bad batch?) but I have never had any such QC issues with a US made PRS.

That’s the only guitar that I regret selling. It was a little heavy for me at the time (but I have since acquired heavier guitars so go figure) but I should not have sold it. {Casi proceeds to punch herself in da face here}.

I definitely recommend 513 for what the OP needs but sounds like he is more than happy with his choice. Either way, it’s a happy NGD!

I don't truly know. Spec wise? a 509 would get me the sound I need. Though I don't need all those pickups really.

I'd have to go and play a whole load and find out the old fashoined way.

I don't truly know. Spec wise? a 509 would get me the sound I need. Though I don't need all those pickups really.

I'd have to go and play a whole load and find out the old fashoined way.

Yup. Definitely try both the 513 and the 509. To me, the stock 509 did a slighter better impersonation of the LP and the Strat but I loved the right (depends on specs) 513 even more than the stock 509. Can’t go wrong with either though.

Back