Which Core model would you get in these circumstances?

Well done! I'm sure you'll love it when it arrives.

So.. what colour 594 are you going to order? Single-cut I assume?

I think you miss-understood this - @jm9239 has ordered PRS Special 22 Semi-Hollow (or SSH as it is referred to here) in the colour McCarty Burst. Whether they do go on to order a 594 or whether it is a Single Cut or Double Cut at a later date or not, we will have to wait and see but right now we are waiting to see the new Guitar day (NGD) Pics and hear what they think of it...

I think you miss-understood this - @jm9239 has ordered PRS Special 22 Semi-Hollow (or SSH as it is referred to here) in the colour McCarty Burst. Whether they do go on to order a 594 or whether it is a Single Cut or Double Cut at a later date or not, we will have to wait and see but right now we are waiting to see the new Guitar day (NGD) Pics and hear what they think of it...
Nothing misunderstood, you know as well as I do that PRS guitars seem to magically multiply. OP said he was tied for 1st place, I simply implied that he will soon have both. :)

Nothing misunderstood, you know as well as I do that PRS guitars seem to magically multiply. OP said he was tied for 1st place, I simply implied that he will soon have both. :)

Sorry, it was me that misunderstood.

PRS guitars rarely seem to be 'the only one' for long in peoples collections. My collection has grown since I bought my PRS 594 (Double Cut version) with the 509, Custom 24 and most recently (January) a Hollowbody ii. Now I am looking for a Special 22 Semi Hollow - preferably in Fire Red but may have to settle for a Charcoal Cherry burst (which seems to be the Burnt Maple burst too) as that, and the Autumn Sky seem to be the two colours that every PRS dealer here has in stock. I do like the Charcoal Cherry Burst but it would be the odd one out, the black sheep of my PRS collection - hence I want a Fire Red Burst...

I keep thinking that a Special 22 and potentially a 594 Hollowbody ii will be my 'last' guitars I will buy. That would take me up to 6 and for me, not gigging and only playing for fun at home, would cover me for any tonal sound I want to create. I know its lacking a Strat/Tele but my 509 is close enough for me. I know I don't have P90's either but I am more than happy to substitute those for a Humbucker sound. Whether I can stop at 6 - even though I really don't have room for more we will see but you can't stop after just 1...

Sorry, it was me that misunderstood.

PRS guitars rarely seem to be 'the only one' for long in peoples collections. My collection has grown since I bought my PRS 594 (Double Cut version) with the 509, Custom 24 and most recently (January) a Hollowbody ii. Now I am looking for a Special 22 Semi Hollow - preferably in Fire Red but may have to settle for a Charcoal Cherry burst (which seems to be the Burnt Maple burst too) as that, and the Autumn Sky seem to be the two colours that every PRS dealer here has in stock. I do like the Charcoal Cherry Burst but it would be the odd one out, the black sheep of my PRS collection - hence I want a Fire Red Burst...

I keep thinking that a Special 22 and potentially a 594 Hollowbody ii will be my 'last' guitars I will buy. That would take me up to 6 and for me, not gigging and only playing for fun at home, would cover me for any tonal sound I want to create. I know its lacking a Strat/Tele but my 509 is close enough for me. I know I don't have P90's either but I am more than happy to substitute those for a Humbucker sound. Whether I can stop at 6 - even though I really don't have room for more we will see but you can't stop after just 1...
I'm also wondering if I can stop at 6 PRS (13 total).
I'll be 40 in 3 years, and it's tempting to start a 36 month plan towards a private stock.. (or a Ducati but that's another story)
Funny, SSH would be my PS of choice at the moment (push pull for middle pickup only anyone??). Looks like number 7 is all but confirmed... #addict #gas

I'm also wondering if I can stop at 6 PRS (13 total).
I'll be 40 in 3 years, and it's tempting to start a 36 month plan towards a private stock.. (or a Ducati but that's another story)
Funny, SSH would be my PS of choice at the moment (push pull for middle pickup only anyone??). Looks like number 7 is all but confirmed... #addict #gas

I actually mentioned wanting a PRS Special with either a tone toggle switch (prefer a push/push to a push/pull) or a mini toggle switch to go from the two outer humbuckers to just the Narrowfield - now I write this, a 3-way mini toggle to have ALL the PU's active as well could be fun - especially with the individual splitting of the HB's. I also would like to add a Piezo and still keep the trem - like a P24 - that would give the special as much variation and more than my 4 PRS guitars combined. This was my 'budget no option' dream rig guitar - assuming that I had to have just 1 guitar rather than a big rack of guitars.

Definitely start saving. Decide which way to go in 24 months. 40 is a good age to have a Ducati for a few years.

