Where do you get cheap tools for working on guitars?

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
I have already looked at StewMac and a notched straight edge is like 100 dollars. I know these are meant specifically for guitars but where do you find tools in general for guitars and not blow the bank? Thank you!

First off, take cheap out of the equation. Get decent tools, and do the jobs right. I have found many great tools at yard sales for a buck or two...just get good tools.
Accuracy, thats what my dad tells me, accuracy and neatness. He applies this to math but I should have thought about getting something accurate that will make the job decent at least.

I don’t know the answer, but I am a strong advocate of buying quality tools. I replaced cheap tools often enough that I concluded it isn’t worth the frustration. Financially, it might be a wash in the long run buying one good tool rather than 3 or 4 crap ones.
Are there any kits for like general setup that include like notched straight edges, rulers (machinist) and the general run of the mill gear for working on guitars out there?

First off, take cheap out of the equation. Get decent tools, and do the jobs right. I have found many great tools at yard sales for a buck or two...just get good tools.

I don’t know the answer, but I am a strong advocate of buying quality tools. I replaced cheap tools often enough that I concluded it isn’t worth the frustration. Financially, it might be a wash in the long run buying one good tool rather than 3 or 4 crap ones.

These guys have it right!

These guys have it right!

I also concur...buy them one piece at a time if you have to. Odds are you'll only ever have to buy that particular tool once. You'll be supprized how quickly you'll have a nice set with everything you'll ever need.

Most large home improvement stores have quality machinists' rules that aren't that expensive. Notched ones are a different breed. Might need to check amazon and use your discernment as to what materials went into the tool.

Your Dad knows what he's speaking about...accurate and neat are many good builder's mantras. And no, it's not about the heckler in the crowd...more accurately if you're glad you've got a Dad who knows what he's speaking about. :)

Most large home improvement stores have quality machinists' rules that aren't that expensive. Notched ones are a different breed. Might need to check amazon and use your discernment as to what materials went into the tool.

Your Dad knows what he's speaking about...accurate and neat are many good builder's mantras. And no, it's not about the heckler in the crowd...more accurately if you're glad you've got a Dad who knows what he's speaking about. :)
My dad rebuilt are whole deck by himself so I think he knows what he's doing.

My dad rebuilt are whole deck by himself so I think he knows what he's doing.

TBH, I worry about you, likely as your Dad does.

I'm concerned that you have these high hopes about expensive gear and a future career path...the only way you'll ever finance such an expensive lifestyle is to attend medical or dental school, or become a senior law attorney. All of that requires 12 years of college, and endless hours of work. Are you prepared to give your life away in order to slave for your employer so as to pursue a lavish lifestyle?

Please. Many young people these days have the same hopes you do of making it big and earning sick amounts of money in the process.

I implore you. Please remove your head from the clouds and realize that less than 1% of the world's population live with the fabulous wealth that you aspire to. The remainder of us live more modestly, and typically need to budget our earnings so as to finance luxury items. Yes, we dream of owning luxury items, but we do not dwell on them. If we did dwell, we would find some way, either legally or illegally, of obtaining said item. Please note that a good majority of what is advertised in magazines, on TV, or the internet, is designed to create a desire in you for material goods, until you decide that your "want" becomes a "need." What you need is food, shelter, clothing and a heat source. Luxury items such as vintage Strats or LPs, heck even a new core 594 are only wants that will not help you survive.

When people realize that often times their needs are fulfilled, they want more because they are not satisfied (or thankful) for what they already have. They demand, instead of ask. It's understandable you'd protest if your needs are not being met. If you're just wanting more, why?

Please excuse my rant. I had to deal with an irate neighbor today who asked to borrow a tool from me to clean off her roof of leaves. I asked her if she'd already OK'd this with apartment management. She said she had, and when could she borrow the tool. After calling management myself and verifying her story, the handyman said to not lend her the tool because her climbing up on a ladder is an insurance liability. The handyman said he'd take care of the problem. Long story short, the neighbor is PO'd at my calling management (not that the neighbor had been caught lying) and that I even cared about her getting hurt up on the ladder. Some people you just don't want to deal with...

I'm concerned that you have these high hopes about expensive gear and a future career path...the only way you'll ever finance such an expensive lifestyle is to attend medical or dental school, or become a senior law attorney. All of that requires 12 years of college, and endless hours of work. Are you prepared to give your life away in order to slave for your employer so as to pursue a lavish lifestyle?

Please. Many young people these days have the same hopes you do of making it big and earning sick amounts of money in the process.

