Where my dyslexic peeps???

ScottR

If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.
Am I the only one? Not trying to call people out just wondering how others cope with reading tabs, watching videos to learn etc.

I wouldn’t normally ask, but it’s becoming more and more of a stumbling block for my progress. I’ve learned most of the things I know by ear (which ain’t much lemme tell ya), and I know that’s a good thing, but it has it’s limitations.

I’ve fought with it my entire life and I was just wondering if anyone else has managed to overcome this bullsh!t when it comes to guitar.

Like I said just curious.

Last edited:
I don't know that I have ever been dyslexic, but I will tell you this. The way tabs are written is idiotic! To have the strings flipped from the order they are on the guitar is just crazy. Oh, I know why they did it, clinging to the whole ascending/descending notes order, but if you are trying to make things easier for people who don't want to or can't read traditional music notation (which I was proficient at as a child but have not done in years), then do it right and put the staff lines in the same sequence as the strings on the guitar. As a result, I ALWAYS take the tabs I download and flip the lines so they are in a non-dyslexic order! This is how tabs staff lines should look IMO:

E|---------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------|
e|---------------------------------------|

I have spent many an hour "fixing" tabs that were not "proper" so I could read them without having to transpose vertically what line corresponds with what string!

I don't know that I have ever been dyslexic, but I will tell you this. The way tabs are written is idiotic! To have the strings flipped from the order they are on the guitar is just crazy. Oh, I know why they did it, clinging to the whole ascending/descending notes order, but if you are trying to make things easier for people who don't want to or can't read traditional music notation (which I was proficient at as a child but have not done in years), then do it right and put the staff lines in the same sequence as the strings on the guitar. As a result, I ALWAYS take the tabs I download and flip the lines so they are in a non-dyslexic order! This is how tabs staff lines should look IMO:

E|---------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------|
e|---------------------------------------|

I have spent many an hour "fixing" tabs that were not "proper" so I could read them without having to transpose vertically what line corresponds with what string!
Thanks bro! It’s a b!tch and as much as I love trying to find the notes with my ears, I feel like I’m missing out on so much by not being able to read at least the tabs. Thanks for the input dude. It’s frustrating to say the least.

Thanks bro! It’s a b!tch and as much as I love trying to find the notes with my ears, I feel like I’m missing out on so much by not being able to read at least the tabs. Thanks for the input dude. It’s frustrating to say the least.
Yeah, I really like the tab format, except as noted above! Other than that, I think it is a fabulous way to help people play guitar (self included)!! Don't know if you have seen the Spreadsheet I started years ago, but there is a lot of good stuff in it if you are interested, though I don't think any of it will help with dyslexia, just my way of summarizing a ton of data on guitar. Not completed in my head, but rich with stuff to experiment with!!!

I’m on the less severe end of the spectrum, so what works for me might not do anything for you. And it might not let you play the song the way you want.

I don’t even try to read everything in the tab. I go for the chord progressions (much easier if the music also shows them) and look at where the notes being played are - upper/lower/middle. Then I trust my ears to flesh things out from that framework. Granted, sometimes I end up with a whole new song, but I only read to feed myself new ideas so job done.

Am I the only one? Not trying to call people out just wondering how others cope with reading tabs, watching videos to learn etc.

I wouldn’t normally ask, but it’s becoming more and more of a stumbling block for my progress. I’ve learned most of the things I know by ear (which ain’t much lemme tell ya), and I know that’s a good thing, but it has it’s limitations.

It fought with it my entire life and I was just wondering if anyone else has managed to overcome this bullsh!t when it comes to guitar.

Like I said just curious.

Dyslexic and emotionally needy, I’m gonna have to re-think our bromance.

I’m on the less severe end of the spectrum, so what works for me might not do anything for you. And it might not let you play the song the way you want.

I don’t even try to read everything in the tab. I go for the chord progressions (much easier if the music also shows them) and look at where the notes being played are - upper/lower/middle. Then I trust my ears to flesh things out from that framework. Granted, sometimes I end up with a whole new song, but I only read to feed myself new ideas so job done.
Thanks buddy! That’s pretty much what I’ve had to do when I watch videos. Get the basic finger placement or area and find my way around by ear from there. Like they say the journey is the best part, right? I’ve learned to get thru what I type and read as I’ve gotten older. Still slip occasionally and I’ll jumble stuff. I also have the attention span of a puppy so that doesn’t help…SQUIRREL!!!!;):p

You're not alone, I'm dyslexic, not just mild! A difficult subject, different for everyone.
The only thing I can tell you is that I understand you!
The way I do this is to make mental pictures of what I see, section by section, if I try to do it too quickly or too much at once I start to invert and tangle, loss of guaranteed time!