I have a personal bias to buying things that have no ongoing cost. That said I got a lot of value out of my motorcycles for a number of years. I do mostly other things now, but the bikes aren’t worth enough to bother selling them - they devalue forever, while the private stocks seem to steady state at about half the original value. Do what you think will give you the most pleasure.

Definitely start saving. Decide which way to go in 24 months. 40 is a good age to have a Ducati for a few years.

I have a personal bias to buying things that have no ongoing cost. That said I got a lot of value out of my motorcycles for a number of years. I do mostly other things now, but the bikes aren’t worth enough to bother selling them - they devalue forever, while the private stocks seem to steady state at about half the original value. Do what you think will give you the most pleasure.
I commute to work on a Yamaha R6 daily, all year round. It's will have 45k km's on the clock soon and they don't last forever. I think the answer is it get both :)
While a bike will lose lots of value, consider I also save $90 a week by not paying car parking in the city ($18/ day!!), and at least $50 a week saved on my fuel bill. It's actually cash positive to ride, even with the deprecation.

I commute to work on a Yamaha R6 daily, all year round. It's will have 45k km's on the clock soon and they don't last forever. I think the answer is it get both :)
While a bike will lose lots of value, consider I also save $90 a week by not paying car parking in the city ($18/ day!!), and at least $50 a week saved on my fuel bill. It's actually cash positive to ride, even with the deprecation.
Those economics work. I used my VFR to visit my dad for years - 500km day trip. My Fireblade (CBR954RR in the US) was just for fun. Something over 60k on them. Now my car is almost as good on gas as my aging bikes.

NGD hasn't even arrived yet and I'm already looking for another PRS! I definitely want it to be a 594. My preference is SC solid body if I can manage to find a light enough one (sub 8 lbs and the lighter the better). I have a bad back which is the reason weight is important to me, and part of why I went with the SSH. If I can't find a light SC I'll go DC. Thus far, I haven't been able to find a SC that meets the criteria below. If anyone sees one, please send the info my way. I know they make them in semi hollow, but I'd really prefer a solid body given I just bought a SSH. If it's appropriate for this forum, I'll gladly donate a "finder's fee" of $50-$100 (depending on how much I love it lol) to whoever locates the one I buy. If it isn't appropriate, I apologize and will just say thank you. Feel free to edit or delete this post as well.

-594 SC
-Solid body
-Under 8 lbs and the lighter the better
-Brand new from authorized dealer
-58/15 LT pickups (no soap bars)
-Open on color but have a special place for goldtops

Regarding the SSH, I'll be sure to share pictures and impressions. Thanks again for everyone's help; this forum is wonderful!

NGD for the SSH has finally arrived. This morning I had a chance to put it through its paces across several presets and amps on the Axe FX III. In short, I have a problem. The problem is that this guitar is SO GOOD that I don't know how often I'll use many of my other guitars, which are GREAT guitars. The SSH is simply amazing. The most versatile guitar I've ever owned. With the MT pickups and switching system there are SO MANY sounds available. I'm successfully using it for everything from metal to VH, 311, Hendrix and U2. Just a great, great guitar. Highly recommended. Here are some pictures:

IMG-7536.jpg

IMG-7543.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's help! Now, what to do about some of my other guitars...

NGD for the SSH has finally arrived. This morning I had a chance to put it through its paces across several presets and amps on the Axe FX III. In short, I have a problem. The problem is that this guitar is SO GOOD that I don't know how often I'll use many of my other guitars, which are GREAT guitars. The SSH is simply amazing. The most versatile guitar I've ever owned. With the MT pickups and switching system there are SO MANY sounds available. I'm successfully using it for everything from metal to VH, 311, Hendrix and U2. Just a great, great guitar. Highly recommended. Here are some pictures:

IMG-7536.jpg

IMG-7543.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's help! Now, what to do about some of my other guitars...

Glad its working for you. Its a beauty!! I thought this guitar would be the 'one' for you - not to say that ANY of the others are bad but that this had much more versatility to cover everything you were looking for in one instrument as opposed to having just a 'Les Paul' type guitar with coil splitting and/or a fixed bridge.

I am sure as you get to explore its capabilities, try different FX, different amps, different genres of music etc, you will grow to love it more - and that's more than the Honeymoon phase of a new purchase. The only thing that can live with a PRS (in my opinion) is another PRS so don't be surprised if you end up with another one (or more) additions to your collection - even if that means trading in your 'non-PRS' guitars to get something else that makes you want to play it as much as this guitar. Its why I have multiple now and why I can't bring myself to buy something that I would have to force myself to pick-up instead of reaching for the PRS.

Anyway, glad we were able to help. Congrats too...

IMG-7536.jpg

IMG-7543.jpg

tenor.gif

IMG-7536.jpg

IMG-7543.jpg

Aw yeah! Knew you'd love it! Dig that classy finish, too!

Back