Which Amp Do I Need Next?

• HXDA

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • DG

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Neither, you already have it covered

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
Yup. Me and the Mrs went Tuesday night. Seats in the center of the 6th row. He was about 25 feet in front of us for 3+ hours....39 songs. No breaks. He didn't even take a drink of water, or anything, all night. Incredibly fun time. Great show, and super tight band.

I gotta ask...Did you see any Kempers or Axe FXs on stage? ;)

But seriously, what amps where they using on the backline? Probably the same configuration for the last 10 years or so, right?

Last edited:
Yup. Me and the Mrs went Tuesday night. Seats in the center of the 6th row. He was about 25 feet in front of us for 3+ hours....39 songs. No breaks. He didn't even take a drink of water, or anything, all night. Incredibly fun time. Great show, and super tight band.

I'm utterly jealous!

Friend of mine saw him a few months ago in Cincinnati and said the same thing. Over three hours, no break, GREAT show.

I gotta ask...Did you see any Kempers or Axe FXs on stage? ;)

But seriously, what amps where they using on the backline? Probably the same configuration for the last 10 years or so, right?

Nope, no modelers! :p

Lets see, the lead guitar player had a couple of little Morgan heads, each on top of a 2x12. Not sure which model, but they were wrapped in Tweed. Paul had two Vox heads, each on top of a Vox 4x12. He also had a rack mount for his bass, and a couple of Mesa cabs. The other guitarist had 2 Divided By 13 heads, each on top of a Marshall slant 4x12. He also played bass when Paul was playing guitar. His bass rig was two Ashdown bass amps.

Les, this video is for you. Check out what the keyboard player is using on this tune. There's hope for you yet! He played it on 3 songs.

BTW, this is a song that John and Paul's first band, The Quarrymen, recorded. It was pretty cool. Also note how there appears to be an "aura" around Paul. Neither the Mrs or I, or anyone around us, could get a good, in focus picture of Paul. Logical thinking would say it was due to his bright white shirt and the spotlights (one from the front and one from the rear) that were on him all night long. Me, I'm not so sure the Conspiracy Theorists had it wrong. Paul really is dead! I gotta go spin Sgt. Pepper's backwards now! :p

I was flipping channels last weekend and saw Phil Collins in concert. I watched two songs. From the guide, I tuned in about 45 minutes into the concert. Both songs I saw were slow songs, and he sat on the drum riser completely through both songs. Never stood up. Looked tired. I flipped over and watched the last 30 minutes of Tommy Boy instead. Our rock star heros are getting old!

He may not have the stamina he once had, but he didn't have an accordion either. :) (I'm picturing Les in a hat, shorts, boots with high white socks, suspenders, dancing around a large beer keg and spinning the polka hits from the 30s, 40s and 50s!)

He may not have the stamina he once had, but he didn't have an accordion either. :) (I'm picturing Les in a hat, shorts, boots with high white socks, suspenders, dancing around a large beer keg and spinning the polka hits from the 30s, 40s and 50s!)

Yes, I DID play "Roll Out The Barrel" on the accordion, as well as other polkas, a smattering of Christmas songs, standards like Blue Hawaii, C'est Si Bon, and other musical detritus and effluvia of the 1940s and 50s. Also early 60s instrumental hits like Telstar and novelty pop tunes. :)

But hey, I was 8 years old!

Little did I know that the accordion is actually the most awesome instrument ever created! Think about it: a piano and bass that you can carry around and operate without electricity!

Don't be jealous guys, I'll be glad to give you an accordion lesson. ;)

PS - at no time did I ever wear a polka outfit or lederhosen. But I certainly would have if I'd been given them!

Last edited:
Introducing Myron Floren...And yeah, I'm old enough to remember watching these performances, live, on the Lawrence Welk Show. And he was a better player than Lawrence too...

Yes, I DID play "Roll Out The Barrel" on the accordion, as well as other polkas, a smattering of Christmas songs, standards like Blue Hawaii, C'est Si Bon, and other musical detritus and effluvia of the 1940s and 50s. Also early 60s instrumental hits like Telstar and novelty pop tunes. :)

But hey, I was 8 years old!

Little did I know that the accordion is actually the most awesome instrument ever created! Think about it: a piano and bass that you can carry around and operate without electricity!

Don't be jealous guys, I'll be glad to give you an accordion lesson. ;)

PS - at no time did I ever wear a polka outfit or lederhosen. But I certainly would have if I'd been given them!

Ok, I get it. But I don't wear that stuff... although I do have the legs for it.

I'm posting just because there haven't been any new posts on this forum section in a few days. Get busy, guys!

I have nothing new to talk about or demonstrate, sadly.

Which amp will fill a gap for me? Or, rather, which amp do i need first?

Thanks

il_fullxfull.256631470.jpg

Well, i may or may not need either but i certainly want both. The closest ones to me are at least 3 hours away. Sigh.

Three hours is a short drive! You will spend many times that with an amp, so it's a good investment of your time.

Use the Archon 25 at home for practice.

Get and Archon 50 for gigs.

Use the Archon 50 with the Archon 25 stacked on top of it. Use the Archon 50 to power both speakers.

Back