When you go Out to practice w Others--What do you take?

Kemper and my Siggy. I figure I can get plenty of mileage out of that and be able to cut through whatever mix there is.

I haven't gigged in a couple years now BUT I am involved in a project that keeps me playing. I'm about to become more involved as I've been asked to help with writing and arranging new material.

So we are getting together in a couple weeks to hash out some new song ideas and I will be taking my prs stuff. It's all I care to play on.

Could be fun........oh hell, it will be fun.

I take my cherry burst CU22

Fender Hot Rod DeVille

and as of recenly my Line 6 HD500x

When folks come over they can bring nothing if they like I have 2 amps and a few guitars, they bring there latest and greatest, When I go to others I bring my latest and greatest or if its a new jam I try and bring something different.

Marshall Origin 20, or modded Blues Jr.
S2 Starla and either a Baja Tele, or Am. Std. Strat.
Mini pedalboard.
Budda Wah.

If I am going to rehearsal with the band, I have my HX Stomp set up with my FRFR cab at our rehearsal space. As far as a guitar? Meh, it usually comes down to whatever is newest or close by as I am getting ready to leave. Often I don't even put them in a bag or case, lol.

If I am going to jam with others, I will bring my Bad Cat Cub IVR 1x12 combo for amplification. For a guitar, I'll often bring something versatile...something that can be a bit of a chameleon...something that won't step on the toes of the Strat or LP player. That is where the Brent Mason has become the weapon of choice. It is a guitar without any personal character, lol - in a good way. The guitar's tone just blends. It's great for those moments where there will be multiple guitar players, or just dense mixes. Plus, it is kind of ugly so no one really pays any attention to it!!!

I play weekly with a band. Mostly just long jams. I almost always bring the CE24. The 85/15s are hot and sound awesome! But they also give great single coil sounds when I need to change my sound for the mix. We have two guitars, bass and drums and sometimes a 3rd guitar player joins so the PRS give some versatility. However sometimes I bring an HSS Strat to mix things up. (but I throw it in the PRS gig bag as that thing is just so convenient!)

I have a Marshall DSL15 head and cab I leave at our normal practice spot and bring a blues Jr if we go somewhere else. (although I'm going to get an ABY I think and bring it to the regular practice spot to try out a wet dry one of these days)

For effects, I wish I had a small board and more pedals so I can make a regular board and travel board and swap pedals between them. But I lug this giant pedal train pro board around with CS12 power supply, a couple of overdrives, a fuzz, delay, a few modulation pedals, a loop switch thingy and a looper pedal. It's too much to bring every time and its heavy! gonna have to figure out a more portable solution.

Back