Which 3 Pickup PRS?

Which 3 Pickup PRS?

• Silver Sky

• SH Special

• Triple Soapbar Custom

• Other (specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
D5cWJcE.jpg

I have essentially two guitars, a 509 and a wood Library Hollowbody II piezo. They compliment each other very well. The Hollowbody is the perfect set of vintagesque humbucker (2020 TCI) while the 509 is single coils that happen to have the option for some of the best super Strat modern humbuckers. My advice for a 509 would to maybe wood library it and get Woods more akin to a Stratocaster. Mines a regular core and sometimes I wish it was a smidge brighter and quackier.

I have essentially two guitars, a 509 and a wood Library Hollowbody II piezo. They compliment each other very well. The Hollowbody is the perfect set of vintagesque humbucker (2020 TCI) while the 509 is single coils that happen to have the option for some of the best super Strat modern humbuckers. My advice for a 509 would to maybe wood library it and get Woods more akin to a Stratocaster. Mines a regular core and sometimes I wish it was a smidge brighter and quackier.

‘wood library it’.

I definitely got that impression of the 509 listening to some side by sides

I snagged on from Brian’s WL run. Maple neck and board with a Swamp Ash back. Love it!

Hard to believe I've been looking since April, but the day of choice has finally come.

:drumroll:

Threw down for a Modern Eagle V swamp ash - Catalina Dream top with maple neck/fretboard!

Now the wait *really* begins...

Can't wait to see that NGD!

In terms of 3 pick-up guitars - I have a Special Semi-Hollow...

MNZdo85.jpg

a 509 (although this may also be considered a 5 pick-up guitar)...
BJ3Om6e.jpg

And a Hollowbody ii with Piezo
iRJZWZk.jpg

All very different guitars and quite different applications.

The Hollowbody is more vintage with the 58/15 LT's that really compliment the hollow body and the Piezo can be used to add some 'chimey' goodness on top or even substitute for an Acoustic too. The Special is such a versatile guitar too and the 58/15 MT's are a bit hotter and more of a classic humbucker sound. The NF is quite unique - fatter sounding than a SC and adds to variety of tonal options on offer - although you cannot use the NF on its own (without modifications) but the way its wired, you do get the '8' tonal options available with individual coil tapping/splitting that you get from other guitars (408, Cu24-08, 35th Cu24 etc) The 509 is quite different again and I think more modern than the others - more of a Super-Strat. You get the usual 5 selection options a regular Strat offers with the added option of turning the neck and bridge into a Humbucker - like a lot of Superstrats offer. You can't though get both humbuckers together - that 'middle' position you get on a double humbucker guitar as the middle gives you the middle single coil. The scale length too is a bit closer to the Superstrat too.

As such, each is quite different. I think the 509 is more like a multiple instrument in one and quite a jack of all trades. The Special is a Special instrument, incredibly versatile - more so than say a 408, Cu24-08 etc but in a different way to the versatility of a 509. The HBii is also quite versatile - doubling up as an Acoustic option and can add something to the mix when blended in. Splitting the Piezo and Magnetic Signal is, in my opinion, the better option but even blending it in through a regular Guitar amp offers something extra too.

Hard to believe I've been looking since April, but the day of choice has finally come.

:drumroll:

Threw down for a Modern Eagle V swamp ash - Catalina Dream top with maple neck/fretboard!

Now the wait *really* begins...
Yeah, man! You’re gonna love it!

In the following order DC3, S2 Studio, EG lll, SAS, 509. The DC3 with a maple neck is my all time favorite strat style guitar. You get the 10" PRS radius, big frets to bend notes, and unbelievable access to the top frets. By the way, these are the 3 pickup guitars I have, with the 509 on the way .I was looking for the most different from my humbucker guitars.The DC3 wins.

Back