Where do I put this energy?

My daughter and I both tend to respond by getting on our bikes and riding our legs off - hard to do with a little kid strapped to your back.

Rerun disagrees.

RerunVanPelt.jpg

You did the decent thing. Be glad that you made a big difference to that girls life. That was the important job done right there.

The lingering residual anger will not help anybody. The attacker, however offensive to you/us, is not your personal responsibility. At least not anymore now that the ordeal is over. Hopefully you can regain some composure after a couple of days.
Good luck man :)

A nice cup of tea is a never a bad idea

Its good that you and yours were there for her, poor girl

You're a good man.

As Veinbuster said, I find that going for a bike ride is a great way to clear my head. Of course, riding in the city can get you more riled up. So head to the hills, or go mountain biking - does wonders for the soul.

And if you don't have a bike, take your kid's tricycle and ride around on that - at least it will make others in the neighborhood smile. :)

Last edited:
Serge, sounds like you got that incredibly hopped-up thing I got one time when I helped break up a fight in the street in Ottawa. I was there for a business conference, on my way across town to the open-bar social and this altercation broke out right near me. About the time the big guy was starting to pound the little guy's head against the asphalt, I was all "nah. this ain't gonna happen anymore." So I and some other guys broke it up. And as I was walking away, I realized I was vibrating, at the same time I was thinking "WTF did I just do? In a foreign country?" You know you've done the right thing, but all that stuff just goes through your head as you question it all, amirite..? I shook continuously for the next three or so hours. It is such a weird experience.

Yeah! I was all hyped up for a few hours for sure!

It’s a weird feeling.

Thanks for the well wishes and support, guys.

I honestly feel stupid being affected by it or even talking about how I feel.. I mean, like I said, nothing happened to me. All I did was walk across the street and put my 6’1” 210 pound barrel-chested-pointy-moob-man body between these two kids. I wasn’t assaulted or anything, I was just there and a little riled up about it afterwards.

I’m just mad disappointed in the dude, and feel awful for the girl and her single mom having to deal with this stuff. I saw them take off for the evening, didn’t even feel safe in their own home. It’s days like that that I’m reminded how lucky I am to have been born a guy. Sh!t like that never happens to me.

Thanks for the well wishes and support, guys.

I honestly feel stupid being affected by it or even talking about how I feel.. I mean, like I said, nothing happened to me. All I did was walk across the street and put my 6’1” 210 pound barrel-chested-pointy-moob-man body between these two kids. I wasn’t assaulted or anything, I was just there and a little riled up about it afterwards.

I’m just mad disappointed in the dude, and feel awful for the girl and her single mom having to deal with this stuff. I saw them take off for the evening, didn’t even feel safe in their own home. It’s days like that that I’m reminded how lucky I am to have been born a guy. Sh!t like that never happens to me.

Serg,

Don't be surprised if the girl and her Mom thank you for your actions, either by writing a card or letter, or doing something in appreciation. Hopefully, they will, if they know how to display appreciation. Don't expect it, but they might.

You did an honorable thing, many don't get involved, glad it wasn't worse and got violent. He could have had a weapon or you could have gotten in trouble with the law. It could have been a lot worse.

As for the negative vibrations going on, the only thing to do is release. Live, breath, get back into your rhythm ................... just stay away from the heavy bag. I used to be a welterweight and bag work does hell on guitar fingers.

I basically put myself in between a neighbor kid (college aged I think) and her sexual assaulter today.

I took her into the house until the cops came, told her she’s always safe here, and did everything I think was right but... I still feel... I dunno, angry and helpless I guess.

I mean, I’d play some guitar and write a song but... writing a smooth R&B jam about double castrations doesn’t seem like a good idea...And my HOA frowns upon digging tiger pits in my front lawn.

What should I do?
You reacted to an angry situation with compassion. My hat is off to you.

You did good! The most important thing is it all worked out right. I can relate to your feelings. I once walked up on two hookers in a hotel lobby stealing jewelry from a drunk guest. LIke you I jumped in and luckily everything disbanded. But I know the weird feelings after.

Back