Where did the false "Pre Factory" claim start?

Whenever I see "pre-factory" I can't help imagine cavemen pounding on a log with a big rock. Or in this case, a young PRSh working in a dusty dirty garage trying to solder pickups to the pots. Or sanding a neck smooth. So my question would be how many guitars were made this way before opening factory #1?

Whenever I see "pre-factory" I can't help imagine cavemen pounding on a log with a big rock. Or in this case, a young PRSh working in a dusty dirty garage trying to solder pickups to the pots. Or sanding a neck smooth. So my question would be how many guitars were made this way before opening factory #1?

(Jeopardy format.)
What is 200 guitars per month?

I' One day (even before I even knew who he was) Jack Higginbotham asked me something like "Hey, what do you think of the name 'West Street East'?" (they were apparently trying to decide what to name the store) and I said "I have no idea what that is" and "It scares me".

I never cared for the name of the store, it sounds like a clever inside joke that only a handful of people will understand.

It was Fiona.

JjXJAeY.jpg

Most definitely an ever-present aftershock of the early days of the electric guitar industry. There’s a mentality that builders “get it right” when they first create their instrument, and then it gets watered down by necessary compromises made for mass production, new OSHA regs, unavailability of original hardware, and lack of human touch.

Personally, give me a new PRS model, any day. There’s some legitimacy to the claims of superiority for 50’s and 60’s Gibson guitars and Fender guitars and amps, on a case by case basis for each instrument, there was lots of inconsistency, but the methods of PRS production have clearly aimed to increase consistency and overall quality, tone, etc.

The pre-whatever stuff only has added value as a historical specimen, IMO, if you’re after a superior instrument, there’s no reason you can’t get it from a brand new guitar.

I was just looking at a private stock PRS on Reverb (not that I can afford it) and on the PRS spec sheet they use the term pre-factory on the sheet.

Top wood: Quilted maple with a pre-factory top carve and lower horn scoop

I was curious what the difference was between a pre-factory top carve and today's carve and I found this thread lol

Last edited:
Back