Where to find more info about the Core Starla?

Rtfk101

Hey guys, first time long time, anyway I’ve been eyeing this Core Series Starla at a local guitar shop that’s being sold used, and I really want to buy it but I want to know more about the guitar before I drop 1700 on a guitar.

I know they only made these for a year or two but I’d like to know specifically what years and how many were built. Also I’d like to know what differentiates it from the S2 Starla’s. Is it just the hard case and electronics? I’m having trouble finding much of any information on this guitar because every time I search I get info for the S2 Starla. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

I agree with Les and Sergio. That is a lot to pay, currently. There are several on Reverb right now for substantially less.

All the ones I’ve found on reverb are S2 models! I’m looking for one that is cherry red with a bigsby. If someone can find a core Starla with that finish on reverb I’ll give you a hug and a kiss, but last I’ve seen there isn’t one up

All the ones I’ve found on reverb are S2 models! I’m looking for one that is cherry red with a bigsby. If someone can find a core Starla with that finish on reverb I’ll give you a hug and a kiss, but last I’ve seen there isn’t one up

I'll take sloppy seconds!

https://reverb.com/item/23790266-paul-reed-smith-starla-core-2008
https://reverb.com/item/23790266-paul-reed-smith-starla-core-2008
hthttps://reverb.com/item/21318415-2010-prs-paul-reed-smith-starla-core-model-vintage-cherrytps://reverb.com/item/22201003-prs-starla-2009-cherry

The scale length changed, the body carve changed, and the pickup manufacturer changed. Never tried the S2 pickups as I have a core but many report the S2 lost some pizzazz in the pickup department. Absolutely great instrument!

Well. This is going to be the most action I’ll get in a while!

Seriously though that is great news, that’s like 900 bucks less than I was anticipating I’d spend on this guitar. Thank a lot!

I hope you buy the one I linked.... I’m getting an itchy trigger finger for that kinda coin.

They were introduced in 2008, and I believe production ceased either at the very end of 2012 or early 2013, so almost five years of manufacture. As mentioned, exact numbers won't be available.

There were a few variants of the basic Core model over that timespan as well - a stoptail version with a tune-o-matic, a version with a Santana headstock, and some limited paint job runs (sparkle finishes, e.g.). They made exactly 6 solid rosewood neck examples at the very end as well.

There was also a Starla 'X' done for a very short time in late 2009/early 2010 - made out of different alterna-woods (obeche body/sipo neck/pau ferro fingerboard), different pickups (HB or P90) and no Bigsby... but this was sort of a proto-S2, made to hit a price point.

IMO the Core model is superior to the S2 - the S2 is (was) nice, but the pickups on the Core are what made it special - and if you're a purist, the USA-made Bigsby was superior as well.

Also IMO the O.G. Core Starla is the best model PRS ever did... just because of the crazy tonal range it has. It can do most things, very versatile, handles really nicely and also did a lot to make PRS appeal more to vintage traditionalists.

I agree that $1700 is probably too high, but I have noticed that second-hand prices are going up as clean examples get rarer...

I had one mainly fond memories of it, really nice sounding guitar very SG like, if your a short scale Bigbsy kinda guy it 100% the guitar for you.
I liked how it sounded on other folks more than me, traded it for a Mira, that traded for or sold to get ?? Hmmm long story

IMG_2277 by

What pickups did you have in this one?

Well how much did core Starlas go for at which years? $1700 for a McCarty from the '00s, for example, would be a decent deal. Not exceptional, but on the better end of average currently.

Back