When you like an SE more than a core model

Isaac cruz

After a few months with my core 594 I’ve decided to sell it. I actually prefer playing the plain 245 SE to the 594. When I got the 594 I expected it to be much better than the SE, and it is in some ways, such as the attention to detail, finish, components, etc. But at the end of the day, I never got used to the 594’s neck and flat frets (which feel like railroad bumps to me). It does sound better, but not THAT much better to my ears. I actually like the extra punch that the 245’s pickups have a lot. The wide fat neck ln the SE is also a lot more comfortable to my hands.

Such a shame that it wasn’t meant to be. Has this happened to someone else?

20604537_10209838405780843_954054248353538133_n.jpg
I've got an SE Orianthi (basically Custom 24 with some eye candy). Between the Zhangbucker custom wound pickups, the MannMade trem I installed, and the way the guitar plays likes butter, if I had to sell all the expensive ones, that guitar would be first pick as Ole Number 1...

Last edited:
I prefer my S2 standard 22 with dots on the neck and a pickguard and no flame top to every other PRS or guitar for that matter that I own, I bought it used at a steal and Im amazed how much I dig it, my SE Standard 22 is fun to beat the hell out of and I have light strings on it no need for a 10 Top Custom guitar for me....but I wouldn't say no to one...lol

Mmm. My only Core has been quietly hibernating in its case for about 9 months now, while my SE's and S2 slowly rack up the miles. Bernie and ZM have been battling to see which becomes the Starla's backup.

I have a stupidly large guitar collection (120 guitars - including 4 core, 1 S2 and 7 SE's) but to honest out of all of them my Bernie is the one I'll never part with. "She" fits my playing style so well it's like I was destined to own this beauty.

I was never a big fan of SC Guitars...that is until I grabbed a Berine while waiting to get a set-up last year. He had one in for a pickup swap...I was/am smitten:confused:. I ended up with my CR and I love it emensely! The SE 245s in any variation just feels like it belongs in my hands...the thickness and the weight are a killer on this gimped up shoulder of mine...but that wide fat neck just feels like butter! Meh, pain is temporary but tone and playability are eternal. I still long for a Bernie....but the budget police ( wife) watches me like a hawk...no 12th fret pun intended..
;)

Last edited:
I was intending to buy a Yamaha guitar but my shop never had one in stock. PRS wasn't on my radar at all and certainly not a single cut. I tried a Bernie purely at random and was stunned - it felt so good like it had been waiting for me. I've had mine for three years and have since bought an S2 single cut. These are my top two guitars now while my poor Gibsons go largely untouched. The Bernie is an incredible guitar and just unbelievable value.

I have yet to come across an SE that supplants my S2 or Core guitars. However, all three of my S2s EASILY hang with - and sometimes have favor - guitars twice (plus) their cost. Like, for instance - last "big" show I did was opening for Obituary (avatar pic) I could have chosen to take many fancy models (which I use regularly onstage) but I chose an S2 SC Standard. People were going bananas over it, and I was vibing something fierce off the guitar while the crowd was violently reacting in front of the stage.....

Back