Where else in Chicago might I find a Santana?

matonanjin

I looked at Chicago Music Exchange inventory and they have only one Santana, a PS charcoal burst. On the plus side it's relatively light, which I need. But on the negative side it's top end of the budget and looking at photos I'm not thrilled with the look. I sure it's gorgeous in person.

I've got a week to spend in Chicago. You Chicagoans! where else can I go waste a lot of time shopping? The very dangerous knowledge is that this trip I am shopping/drooling without Mrs. matonanjin!

My son is taking me to Buddy Guy's tonight but after that it's open with no plans.

My guess would be the far Southeast Side, West Side and Northwest Side.

Good Time Music in Streamwood??
I just was handed a rude reminder of how bad Chicago traffic is! I headed to Good Time Music. After 30 minutes in bumper to bumper 5 mph traffic it occurred to me I wouldn't get there in time to really try any number of guitars and get back to my son's house in time for dinner. <sigh>

Maybe tomorrow.

I am going to dedicate a full day to shopping, Thursday or Friday, for Chicago Music Exchange, Guitar Works in Evanston and Music Gallery.

Last edited:
I just was handed a rude reminder of how bad Chicago traffic is! I headed to Good Time Music. After 30 minutes in bumper to bumper 5 mph traffic it occurred to me I wouldn't get there in time to really try any number of guitars and get back to my son's house in time for dinner. <sigh>

Maybe tomorrow.

I am going to dedicate a full day to shopping, Thursday or Friday, for Chicago Music Exchange, Guitar Works in Evanston and Music Gallery.
Let me know how Guitar Works is for you. They're my closest shop, but IIRC it's mostly new Fenders and used lower end stuff.

I keep meaning to carve out time to check out Midwest Buy'n'Sell.

Let me know how Guitar Works is for you. They're my closest shop, but IIRC it's mostly new Fenders and used lower end stuff.

I keep meaning to carve out time to check out Midwest Buy'n'Sell.
I will if I do end up going there. Looking at their inventory on Reverb there isn't anything I would be interested in. There are a couple nice Collings. I thought I wanted to go there because I remembered their having something I may be interested in seeing an ad in Vintage Guitar. Maybe they had pre CBS Strat.

But now there isn't much. If I eliminate any store from the shopping spree it will be Guitar Works.

FINALLY!!! I made it to Chicago Music Exchange and played the Santana! Full disclosure I could only play it a few minutes. (heath issues I won't go into)
But my first impression was the neck is somewhat "clunky". Is that possible? I don't understand the different PRS neck profiles. Is the Santana neck thicker? I'm a smaller guy with smaller hands. If so, maybe my quest for a Santana has come to an abrupt end. But I'm worried my impression is based on a faulty, too brief evaluation.

If I am able to get back next Tuesday for Paul's presentation I will go early and dedicate a little more time to trying it.

Last edited:
I would call the Santana neck chunky. It's got some beef to it, for sure. But, nothing close to the baseball bat on an R8, IMO. Hopefully you can get some more time with it on Tuesday.

Back