Where can I connect headphones in this rig?

FunkyFreeman

Moo Panuwat
I've just got a 20th Singlecut:

IMG1552_rzd840p_zpsf07151ff.jpg

...and doing research of what to be included in my rig. I found that the Orange Dark Terror/Jim Root Terror + Orange PPC112 cab + TC Flashback Delay + TC Hall of Fame Reverb. This setup seem perfect for me :rock: because I've been an Orange amp fan and been dreaming to get all-tube, hi-gain head in a budget.

The problem is that I live in an apartment where I have to be quiet during the nighttime (the daytime is OK for practicing at moderate volume, but that's possible only on weekend). I want to practice in the night using headphones but my planned rig seem not possible for headphones connection anywhere:( . What can I do?

Thank you for your kind advises.

Congrats on the new guitar.

Two of my small amps have a headphones jack.
One of the Fender Mustang One, and the other is the Orange Micro Terror.

However I do not use the headphones on them, I bought these headphones which have an amp built in, and sound is amazing.
Vox amPhone Lead
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPhoneLead/

Do not know if you want to spend more money on separate headphones, but they are great for jamming when you cannot turn an amp up.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's tough to run a tube amp through headphones without adding a lot of gear. It also usually entails taking your signal off the output of the amp excluding the cab from the captured signal chain, which is a big part of the overall sound. You may be best off looking for a solution designed to go direct to headphones. Lots of good multi fx and processors out there that strive to do what you're looking for.

For example, the Boss Micro BR or the Tascam Guitar Trainer are both able to be obtained for $100 or so on ebay used. They will both accept headphones and they are both loaded with all the effects you could possibly need. They can record, dub, loop and add layers...or they can just be used to listen on your headphones.

guitar > device

Device > headphones

And you're all set. The learning curve can be a bit steep if you want to learn how to use them as virtual studios with lots of dubbing, overlays, and various effects. If you just want to listen through the headphones, it's basically "plug and play".

I use Amplitube on my laptop. The amps are really only for rehearsal or gigs, or for occasionally annoying my wife and daughter at home.

Amplitube sounds amazing through a good set of headphones. I used a POD 2.0 for a decade and Amplitube blows it away. You could download an Orange model and rock out.

If you run an iOS device there are a number of guitar apps out there that are priced very reasonably. Input devices for this type of thing start around $20. I'm not sure what they make for other mobile platforms. You could always go the computer route.

I use JamUp pro on my iPhone for this. They have an Orange amp that sounds great in one of their expansion packs. Or you might try the Orange micro terror head - they sound pretty great and are inexpensive.

Fabulous 20th SC!

I use Amplitube on my laptop. The amps are really only for rehearsal or gigs, or for occasionally annoying my wife and daughter at home.

Amplitube sounds amazing through a good set of headphones. I used a POD 2.0 for a decade and Amplitube blows it away. You could download an Orange model and rock out.

I use amplitube on my iPad via the iRig Stomp pedal. You can just add this to your pedal board and bypass the amp if you want to use headphones.

Here is another option, Santa brought me one for Christmas.
It is all self contained, no amp or PC needed, but you can hook it to your PC via USB too.
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1241

Has over 300 backing tracks that loop on it, and you can also put on your own MP3s and strip out the lead guitar parts and then play lead back over the rest.
You can record with it, then save and play back on the device, or upload your recordings to YouTube or Sound Cloud.

It emulates different amps and also has built in effects like chorus, flanger, delay, fuzz, etc.
And you can go further into the amp settings and tweak the treble, bass, mid, presence, gain, all that stuff.

I like jamming along with it, a lot of fun.
jacks for RCA out to a stereo, amp, TV, etc, and also inputs for your iPod or phone to play back the MP3s, and also a headphone jack to play silently.

Guitar World also did a review of it in their April issue.

There are quite a few vids on the 'Tube of it.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...5.0.189.825.7j1.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.G8MOgaWDOhA

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem...but wanted a tube amp, need a headphone jack...not to wait sleeping babies. I wanted a tube amplifier, not many options, Blackstar HT1 or 5 both have emulated outputs for headphones. but happened to play their new ID series amps. Just ordered an ID 30. Fits my needs best and sounds close to a tube amp, not a modeled amp. Check it out.

I've yet to find a tube amp with an emulated phone out that sounds as good as the newest modelers line the POD or Amplitube rigs. Replacing the full sized speaker and cab with headphones needs a little modeling mojo to make it sound right to me.

Thanks a lot for all sincere suggests! It took me so long. Sorry for late reply.

I still got another $1000 for the rig but I’m not sure whether it’s too small amount for buying an all-tube head with cab plus headphone so I said ‘in a budget’. It’s not so limited to something like $100-200 so I apologize for causing merciful people here misinterpreted.

Number of solutions suggested; using an alternate amp, a multi effect, a multi-track recorder, and computer apps. I appreciated these helpful choices and save this page as my own handbook. However I’d love to hear the straightforward sound from guitar-tube amp-cab signal chain so I continue searching for more ways out.

Recently, I’ve found some kind of devices called ‘speaker simulator’.
PalmerPDI-03speakersim_zps85bba30f.jpg

See more details here: http://www.palmergear.com/pdi03.shtml
It receives the signal directly from amp (mostly tube type), converts the analog signal to digital and feed the signal via either XLR or unbalanced ¼” output. This seems to make headphones connection from a tube head possible. However it looks pricey as my real purpose is just ‘listening my tube head sound through headphones’ not ‘studio recording’ hence I keep looking for more solutions.

In fact, the Hughes & Kettner Tube Meister series have this precious feature built-in (H&K called it ‘Red Box’). Unfortunately, to my ears, this H&K series’ top gain sound is weaker than the Dark Terror.

How about the speaker simulator idea?:dontknow:

Hope you guys have a nice weekend.

Here are some more of my PRS. It's board looks like Brazillian but the hang tags doesn't say anything about that, but it feels great for my fingers anyway.

IMG1553_zps8093ee4c.jpg

IMG1554_zpsbc6cc77c.jpg

IMG1555_zps57863d21.jpg

IMG1556_zps31f480c7.jpg

Last edited:
Back