When you're fav artists switch brands

solacematt

I'm just curious if this bugs anyone else. Please, no rock throwing at me for still liking this band, yes, I know they have way to many sexually charged songs now, but it doesn't mean ya can't still enjoy all the other songs.
So I went to see Nickelback last night, who, if you've never seen them, put on a friggin great arena rock show. You can call the band rock stars just for the kind of great show they put on. The music is tight, solid, and a fun time, and that's what a great rock show should be. Anyways, the bands vocalist Chad Kroeger used to be a hardcore PRS guy. Mainly singlecuts and a few Custom 24's. In 2009 he started using two Gibson's; a custom made to resemble the cover of their Dark Horse album at the time, and an Explorer, but the rest of the set mainly consisted of PRS. Last night he only used a PRS twice, a blue Custom 24 for "How You Remind Me" and and HBII for "Far Away." The rest of the set was all LP's and a Custom 7-string Explorer. I honestly think the two songs he used PRS on sounded the best. Much cleaner sounding with more cut.
So I was wondering, does it annoy anyone else when some of their favorite artists move from PRS to Gibson? To me, it's not really the fact that they switch over, it's the fact that I don't feel like Gibson's sound as good for their music, or maybe I'm just used to hearing their PRS sound and can't get used to the Gibson sound in their music.
Three Days Grace did it too with their latest album, Life Starst Now and the touring for it and, I just think the guitars sound a bit muddier than when PRS was used. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

solacematt said:
So I was wondering, does it annoy anyone else when some of their favorite artists move from PRS to Gibson? To me, it's not really the fact that they switch over, it's the fact that I don't feel like Gibson's sound as good for their music, or maybe I'm just used to hearing their PRS sound and can't get used to the Gibson sound in their music.
Three Days Grace did it too with their latest album, Life Starst Now and the touring for it and, I just think the guitars
sound a bit muddier than when PRS was used. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

No bashing at all, but I agree with you. It's upsetting because its usually about the almighty dollar, and not better equipment. As Paul says, guitars are tools to get your job done and if someone switches to something less superior, it's obvious what its over.

So basically when a smaller company like PRS goes out and gives all they can to someone like Chad, who in the end switches to Gibson after a decade of support, it's a bummer.

Dont even get me started on the fact that he has some gorgeous PRS-7 strings stored at home now :evil:

It does not bother me one bit, but I do have more respect for an endorsement/endorser when it lasts.
At least Chad never had a signature guitar, Dave Mustaine is on his third company, Kirk has two models with different companies, Clapton, the Dude from Disturbed, Marty Friedman, EVH, Paul Stanley, Ace, Dimebag,etc. etc. all have multiple "signature" guitars by a different company. If my "signature" changed that much I could be in jail for fraud! :lol:

I get it from the players stand point, it is extra $ and cross promotion, and I get it from the company's stand point as well, because it must sell some units, but I don't get it from a consumers point of view.

I hate the game, not the (guitar) player, not even Chad.

sergiodeblanc said:
It does not bother me one bit, but I do have more respect for an endorsement/endorser when it lasts.
At least Chad never had a signature guitar, Dave Mustaine is on his third company, Kirk has two models with different companies, Clapton, the Dude from Disturbed, Marty Friedman, EVH, Paul Stanley, Ace, Dimebag,etc. etc. all have multiple "signature" guitars by a different company. If my "signature" changed that much I could be in jail for fraud! :lol:

I get it from the players stand point, it is extra $ and cross promotion, and I get it from the company's stand point as well, because it must sell some units, but I don't get it from a consumers point of view.

I hate the game, not the (guitar) player, not even Chad.

I can't say that I get too upset about such things because I think there are many more important subjects in the world to be concerned with. But I admit that it tarnishes the credibility of the artist to me if they constantly change brands of guitars, amps, etc. Two other name players who are (in)famous for "brand hopping" are Steve Lukather and Elliot Easton.

One aspect of endorsement deals that I have a problem with are the amounts of free gear some artists receive from companies. I'm in a position myself where I'll probably never be able to afford a Private Stock instrument. (Read 'Custom Shop' for some manufacturers). That's my lot in life and that's okay, but when I see certain artists getting more freebies than they could ever use and not even seeming appreciative about it, that irks me. It seems that some artists reach a certain level of success and 'forget' what it was like to struggle and skrimp and save just to be able to buy strings, not to mention an instrument itself! How soon they forget, you know? Fortunately, not all artists fall into this category.

If I've offended anyone with these general statements, please forgive me. No flame intended. We all know there are plenty of good guys and girls in the music world, and they're the ones who give us hope.

Goldtop

Despite the popularity of artist endorsements, the fact is that for anyone to slavishly buy a particular brand of instrument because some famous person says it's cool, is just another weird by-product of our cultural attachment to fame-fortune worship.

For hundreds of years, the English have done this with Royal Warrants, that tradesmen who supply goods and services to Britain's monarchs get to put on their goods.

Of course, none of it truly makes a lot of sense. Today's "royalty" are the music and movie stars who get worshipped instead of people with inherited titles.

I realize this stuff is great for people selling things, but for the buyers of goods to be upset because one of these folks they worship changes brands of goods doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's a business deal, folks. Nothing else. No reason to be upset.

LSchefman said:
Despite the popularity of artist endorsements, the fact is that for anyone to slavishly buy a particular brand of instrument because some famous person says it's cool, is just another weird by-product of our cultural attachment to fame-fortune worship.

For hundreds of years, the English have done this with Royal Warrants, that tradesmen who supply goods and services to Britain's monarchs get to put on their goods.

