Where do you shop for gear that isn't guitars?

DougUSMC

Perpetual Practicer
I guess it's safe to say that one particular website has the market cornered on a lot of musical gear, and I don't really have a problem with that. Whenever I've ordered through them they've come through, and I never mind the free candy that comes with my order. That being said, I'm a big proponent of locally owned, brick & mortar stores.

My biggest challenge (besides being a lefty) is that once you get past "student grade" or close to it, I pretty much have to go to them, or wait silly long wait times. For example: right now I'm looking at picking up a pickup set, Custom 20, plus a couple of other accessories.

Anyone have ideas or habits that I'm not thinking of?

I'm a big Reverb fan. I try and pick smaller shops to buy from. For example, I bought my Holcomb SE from a small place in Montana. I bought a Santana from a little store in northern Nevada. If I am looking for something "common", there is a family owned store, that has been in business since 1946, a couple of miles from my house. I'll support them as often as I can.

If I'm going big store, I like free candy too. I'm treated better there than some of the other large places.

Same here. For stuff, amazon. For gear, typically Sweetwater, eBay, or Reverb. Locally, there aren't a lot of B&M stores that can compete price-wise to amazon for small things like strings or other less expensive items.

Yet, that in itself is quite a temptation when one reads about some new product and amazon is selling it for less. Would prefer to save cash and not let stores take my money since my income is limited. Some months are better than others, finance-wise, and it's a struggle sometimes living on a limited income.

Regards how stores treat their customers, any decent store will go the extra mile to bring in and keep a loyal customer base. Not all stores have that business model affixed in their employee's minds.

I'm a big Reverb fan. I try and pick smaller shops to buy from. For example, I bought my Holcomb SE from a small place in Montana. I bought a Santana from a little store in northern Nevada. If I am looking for something "common", there is a family owned store, that has been in business since 1946, a couple of miles from my house. I'll support them as often as I can.

If I'm going big store, I like free candy too. I'm treated better there than some of the other large places.

Yeah, that's a good point, I always forget about Reverb being a doorway to the mom & pops. I'll do a search for what I'm looking for to see if it's available somewhere near me (state:md), but fall back on one of my other sources if that doesn't pan out.

Insofar as possible I like to use local independents, but once you get beyond the basics it's the internet. Usually I'll search around for the best combo of reputation/price/sales tax/shipping.
That said, I often favor the zz place or a certain big electronics/photo place in NY (which actually is a B&M), largely because here in Boston I generally get anything I order from them the next day (really!) with free standard shipping.

Insofar as possible I like to use local independents, but once you get beyond the basics it's the internet. Usually I'll search around for the best combo of reputation/price/sales tax/shipping.
That said, I often favor the zz place or a certain big electronics/photo place in NY (which actually is a B&M), largely because here in Boston I generally get anything I order from them the next day (really!) with free standard shipping.

Dang, that's kinda a bummer for me to hear! I'm Boston born & raised, and I remember a bunch of kicka$$ shops downtown like Daddy's etc. Are you saying they're gone or just don't carry what they used to?

Dang, that's kinda a bummer for me to hear! I'm Boston born & raised, and I remember a bunch of kicka$$ shops downtown like Daddy's etc. Are you saying they're gone or just don't carry what they used to?
Daddy's has been gone for about 10 years I'm afraid to say, the whole chain. Wurlitzer's is long gone. There are a couple of indie's in Cambridge,and Allston/Brighton and a few more out in the suburbs. It's hardly a desert, but most places don't usually have anything new or exciting enough to make a pilgrimage worthwhile unless you have something specific in mind. Which doesn't mean I don't go just for fun!

Phoenix, despite being the 5th largest city in the US, has very few options other than Guitar Center. So, for me it's:

Ck1G6z3.jpg

Daddy's has been gone for about 10 years I'm afraid to say, the whole chain. Wurlitzer's is long gone. There are a couple of indie's in Cambridge,and Allston/Brighton and a few more out in the suburbs. It's hardly a desert, but most places don't usually have anything new or exciting enough to make a pilgrimage worthwhile unless you have something specific in mind. Which doesn't mean I don't go just for fun!
Oh d@mn! That's where I got my first ever lefty, more than 20 yrs ago. US Strat, still have it.

