Which 2 Axes Would You Bring...?

also "wowzer" ....thanks for sharing....those are some beauties for sure! I think the "Autumn Charcoal Burst" color and my favorite "Charcoal Cherry Burst" are truly the most innovative cosmetic colors in production models guitars today....

Yup

Mine?
Oh. Rough places:

FB115709-7283-4167-A2B9-D3E564864ECB.jpeg

Different R9 though. :)

....are you looking to adopt “an older” orphan....? I know of one who likes guitars too and wouldn’t be much trouble....he’s got his own transportation with insurance if that helps any....

The two I would gig if I were you would be the Santana and the Tremonti.

I have gigged all my PRS'. But my favorites to use are:

My red CU22. This guitar is a looker, with a GORGEOUS Scarlett Red Quilted 10-top. It has Dragon IIs which I am not really a fan of at lower volumes, but MAN, they sing at stage volume. This guitar ONLY gets played live. It sucks as a house guitar because the Dragon IIs just don't give me what I like unless the amp is LOUD - then all the notes begin to slide into feedback, and it sounds like angels descending to attack the people in the front row!!!

I also tend to favor my SC245. This guitar was my first amazing PRS. Everything about it is killer. This guitar is such perfection that I don't need to look - or even really hear it (you live players will know what I mean - when the guitar is just "there" in the mix) to play it with awesomeness!!!!

The two I would gig if I were you would be the Santana and the Tremonti.

I have gigged all my PRS'. But my favorites to use are:

My red CU22. This guitar is a looker, with a GORGEOUS Scarlett Red Quilted 10-top. It has Dragon IIs which I am not really a fan of at lower volumes, but MAN, they sing at stage volume. This guitar ONLY gets played live. It sucks as a house guitar because the Dragon IIs just don't give me what I like unless the amp is LOUD - then all the notes begin to slide into feedback, and it sounds like angels descending to attack the people in the front row!!!

I also tend to favor my SC245. This guitar was my first amazing PRS. Everything about it is killer. This guitar is such perfection that I don't need to look - or even really hear it (you live players will know what I mean - when the guitar is just "there" in the mix) to play it with awesomeness!!!!

Best positive comment on Dragon IIs I've read. Awesome.

It all depends on what style of music i'd be playing and which amps i'd be using. For classic rock gigs i bring my 594 and Cu22(85/15's) with the piezo and my Archons.

If i'm playing mostly clean stuff i'll bring the SSH LTD and the Cu24(85/15's) with my Dallas and Louis Columbia Reverb.

If i'm playing blues i'll bring the HBII(miras) and the McShootout(57/08's) with the Dallas and Louis Columbia Reverb.

If it's an HXDA gig i'll bring the McShootout(57/08's) and the SSH LTD.

If i don't know the backline or what i'm playing i'd bring the DGT and any other guitar with a wide/fat neck that looks like it needs a night out... but probably the SSH LTD...

I was a page and a half in and still thinking, "not one person yet has asked what kind of gig this is." Seems to me, especially as many guitars as some of you have, that what kind of gig it is would be a big part of deciding. I know it would for me.

I have very few one trick ponies in my stable.
My L-5 is one, my Esquires are some others.
Beyond that I’m confident I could probably cover any gig I’ve faced in the last forty years with any PRS I currently own, and most of my other electric guitars.
One yeah, I have one Classical that doesn’t plug in, so that’s pretty specific (I’ve never been a concert ready classical guitarist anyway).
I have a 12-string Strat if it comes to that. Also bass, ukulele, banjo, and a mandolin.

Otherwise there’s always a Telecaster stashed behind the seat in my pickup truck just in case.

Last edited:
I have very few one trick ponies in my stable.
Totally get that. But, there is no question some guitars are better for some things than others. I mean, if I'm asked to play hard rock, I'm not going to take the Cutlass or a strat, with an Axis, JP12 and Custom 24 sitting there.

Totally get that. But, there is no question some guitars are better for some things than others. I mean, if I'm asked to play hard rock, I'm not going to take the Cutlass or a strat, with an Axis, JP12 and Custom 24 sitting there.

The other week at a rehearsal for something totally different, the bass player was screwing around with a blues in C. The other guitarist and I started cranking things up a bit, recreationally. He’s a good fusion player (uses a PRS Hollowbody II).
I was just using my usual workhorse partsocaster Tele.
Things built. Pretty soon we were kinda just going for it, trading high energy blues/rock choruses.

I reached down and turned my Cube 80X to “Dyna touch,” rolled off the highs on my back pickup, and went off!
The notes were ALL going into juicy harmonic feedback that sounded like no Telecaster ever unleashed upon the unsuspecting earth. Tons of grunt, sing, and wail, touch sensitivity, the whole bit. Rocked out totally: from James Burton to metal!

The other guitarist couldn’t believe it. He had never heard me cut loose before.

Tele and a SS amp did the job and stayed with his PRS and boutique tube amp no problem.

Would I have sounded better through one of my PRSi and my Dr Z-28? Possibly, but I could have covered pretty much anything that night, in that room, at the time, with that Tele/Roland rig.

For me it gets down to nuance. I’ll pay plenty for those nuances, but feel confident with about any basic rig (and a Tele, if there’s any doubt about what I’ve signed up for...

I was a page and a half in and still thinking, "not one person yet has asked what kind of gig this is." Seems to me, especially as many guitars as some of you have, that what kind of gig it is would be a big part of deciding. I know it would for me.

I just pictured an ideal gig in a place where I don't have to worry about my gear.

Then I saw 11top's SC, and now I'm worried that I'm going to want one.

Unless there’s chicken wire, I’m still taking the two I cited above. I should knock on wood (as long as it’s not my guitar), but I’ve yet to have a real incident. I’m pretty careful, and I’ve been lucky. I like the SC trem piezo because it can cover so much ground; a true Swiss Army knife guitar.

Last edited:
Back