Of course, none of it truly makes a lot of sense. Today's "royalty" are the music and movie stars who get worshipped instead of people with inherited titles.

I realize this stuff is great for people selling things, but for the buyers of goods to be upset because one of these folks they worship changes brands of goods doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's a business deal, folks. Nothing else. No reason to be upset.

You missed the part about how their music just doesn't sound as good huh?

solacematt said:
You missed the part about how their music just doesn't sound as good huh?
Please. Allow me to share just how good they are/were.

Blah, blah, blah "kick the sky"
"drink that sh*t till it's dry."
Blah, blah, blah, "Jim Beam, JD, whatever you need."
Blah, blah, blah. I forget the rest... and...
"fill 'er up, hammer down, grab a cup, bottoms up!"

Those guys are TOTALLY AWESOME. :?

Ok, so sarcasm aside, I admit I'm among the few who think those guys have completely cheesed out. But they are selling millions of records and I'm not. So - good for them.

It didnt bother me when Santana switched from Yamaha to PRS.I guess its all about the music for me :)

Hans said:
Ok, so sarcasm aside, I admit I'm among the few who think those guys have completely cheesed out. But they are selling millions of records and I'm not. So - good for them.
:lol:

solacematt said:
I'm just curious if this bugs anyone else. Please, no rock throwing at me for still liking this band, yes, I know they have way to many sexually charged songs now, but it doesn't mean ya can't still enjoy all the other songs.
So I went to see Nickelback last night, who, if you've never seen them, put on a friggin great arena rock show. You can call the band rock stars just for the kind of great show they put on. The music is tight, solid, and a fun time, and that's what a great rock show should be. Anyways, the bands vocalist Chad Kroeger used to be a hardcore PRS guy. Mainly singlecuts and a few Custom 24's. In 2009 he started using two Gibson's; a custom made to resemble the cover of their Dark Horse album at the time, and an Explorer, but the rest of the set mainly consisted of PRS. Last night he only used a PRS twice, a blue Custom 24 for "How You Remind Me" and and HBII for "Far Away." The rest of the set was all LP's and a Custom 7-string Explorer. I honestly think the two songs he used PRS on sounded the best. Much cleaner sounding with more cut.
Three Days Grace did it too with their latest album, Life Starst Now and the touring for it and, I just think the guitars sound a bit muddier than when PRS was used. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

I could care less what they use or if they switch. It has absolutely nothing to do with me or my music. I switch all the time between different guitars. Why should it be any different for them?

Usually is the other way around. Look at, Santana, Pete Loeffler, or Tremonti who used to be a Gibby guy. Once they got a PRS they never looked back... Loeffler doesn't need a signature model to be a devoted PRS user.

Bands like Incubus and Linkin Park stopped writing good songs when they switched from PRS to Fender in their career.......coincidence? I think not :twisted:

themike said:
Bands like Incubus and Linkin Park stopped writing good songs when they switched from PRS to Fender in their career.......coincidence? I think not :twisted:

Funny how that happened huh? Incubus and Linkin Park definitely did put out their best work when they used PRS. The overall guitar sound was pristine and clear, and live the songs sounded great. As if the instrument willed them in a certain way. That's kind of the point that I was trying to make here.
I admitted that I'm not really a fan of the new Nickelback album, which tonally does sound different/muddier than their previous albums that were recorded with PRS. My post had nothing to do with influencing as a player or what you played, but if it bugged you when a musician switched from using PRS to another brand because it affected the overall sound and tone of their music. How was this tough to get?
When it comes to people talking about music and Nickelback, people can't wait to slam them. Recently an online guitar magazine posted a video going through the bands rigs and the comment section was full of people saying how much Nickelback sucked and no comments about their gear. ::shakes head::

It's worse in sports - you buy someone's jersey, and then he's traded.... Think how you'd feel if you bought a Randy Moss Raiders jersey a few years ago. First he's a bust as a Raider, then he goes to New England and plays great for a few years, and now he's back in the Bay Area, but this time as 49'er. You might as well just burn the jersey...

I follow cycling, and some years ago I got a Gerolsteiner team jersey because Levi Leipheimer was on that team. Next year he changes teams. A year or so after that, Gerolsteiner (basically a bottled water company in Germany) stops sponsoring their team entirely.... I have a Scott bike, and used to root for the Columbia HiStep team partly because the rode Scott bikes. But then they switched to Specialized....

I follow cycling, and some years ago I got a Gerolsteiner team jersey because Levi Leipheimer was on that team. Next year he changes teams. A year or so after that, Gerolsteiner (basically a bottled water company in Germany) stops sponsoring their team entirely.... I have a Scott bike, and used to root for the Columbia HiStep team partly because the rode Scott bikes. But then they switched to Specialized....

You'll never win that game in cycling!

Just get a Hampsten and feel good about it for the rest of time

I think it would make a difference to me if the player had skill or talent that I cared to learn or emulate. Chad from Nickelback is an average at best riff rock player. Catchy songs, not a whole lot of talent or creativity required to play it, so no it doesn't bother me.

Seems to me guys like NickelChad are the exception rather than the rule.

Look at guys like Grissom and Santana, they were/are both instrumental in the development and scope of the PRS brand to a degree. It seems to be about more than money and freebies with those guys. Carlos virtually spawned the SE line and if I am not mistaken, Dave had a lot of input in the McCarty model and of course the DGT..

Maybe that's why Chad went to Gibby, no Sig model for him @ PRS.

Back