Where to find original Vela neck pickup or replacement?

TFC

That guitar really tied the room together
I recently picked up a second Vela and the previous owner replaced the original D Type neck pickup with a Firebird. It sounds fine, but I really like having the single coil in the neck so I want to replace it. The neck pickup is a huge part of what I like about the Vela. Does anyone know where I can find either a D Type pickup, or know of other replacement pickups that are similar?

I also need to add that even though I have several core PRS to choose from, the Vela is my go to for the cover band I just got into. The light weight and comfort are very addictive for me and the sounds and versatility are great.

pKS9PLd.jpeg

That TV Jones looks very interesting... I wonder how it compares to the Vela?
To the OP - you're not alone in your love for the Vela. It's really gained popularity in the last couple of years.
I have 3, and have sold off most of my 'core' models over the last few years...

Yeah, @markd21 I have the same question as xjbebop: How would you compare the sound of the TV Jones vs the stock G&B?

I really like the "character" the stock neck p/u. It's sounds like a neck pickup but with some of the chime of a bridge pickup.

I looked for some YT videos but most are country lick Gretsch videos.

The T-Armond/Dynasonic/Dearmond is a twangy, but fat sounding neck pickup. It's response to overdrive is very smooth but throaty.

If I remember right, it was close to the G&B, but better. Almost like it had mastering that the G&B didn't.

Watch the sizing on that TV Jones. It's a bit different than a firebird sized pickup. You'd probably need to shave the hole in the pickguard slightly... 2/10ths of an inch or so.

To me the TV Jones T-Armond is like a vintage Dearmond but with better clarity and definition, but a similar tonal profile. The PRS D-type is like a Dearmond crossed with a Strat pickup, so a bit 'lighter', a bit less midrange than the TV Jones but still great clarity and definition.

The PRS D-type is like a Dearmond crossed with a Strat pickup, so a bit 'lighter', a bit less midrange than the TV Jones but still great clarity and definition.

Such a great description and is why I decided not to change the neck pickup... I am going to pop a USA Starla pickup in the bridge at some point to see if there is any difference... it’s such a great guitar

Such a great description and is why I decided not to change the neck pickup... I am going to pop a USA Starla pickup in the bridge at some point to see if there is any difference... it’s such a great guitar
I wish the USA versions were more available. Would love to test the same.

Back