Where does the tone come from in an electric guitar?

Yeah, maybe when people say "tone comes from the fingers" they really mean style or sound. The guitar's tone is the sound it makes as it converts electromagnetic vibration into something audible. Style is how you control or manipulate the guitar and strings. Sound is the combination of those two things. In my opinion, of course.
Yea, I think that all of this is true as well…… I did leave stuff out!

That's true Les. I guess I mean if you and I played the same guitar we'd sound like ourselves. That kind of tone. If you played that fabulous Core of yours and I played my Vela, we would sound different.

So guitar tone + person tone = *your tone*

Yes, a guitars components and wood do contribute to the guitar tone. Not the final tone...it needs a person for that.

I totally agree with this, as I always do with your posts.

Pretty convincing video. It 'sounds' like when all things equal (pickup height, scale length, strings) at least the wood type of the body should almost make no difference at all.
Still the SE Standard 24 sounds different/darker than the SE custom 24 from what I've heard. Only difference is the maple cap. So maybe in those examples the pickup height was different?

You could take Eddie’s rig, put it in my hands, and wonder, “how does he get it to sound that bad??!!”

The canvas doesn’t paint itself and the brush isn’t a magical tool making everyone who wields it a master artist. But a good brush, the best paint, and quality canvas does eliminate those variables of potential suckage. The rest is up to the human.

I know you’re thinking… “ a swift kick in the a$$!” :p:p:p
Em, given my physical skills/abilities, I doubt that would be a good idea for either of us LOL. I was thinking more of the "heaps and heaps of self esteem" reward...
(you might not be the only internet comedian in the world, or at least around here)

This^^^

Thank you for this post.

The idea that the guitar, its materials, and its machinery aren't involved in tone is such unmitigated bullcrap that it's mind-boggling. Anyone who's played multiple guitars has experienced this, and the fact that people still debate it? Just...I dunno. They don't believe their own senses, I guess.
I kind of wish this wasn't true......just think how much money a person could save buying one guitar and only lusting after different colors???

I kind of wish this wasn't true......just think how much money a person could save buying one guitar and only lusting after different colors???

I completely agree.

Well, actually, I'd just have the McCarty Singlecut and call it done. Wouldn't lust after another color.

I completely agree.

Well, actually, I'd just have the McCarty Singlecut and call it done. Wouldn't lust after another color.
Sorry Sir but I have to call BS. Your McCarty is just plain a$$ beautiful but just when I think I have the guitars I want.....BOOM.....prs releases a new model. Surely has to be the same with colors!!!

Sorry Sir but I have to call BS. Your McCarty is just plain a$$ beautiful but just when I think I have the guitars I want.....BOOM.....prs releases a new model. Surely has to be the same with colors!!!

BS? Bev Schefman?? I don’t think Les’ wife is called Bev!:oops:

BS? Bev Schefman?? I don’t think Les’ wife is called Bev!:oops:
*Ring Ring* Hi, Bev? I have something to tell you about your husband, Les and his guitars. Yes, your husband! Don't deny it, I read it on the PRS forum and you're definitely married to Les! Definitely.

Aren't you BS?

BTW I'd never actually call anyone about their SO's guitars, karma would get me on my guitars!

Last edited:
This^^^

Thank you for this post.

The idea that the guitar, its materials, and its machinery aren't involved in tone is such unmitigated bullcrap that it's mind-boggling. Anyone who's played multiple guitars has experienced this, and the fact that people still debate it? Just...I dunno. They don't believe their own senses, I guess.

Agree completely. I saw a video of Gilmour playing the "Comfortably Numb" solo on a different guitar and although it sounded exactly like Gilmour, it didn't sound like the "Comfortably Numb" solo that's engrained in our collective memory. Pick-ups, scale length, wood, they all matter.

Back