I really like to play by ear better, much faster in my case!
I will always have this fascination for those who manage to read it and play it simultaneously.

OMG, are you serious? You never told me this before! Does this have anything to do with why you never would take me up on my offer to zoom or Skype with you and show you some leads? And here I thought it was just because you thought I sucked! LOL.

Dang man, didn’t know this. And admit, I don’t know any tricks or tips that would help. :(

OMG, are you serious? You never told me this before! Does this have anything to do with why you never would take me up on my offer to zoom or Skype with you and show you some leads? And here I thought it was just because you thought I sucked! LOL.

Dang man, didn’t know this. And admit, I don’t know any tricks or tips that would help. :(
It’s not a big deal. Like every thing hard in life, ya gotta learn to adapt and overcome it by any means necessary. Like VB mentioned there’s a spectrum and there are people far worse than me. I’m stoked that I can work thru it on the fly much better than I used to. It wasn’t until I started playing that it became a challenge again. I have figured out ways around it for a long time but this is different. I HAD to learn to read to function in society but I LOVE to play because it’s my passion. I’m extremely dedicated to working thru the dyslexic B.S. it’s just taking me longer to figure this out than usual. But I WILL GET THERE!!

To answer your question…yeah I guess subconsciously/consciously I avoid situations where it’s “noticeable” for lack of a better term. Kinda feels like I’m back in 3rd grade again, but with the guitar not books. Which would have been friggin epic btw! :cool:Thanks for all the way back then bro I’ll always appreciate you and your offer.

Last edited:
It’s not a big deal. Like every thing hard in life, ya gotta learn to adapt and overcome it by any means necessary. Like VB mentioned there’s a spectrum and there are people far worse than me. I’m stoked that I can work thru it on the fly much better than I used to. It wasn’t until I started playing that it became a challenge again. I have figured out ways around it for a long time but this is different. I HAD to learn to read to function in society but I LOVE to play because it’s my passion. I’m extremely dedicated to working thru the dyslexic B.S. it’s just taking me longer to figure this out than usual. But I WILL GET THERE!!

To answer your question…yeah I guess subconsciously/consciously I avoid situations where it’s “noticeable” for lack of a better term. Kinda feels like I’m back in 3rd grade again, but with the guitar not books. Which would have been friggin epic btw! :cool:Thanks for all the way back then bro I’ll always appreciate you and your offer.
Well, now that its out there, and certainly nothing to be ashamed of, the offer still stands. In fact, something hit me last night. Please don't get mad if this is way off track. You know how so many videos are backwards when people put them on the net? Meaning, they look like they're playing left handed when you watch the video... does that help, or hurt, when you watch videos like that?

I've had very little experience with this, but what I had wasn't good. Someone I REALLY liked and that was very intelligent worked for me for a while, and they must have been on the higher end of the spectrum. We simply couldn't find a place for her, where we could get past it. My business is not one where people can transpose numbers without serious problems. She was way overqualified to just answer phones, but EVERY other job in my office is one where you have to get the numbers correct EVERY time.

Anyway, when you try to watch videos, does it help or hurt when they are inverted?

Well, now that its out there, and certainly nothing to be ashamed of, the offer still stands. In fact, something hit me last night. Please don't get mad if this is way off track. You know how so many videos are backwards when people put them on the net? Meaning, they look like they're playing left handed when you watch the video... does that help, or hurt, when you watch videos like that?

I've had very little experience with this, but what I had wasn't good. Someone I REALLY liked and that was very intelligent worked for me for a while, and they must have been on the higher end of the spectrum. We simply couldn't find a place for her, where we could get past it. My business is not one where people can transpose numbers without serious problems. She was way overqualified to just answer phones, but EVERY other job in my office is one where you have to get the numbers correct EVERY time.

Anyway, when you try to watch videos, does it help or hurt when they are inverted?
The best way I can describe it is the only way I can follow along with videos is POV (get your mind outta the gutter). As in I have to view the persons playing as if I were looking thru their eyes. Then slow it down a lot. It’s mostly about transcribing from tabs. They just screw with my head. There aren’t many, if any that teach the way I can understand or translate. All it would take is a different camera angle. I don’t know how much of a market there is for Dyslexic Guitar Tutorial content but I would love to do it myself eventually. I’ve seen stranger things…unfortunately.

Either way. That’s where the playing by ear has been absolutely necessary. But I’m not mad about it.

Man that’s tough. But I totally get it. I use to transpose numbers but I had to learn to slow my mind down the best I could to function. I have to admit, my excuse for many years at work was, I wanted all the numbers double then triple checked for errors. Mainly because of mine, but I always implemented the 2 or 3 sets of eyes are better than one rule especially when your talking money.

Thanks again man. I will take you up on it eventually. The charts @Moondog Wily sent me are gonna help a lot.

Back