Which Artist, Which Session?

Goldtop

A Top (and Heart) of Gold
Let's say you could travel back in time and be a fly on the wall for any studio session... Which artist would it be? Which session? Why? To learn how they got a particular sound, or just to witness the whole process?

It would be difficult for me to pick just one, but if I had to I'd probably choose The Who and the sessions for "Tommy" or "Quadrophenia".

Goldtop

Last edited:
I would have to say any SRV session, with Phil Keaggy's "Master and the Musician" being a close second. Never got to see Stevie, but I got to see Phil play that album live, front to back on the 30th anniversary tour... best show I've ever seen. So I guess that's about as close as you get to the session on that one!

I would have had to have chosen the sessions for The Beatles' "Revolver" as they began to mesh their use of psychedelics ("Good day Sunshine", "Tomorrow Never Knows") with their increasingly sophisticated composition of music...sitting in on those sessions would have been something to witness. Plus...free contact highs would have abounded!

Either that....or the photo sessions for the original "Butcher Cover" of "Yesterday & Today".

30 Seconds to Mars' sessions.

Because my son is the recording engineer. I'd really like to see him do his thing.

These are some great replies; thanks very much.

When I started this thread, I thought about whether I'd really want to be around my favorite artists in those situations. You hear about so much in-fighting, and politics, and ugliness going on in studios... To see and hear it firsthand might burst some bubbles. But I'd probably still risk it in some cases if given the chance.

Lloyd

Now this is a good question!

Metallica - and justice for all..... one of my favourite albums ever, could not imagine seeing them create the songs infront of me! the album doesn't sound the best but those songs are masterpieces

Or

Pantera - Vulgar display of power. I got to see Dimebag live once I will never ever forget it, a total legend, made it look so effortless like he was born with a guitar in his hands. Get the beers flowing!

Stevie Wonder "Songs in the key of life" so many great songs and sounds, hopefully I would learn something.

Ozzy's "Blizzard Of Oz". Michael Hedges' "Aerial Boundaries". Second for the Who's "Tommy" and/or "Quadrophenia". Zappa's "Joe's Garage".

Thanks yet again for these replies guys. Very cool. Makes me think about my other choices.

Goldtop

Love to have been in on Pink Floyd doing Dark Side or The Wall. Possibly the Wall including working on the concerts and film.

You wouldn't have wanted to be near Roger Waters during this period of the band. At best....you'd get cursed out repeatedly. Worse, you might have gotten spit on. Repeatedly.

Roger appears to have mellowed out a bit in his mid-60's.

You wouldn't have wanted to be near Roger Waters during this period of the band. At best....you'd get cursed out repeatedly. Worse, you might have gotten spit on. Repeatedly.

Roger appears to have mellowed out a bit in his mid-60's.

I know, I think that's what intrigues me...

Did you ever read Gerald Scarfe's account of The Wall? Great book! It's Richard Wright I felt most sorry for. Always seemed like a decent, quiet guy who just got on with things.

I would have loved to sit in on David Gilmour's On An Island sessions -

And Pink Floyd's DSOTM. I maybe could have even gotten a vocal cameo as one of the laughs....

Back