Which CE 24

madeinbologna

I am so in love with my Vela that I have decided that it needs a companion other than my partscaster and Black Diamond Flying-V.

I’m down to two (maybe 3) CE 24s. One is used with 57/08s that has basically hung on a wall since it was purchased 3 years ago (mint). The other is new(er - ‘21 sold as new) with 85/15s from a dealer who gave me a smoking discount that puts it within $500 of the used one after tax and shipping are considered. Otherwise, they are pretty much identical in condition and color. Both have rosewood fretboards, and if one had an ebony fretboard it would be a no-brainer towards the ebony. 57/08s with Ebony and a nice color would be heaven. But there isn’t one currently like that for sale.

So, the decision is used vs new. Is it worth spending $500 more for the brand new one that I would eventually upgrade with 57/08s, or should I get the used one? If I could talk the dealer in to selling the new one with 57/08s instead of 85/15s for the same offer, would that change the equation?

What year did the paint finishes get better quality? I think I remember reading somewhere to be careful buying early 201x (pre-2016?) models because they changed the way they apply the finishes (post-2018?)

I've seen some limited run CE24s with ebony, satin finish, and 57/08s recently....more expensive than a "normal" CE though...

I've seen some limited run CE24s with ebony, satin finish, and 57/08s recently....more expensive than a "normal" CE though...
I saw those, too! Yeah, $2,999 is a bit steep. Especially since it wasn't more than a dozen or so months ago, there was a dealer in the NE that had the same type of run in the $2,399 and $2,499 range. Go figure. The economy is going in the toilet, and everyone is raising their prices. :)

I should have jumped on that used one last night. I went back to hit the buy button and someone had bought it 15 minutes before I made the decision. Go figure. It was on the market for 7 months and someone buys it 15 minutes before me. Message from the universe, I guess.

I saw those, too! Yeah, $2,999 is a bit steep. Especially since it wasn't more than a dozen or so months ago, there was a dealer in the NE that had the same type of run in the $2,399 and $2,499 range. Go figure. The economy is going in the toilet, and everyone is raising their prices. :)

I should have jumped on that used one last night. I went back to hit the buy button and someone had bought it 15 minutes before I made the decision. Go figure. It was on the market for 7 months and someone buys it 15 minutes before me. Message from the universe, I guess.
Absolutely been there! There are plenty of CEs out there though! I love my regular old 2021 CE!

Absolutely been there! There are plenty of CEs out there though! I love my regular old 2021 CE!
I'm partial to the 57/08 since I think it makes a good compliment to the Vela and the blues sounds I like to generate. But if it comes down to color and neck, I'll probably go with that and swap the pickups sometime in the future. Though at $250 each for the 57/08s, I might just wait for the right CE 24 combination to appear before me.

Those are indeed great pickups.....that's what came in my MEII and got me hooked on PRS!

Well, I must not have looked hard enough the first time around. I found a brand new '23 serial-numbered CE 24 with an ebony fretboard, 57/08 pickups, in Eriza Verde at a price I could live with and a dealer with a good reputation. Now the neurosis of waiting for the delivery truck begins.... (Which I think is worse than G.A.S.!)

Well, I must not have looked hard enough the first time around. I found a brand new '23 serial-numbered CE 24 with an ebony fretboard, 57/08 pickups, in Eriza Verde at a price I could live with and a dealer with a good reputation. Now the neurosis of waiting for the delivery truck begins.... (Which I think is worse than G.A.S.!)
Nothing like jumping off the couch and sprinting to the door because the squirrel that farted in the tree outside sounded like a truck!

just ask nicely. you'd be surprised... I haven't paid sticker for a guitar in... ever.

Nothing like jumping off the couch and sprinting to the door because the squirrel that farted in the tree outside sounded like a truck!
Yeah... Much like just getting the alert to go pick up my Greeny Standard Les Paul just now!!!
Time to hit the Walgreens FedEx drop-off location down the street!!!
Vrooooommmmmm!!!

Ive got a really nice and unique CE24 that I’m selling if interested. It has the 85/15 pickups but they’re pretty nice as is. I’ll delete if this is not allowed.

