Where do you get cheap tools for working on guitars?

Guitar-specific tools tend to be more expensive because it's a small, specialized market. Ones that are more multi-purpose like the video shows can be had for cheaper. Specialized things like fret crowning files etc. make the job easier but they are pricey.

My kids always utilize birthdays and Christmas to get stuff they want/need, and aren't above putting together lists (like for a kit of guitar-specific tools) and shopping it around to relatives to go in together on to split the cost.

I love seeing my kids passionate about something, and supporting their dreams is one of the most rewarding things I can thing of.

Yet when I ask genuine questions, I'm not taken seriously due to my age. Yet your "guidance" doesn't help some days.......
I'm hoping this comes across as I genuinely mean it, and not interpreted in any other way... Pretty much everyone on this forum is an adult. And adult conversation is very different to teen conversation in that with life's experiences, adult conversations tend to ebb and flow in different directions, and probably don't stay on the original topic for long. A conversation doesn't need to end because a question has been answered - it evolves based on the other ideas put forward by the participants in the conversations. Teen conversations (I have 2 teenagers) tend to be a lot more linear, especially when conducted through texting or other social media. Conversational skill and social nuances do not tend to translate well through a smartphone. So, I don't think you should question the style or content of anyone's comments on this forum - this is how threads (conversations) have always worked here, based on the member community and general demographics. I probably speak for most members here, but we wouldn't want it to change either.

Yet when I ask genuine questions, I'm not taken seriously due to my age. Yet your "guidance" doesn't help some days.......

We tried to answer you seriously on a couple of the questions, and the “real” answers didn’t get much traction with you. Asking strangers for life advice is something that anyone would approach with some apprehension. I even quoted you a statistic that said well over half of the people in college between the ages of 18-23 change their mind about their career, and change their major... KNOWING it will add tens of thousands of dollars in additional student loan debt. But they are that serious about changing from what they wanted when they were 18.

You’ve asked more than once, how to personally contact the owner of a multi-milllion dollar company... with no malice of any kind, I say, that’s hard to take seriously.

All that said, nobody is picking on your because of your age.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that you should stop projecting your own issues onto this young guy. You want to be helpful to him? Provide straight-forward answers to his questions. You want to provide questionable guidance about life? You have to be one of his parents or someone that they trust. Boundaries matter and should be respected.

Thanks for your response. You clearly see my past experience as a young man myself. Perhaps my concern stemmed from the young man's inexperience, and our adult tendencies to make jokes because it is what we did when we were growing up ourselves. Because I went through school oblivious to social graces myself, it made for a lot of faux pas and ineptitude. You'll forgive me for trying to deter his inexperience with assertive direction. I just didn't want the kid to feel what I did as I grew up. And perhaps why I was trying to gain his trust.

My hope is that as adults we'll respect his wishes to strive to answer his questions as best possible, but also be able to make jokes along the way, because this is how we all learn to socialize and gain experience in real life.

Anyway, will be stepping back a little so you folks can chat and enjoy yourselves. I'll be here in spirit, but will observe for a while and comment when necessary.

I have already looked at StewMac and a notched straight edge is like 100 dollars. I know these are meant specifically for guitars but where do you find tools in general for guitars and not blow the bank? Thank you!
I have bought quite a few guitar specific tools, mostly from StewMac. I have found that there are work-arounds for some jobs and you can make some jigs based on other’s designs, but for the most part it is easiest to get good results from the tools designed for the job. Cheap tools often result in cheap results. I don’t know how many people I have heard express regret from purchasing tools from discount suppliers. I know it sucks, but patiently waiting for sales and clearance items to come up or finding used items is about the only way to get what you need for less than full retail price.
I used to use generic needle files for nut slots. When I bought the file set from StewMac, I wished I had gotten them earlier. Such a better result. Luthiers Mercantile is another good source of supplies. I have never done it, but I have heard it suggested to ask your dentist if they have old pics, scrapers, or files they can part with. Maybe some of the dentists that allegedly make up the bulk of the PRS community can respond to that nugget of advice.

I have bought quite a few guitar specific tools, mostly from StewMac. I have found that there are work-arounds for some jobs and you can make some jigs based on other’s designs, but for the most part it is easiest to get good results from the tools designed for the job. Cheap tools often result in cheap results. I don’t know how many people I have heard express regret from purchasing tools from discount suppliers. I know it sucks, but patiently waiting for sales and clearance items to come up or finding used items is about the only way to get what you need for less than full retail price.
I used to use generic needle files for nut slots. When I bought the file set from StewMac, I wished I had gotten them earlier. Such a better result. Luthiers Mercantile is another good source of supplies. I have never done it, but I have heard it suggested to ask your dentist if they have old pics, scrapers, or files they can part with. Maybe some of the dentists that allegedly make up the bulk of the PRS community can respond to that nugget of advice.

Thanks for the Luthiers Mercantile reference.

Back