Phoenix, despite being the 5th largest city in the US, has very few options other than Guitar Center. So, for me it's:
I dig it, but Boston is a bit of a different beast. It has a HUGE music history and indie scene. He11, the Daddy's that I got my guitar from is across the street from Berklee. You know, the music school?? ;)

the Daddy's that I got my guitar from is across the street from Berklee. You know, the music school??
Berklee is still there, fortunately. I just saw Anoushka Shankar there a couple of weekends ago. FYI, Berklee merged with the New England Conservatory a few years ago.
That Daddy's across the street is now a GC.
I got my first Strat (an American Standard, which I still have) in Wurlitzer's in '86. :)

Berklee is still there, fortunately. I just saw Anoushka Shankar there a couple of weekends ago. FYI, Berklee merged with the New England Conservatory a few years ago.
I got my first Strat (an American Standard, which I still have) in Wurlitzer's in '86. :)

Effn GC.

I got my first guitar (backwards Ibanez) around that time!

Actually, Berklee merged with the Boston Conservatory, which gave Berklee Dance and theatre programs. New England is still on its own. I'm an Alumnus, graduated in 1975.

For "not guitars"...
1) Local shop if the price isn't too ridiculous. Strings and crap I get local for sure. If I can support a local, then that feels good, like my recent wireless mic purchase.
2) Reverb. Almost everything I can't find locally is there.
3) Amazon, but not a lot interests me there.
4) Ebay if necessary.

I buy a lot of guitar/amp stuff from Jack Gretz’ Northeast Music Center. Jack’s a super guy, and it’s a brick-and-mortar store. He’s also got some pro audio stuff.

I’ve shopped for pedals quite a bit at Motor City Guitars, not far from where I live; they have a gigantic selection of high end pedals that always interests me.

Studio gear, such as preamps, higher end mics, etc., I often shop at locally owned Vintage King. VK has shops in LA and Nashville as well. Again, a real place.

Finally, in a pinch I’ll hit my local GC if I need a mic cable, or even a mic, etc. The one near me is very good.

Actually, Berklee merged with the Boston Conservatory, which gave Berklee Dance and theatre programs. New England is still on its own. I'm an Alumnus, graduated in 1975.
Right you are! This aging thing. . .

I live within walking distance of a small mom & mop "music store". From my experience they are using the term very loosly.

They have not ONE time, had what I needed when I needed it. No, I wasn't looking for left handed guitars just really odd things, you know like strap locks, a decent strap, polish, string winders...the list goes on and on and so does the dissapointment. I always give them "first shot" and they have never offered to even order what I asked for...on every visit just to see if they made an effort...nope not once. Makes me sad.

So, in turn about 98% of the money I've spent in the last couple of years has been on the good ol interwebs. I love that the "candy pushers" post pics of the actual guitar that your buying, they always seem to be the first to get the new stuff, and their level of CS should be an industry standard IMHO. However..I really have to shop wisely these days. The ZZ place does up to 18 months zero interest...no revolving high interest credit cards necessary, and being on a strict budget makes this choice a no brainer for me. No, they aren't as professional, the selection isn't as good and it's a crap shoot as far as picking a cool top unless it's a core. The good news is you have 45 days to return it, if it isn't for you.

Bottom line is..I wish it was practical to support my local shop...but the lack of...well, every thing...makes that nearly impossible. It has left me with little to no choice other than give all my money to the company that makes it the easiest to do business with them.

Thanks for all the ideas, suggestions, and personal experiences.

Short version, we had a mini shopping spree this week.

I started out hitting the PRS store for that long sleeve logo tee that I've been Jonesing forever. While there I picked up a camp mug (big fan, used it today, highly recommend) and a bunch of picks. Actually, I tried to restock picks but there weren't any medium available. :(

Then I spent way more time than I wanted to looking for a Custom 20 combo amp. I think I missed the "available in stock" period, so Reverb is about to be my best bet. I'll probably finish that up over the weekend.

Lastly I put in a decent order @ Sweetwater. I'd been eyeing the Marshall Origin 20 to replace the DSL15 that I gave away a bit ago, so that made the list. Then I have a MIM Strat I picked up as a project to make a surf strat, so I picked up a SD PuP set. Ordered the PRS picks from them, but they're also on backorder there too!!

Good to hear you have found some of the stuff you wanted @DougUSMC

It’s just a matter of shopping around!

I found a 5w valve amp for my pops-in-law for an absolute steal from dv247.com, an on-line store that also have outlets in Germany and London. They mailed the amp to me and it arrived in two days!

Whether it came from either store that’s pretty good going as it would’ve had to travel at least 500 miles by courier.

Service like that is very acceptable!

Back