Which Guitar Plays Better And Sounds Better (To You) Unplugged? Which Guitar Resonates Better? I Personally Would Select That One. YMMV

Which Guitar Plays Better And Sounds Better (To You) Unplugged? Which Guitar Resonates Better? I Personally Would Select That One. YMMV

I agree and I know you mean well with that advice. But for most of us, a plane ticket and the necessary time to travel to Denver or St. Louis or Chicago to audition several guitars just isn’t in the cards. I really wish people would stop with that advice. I’d never have bought the CE24 I just bought if I followed it. Now, if I get it and decide I don’t like it because it doesn’t play well and sound great, that’s on me to rectify. But that’s the only process I’ve got. A dealer might take it back if not satisfied. A used, personal sale isn’t going to work that way.

I finally got my hands on a core DGT last night as well as a thin-neck-profile CU24 at the local shop. No CE24s anywhere near me right now. I liked both of them, but the CE24 has my imagination captured. I liked the thin neck, so I’m pretty sure that will translate well to the CE24. I think I’ll save the DGT for a Private Stock reward to myself one of these days when I hit some major goals.

Anyway, the question was more along the lines of used vs new. Doesn’t seem to be that much of a deciding factor from what I can gather. Your response points in that direction as well.

The one I got happens to be new, with a warranty (in case of finish issues), and I’m sure I can return it if I’m not 100% satisfied, which to me tilted it towards new-is-better. And this one is drop-dead gorgeous. I can’t quit staring at the pictures! It HAS to play better or at least as good as my Vela based on looks alone. :) Peace, out.

I agree and I know you mean well with that advice. But for most of us, a plane ticket and the necessary time to travel to Denver or St. Louis or Chicago to audition several guitars just isn’t in the cards. I really wish people would stop with that advice. I’d never have bought the CE24 I just bought if I followed it. Now, if I get it and decide I don’t like it because it doesn’t play well and sound great, that’s on me to rectify. But that’s the only process I’ve got. A dealer might take it back if not satisfied. A used, personal sale isn’t going to work that way.

I finally got my hands on a core DGT last night as well as a thin-neck-profile CU24 at the local shop. No CE24s anywhere near me right now. I liked both of them, but the CE24 has my imagination captured. I liked the thin neck, so I’m pretty sure that will translate well to the CE24. I think I’ll save the DGT for a Private Stock reward to myself one of these days when I hit some major goals.

Anyway, the question was more along the lines of used vs new. Doesn’t seem to be that much of a deciding factor from what I can gather. Your response points in that direction as well.

The one I got happens to be new, with a warranty (in case of finish issues), and I’m sure I can return it if I’m not 100% satisfied, which to me tilted it towards new-is-better. And this one is drop-dead gorgeous. I can’t quit staring at the pictures! It HAS to play better or at least as good as my Vela based on looks alone. :) Peace, out.
By All Means, Whatever Works Best For You Do That! I Wasn't Ware All Your Choices Were At Different Locations And None Were In Person Buys.

My favorite CE-24 is the Hiland, which is basically one with a maple fretboard and different neck carve (my favorite among PRS). I have two of them, great guitars.

My favorite CE-24 is the Hiland, which is basically one with a maple fretboard and different neck carve (my favorite among PRS). I have two of them, great guitars.
I love my green DW Floyd CE24, too. Mojo DW Tomohawk pickups are amazing and it plays like butter.

I've looked at JH ones in the past, but never gotten my hands on one.

My approx 2016-2018 CE24 is great, too, but it has a set of Pure Wound hand wound Zhangbucker.com pickups in it that I spec'd out in an interview several sets ago. I order different versions with either A2 or A5 magnets every time from him.

It's HERE! See, I knew hitting the refresh button on the FedEx app every 30 minutes would make it get here faster. They said it was supposed to be delivered between 11 and 3. Usually they are here at 3:28. But not today! They got here at 9:35am!

I'm really torn. The outside temp overnight was 66 degrees. The temp in my house is 76. How long should I wait before opening the box?

It's HERE! See, I knew hitting the refresh button on the FedEx app every 30 minutes would make it get here faster. They said it was supposed to be delivered between 11 and 3. Usually they are here at 3:28. But not today! They got here at 9:35am!

I'm really torn. The outside temp overnight was 66 degrees. The temp in my house is 76. How long should I wait before opening the box?
I'd do it now. But that's me. YMMV.

Back