Where did the term ‘Core’ come from ?

Wailing

Hi Folks

You may think this is the daftest question, but where did the ‘Core’ term originate? and does my Brent Mason signature guitar qualify as ‘Core’?

Keep on keeping on.... Wailing

Also, PRS did list the Brett Mason model as a “Core ‘Signature’ ” on its web page in 2019.

So I guess 'Core' is a term that was created by the PRS team..... was there a Before Core ?? BC

Time isn't holding up, Time isn't after us, Same as it ever was, Same as it ever was, Same as it ever was, Same as it ever was

It can get confusing. There’s also a “bolt on” designation, mostly for the CE and Silver Sky (although there are others from time to time), that are not in the “Core” series but are definitely ongoing staples of the line.

I don’t think PRS really puts that much stock in labels and specifications, as they change them anytime they think there’s a better way. As I said, it can get confusing, but it seems to align with their concept of continuous evolving and improving... although it will take an encyclopedia at some point to document it all.

Think “costs more than SE, S2, and bolt on, but less than Private Stock” and you’ll likely have it.

Thanks folks... I have a much better understanding now... enjoy the remainder of the Xmas frolics

core
/kôr/

noun
  • 2.the central or most important part of something.
Yes, I first heard it as a young child. Mamma gave me an apple and said "don't eat the core." "What's the core, mamma?" And my mother, as she so often did, replied lovingly "it's the central or most important part of something." Of course, I said "but mamma, if it's the most important part, why can't I eat it?" Mamma said "cuz mamma said so." I nibbled around on the apple until she had finished hers and I saw what part not to eat.

Then I gave the core to my little brother and said "here, I saved the most important part for you."

Core came from one of the British musicians who Paul courted early on (it was not Bernie Marsden, contrary to urban legend).

As the story goes, Paul did his usual bit to meet the guy at soundcheck, and when he opened the case, the rock gent in question was heard to exclaim, "Corr, that's a bleedin' beauty, innit guv'nor! Slap a strap on that and Bob's your uncle!!!"

Paul just changed the spelling.

Yes, I first heard it as a young child. Mamma gave me an apple and said "don't eat the core." "What's the core, mamma?" And my mother, as she so often did, replied lovingly "it's the central or most important part of something." Of course, I said "but mamma, if it's the most important part, why can't I eat it?" Mamma said "cuz mamma said so." I nibbled around on the apple until she had finished hers and I saw what part not to eat.

Then I gave the core to my little brother and said "here, I saved the most important part for you."

Plus...core sounds much better than say a "pit". Can you imagine the "Pit Line" of PRS Guitars?

My mind wanders...

BUT while we're at it, would a Silver Sky also be a core? I know they officially group them with the "bolt ons" in the catalogue, but I've heard A LOT of people refer to them as a "Core"? I consider them bolt-ons just because I haven't actually owned a core yet. It gives me something to strive for. ;)

Last edited:
Back