Where to find original Vela neck pickup or replacement?

TFC

That guitar really tied the room together
I recently picked up a second Vela and the previous owner replaced the original D Type neck pickup with a Firebird. It sounds fine, but I really like having the single coil in the neck so I want to replace it. The neck pickup is a huge part of what I like about the Vela. Does anyone know where I can find either a D Type pickup, or know of other replacement pickups that are similar?

I also need to add that even though I have several core PRS to choose from, the Vela is my go to for the cover band I just got into. The light weight and comfort are very addictive for me and the sounds and versatility are great.

pKS9PLd.jpeg

xjbebop

Yippy ki yay...
That TV Jones looks very interesting... I wonder how it compares to the Vela?
To the OP - you're not alone in your love for the Vela. It's really gained popularity in the last couple of years.
I have 3, and have sold off most of my 'core' models over the last few years...

TFC

That guitar really tied the room together
Yeah, @markd21 I have the same question as xjbebop: How would you compare the sound of the TV Jones vs the stock G&B?

I really like the "character" the stock neck p/u. It's sounds like a neck pickup but with some of the chime of a bridge pickup.

markd21

I looked for some YT videos but most are country lick Gretsch videos.

The T-Armond/Dynasonic/Dearmond is a twangy, but fat sounding neck pickup. It's response to overdrive is very smooth but throaty.

If I remember right, it was close to the G&B, but better. Almost like it had mastering that the G&B didn't.

John Beef

Opaque
Watch the sizing on that TV Jones. It's a bit different than a firebird sized pickup. You'd probably need to shave the hole in the pickguard slightly... 2/10ths of an inch or so.

Rhythmisking

To me the TV Jones T-Armond is like a vintage Dearmond but with better clarity and definition, but a similar tonal profile. The PRS D-type is like a Dearmond crossed with a Strat pickup, so a bit 'lighter', a bit less midrange than the TV Jones but still great clarity and definition.

Wailing

The PRS D-type is like a Dearmond crossed with a Strat pickup, so a bit 'lighter', a bit less midrange than the TV Jones but still great clarity and definition.

Such a great description and is why I decided not to change the neck pickup... I am going to pop a USA Starla pickup in the bridge at some point to see if there is any difference... it’s such a great guitar

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
Such a great description and is why I decided not to change the neck pickup... I am going to pop a USA Starla pickup in the bridge at some point to see if there is any difference... it’s such a great guitar
I wish the USA versions were more available. Would love to test the same.