I implore you. Please remove your head from the clouds and realize that less than 1% of the world's population live with the fabulous wealth that you aspire to. The remainder of us live more modestly, and typically need to budget our earnings so as to finance luxury items. Yes, we dream of owning luxury items, but we do not dwell on them. If we did dwell, we would find some way, either legally or illegally, of obtaining said item. Please note that a good majority of what is advertised in magazines, on TV, or the internet, is designed to create a desire in you for material goods, until you decide that your "want" becomes a "need." What you need is food, shelter, clothing and a heat source. Luxury items such as vintage Strats or LPs, heck even a new core 594 are only wants that will not help you survive.

When people realize that often times their needs are fulfilled, they want more because they are not satisfied (or thankful) for what they already have. They demand, instead of ask. It's understandable you'd protest if your needs are not being met. If you're just wanting more, why?

Please excuse my rant. I had to deal with an irate neighbor today who asked to borrow a tool from me to clean off her roof of leaves. I asked her if she'd already OK'd this with apartment management. She said she had, and when could she borrow the tool. After calling management myself and verifying her story, the handyman said to not lend her the tool because her climbing up on a ladder is an insurance liability. The handyman said he'd take care of the problem. Long story short, the neighbor is PO'd at my calling management (not that the neighbor had been caught lying) and that I even cared about her getting hurt up on the ladder. Some people you just don't want to deal with...
I’m sure this is well intended, but I strongly disagree with the advice.

Dreams are in the clouds and having them is an essential part of having a satisfying life.

You don’t need the “fabulous wealth” to be able to have all the nice gear you can make use of. Your list of professions that can generate enough income to afford good gear is at best outdated.

When I started engineering school, I was asked what I aspired to. My answer was “to be recognized as one of the best in my field”. It got an odd look from the counsellor, but none of the 50 or so companies I interviewed with while at university (coop so several jobs) seemed to take issue with it. I believed it was achievable, and because I believed it was achievable I worked for it.

How could I have expected an employer to believe in me if I didn’t believe in myself?

I did shift direction from time to time, but I did not give up on myself. Ever. Dream big and then work for it.

I’m sure this is well intended, but I strongly disagree with the advice.

Dreams are in the clouds and having them is an essential part of having a satisfying life.

You don’t need the “fabulous wealth” to be able to have all the nice gear you can make use of. Your list of professions that can generate enough income to afford good gear is at best outdated.

When I started engineering school, I was asked what I aspired to. My answer was “to be recognized as one of the best in my field”. It got an odd look from the counsellor, but none of the 50 or so companies I interviewed with while at university (coop so several jobs) seemed to take issue with it. I believed it was achievable, and because I believed it was achievable I worked for it.

How could I have expected an employer to believe in me if I didn’t believe in myself?

I did shift direction from time to time, but I did not give up on myself. Ever. Dream big and then work for it.

My feeling that the boy was dreaming big was not in question; many of us wish we had more guitars, but many are equally content with what we already have.

I just didn't want the boy thinking with a mind to materialism. Hopefully, I was thinking to encourage the boy to save his money for important things for when he grows older (car, apartment rent, girlfriend, etc). My feeling is that he's likely doing what he should just now, getting ready for bed and a good night's sleep.

This is all just 2 cents, but unless you have disposable income and are part of the upper-middle class, you may find it difficult to feed your guitar-buying habit. Sure, you'll own several, but reality sinks in when you can't afford the habit anymore. Then what? Sell your car? Ditch the girlfriend? Move back in with your parents?

At least you'll be surrounded by your guitars. I'm not sure that's really a viable solution.

Learn to build your tools that you need. Exercise your ingenuity. Then when you decide you need to buy a tool, you will do so from knowledge.

My feeling that the boy was dreaming big was not in question; many of us wish we had more guitars, but many are equally content with what we already have.

I just didn't want the boy thinking with a mind to materialism. Hopefully, I was thinking to encourage the boy to save his money for important things for when he grows older (car, apartment rent, girlfriend, etc). My feeling is that he's likely doing what he should just now, getting ready for bed and a good night's sleep.

This is all just 2 cents, but unless you have disposable income and are part of the upper-middle class, you may find it difficult to feed your guitar-buying habit. Sure, you'll own several, but reality sinks in when you can't afford the habit anymore. Then what? Sell your car? Ditch the girlfriend? Move back in with your parents?

At least you'll be surrounded by your guitars. I'm not sure that's really a viable solution.

You do realize THAT HE WAS ASKING ABOUT TOOLS? :rolleyes:

Learn to build your tools that you need. Exercise your ingenuity. Then when you decide you need to buy a tool, you will do so from knowledge.

A notched straight edge is a good example of this. Get a good straight edge at a hardware store, and put the notches in yourself. Super easy to do. No need to spend much.

I agree that you should stop projecting your own issues onto this young guy. You want to be helpful to him? Provide straight-forward answers to his questions. You want to provide questionable guidance about life? You have to be one of his parents or someone that they trust. Boundaries matter and should be respected.

Back