When you fell in Love...

My story is a long sad-turned-happy story but I will try to keep it as short as possible.

I have several medical issues and am disabled. I was born with several disabilities and have had a pretty rough time. I get very down because of my condition and also because of the pain I'm in (not only emotionally but physically from the orthopedic joint problems I have).

Late in 2006 I was at my lowest point. I had already been in the hospital twice for depression and was on my last lap. I was very close to ending my life when a therapist recommended music as a form of therapy. I wasn't a music lover at all and really didn't care for it. A friend of the family suggested it as well. One day in January 2007 I was in a very bad way. I thought I had no purpose, etc etc so I decided to give the therapist's and friend's suggestion of listening to music a try. So I went through my parents stack of old albums. I literally got to the bottom of the pile. Nothing was doing it for me. Super boring. One of the last albums in the pile was the Eagles' "Hotel California". I put it in, and I kid you not the second that intro started chills went up and down my spine and I literally jumped out of my chair. When it got to the solos, it had lit a fire in me. I suddenly realized I needed to learn to play guitar. I was really especially drawn to the second part of the solo and I later figured out that was none other than Joe Walsh (who I'll talk more about later).

The next week I picked up my old guitar I had (I tried to learn a few years prior but had a nasty teacher and I wasn't a music lover so I quit and put it under the bed), got some new strings put on and a tuner, and I printed some chords off of the internet. The first song I ever learned was "A Horse With No Name". 2 simple chords and I learned those two chords back and forth and that taught me both strumming and chord changes very quickly. I then progressed to other simple 2-3 chord songs and before I knew it I was progressing at rapid rates. I would play 8 hours a day (with lots of breaks of course) because I didn't work because I am disabled. I then happened to be coming home from a Dr appointment one day and I saw this sign on an old familiar building near my hometown that said "Guitars". I thought to myself and told my father I don't remember that being there. So we turned around and sure enough it was a new guitar store. To make a long story short, I befriended the guy, would spend every Saturday in his store jamming in a circle with others. That got me progressing even faster with learning how to play with others. And then the store owner asked me to come to his outdoor jams and we would play for people. That got me used to the whole crowd thing and being in front of people.

I then joined a classic rock and country cover band for a short while, and then left to form my own band. I knew I wanted to do an Eagles tribute band to celebrate the music of the band that without a doubt saved my life and gave me a purpose. I recruited some jamming friends and other local musicians and we played for almost 4 years. It was very successful and by far the best thing I've ever done in my almost 24 years of life. It ended because people were moving away, the store owner closed his store and ended up moving as well, and other members having issues. I then got back into the covers thing and that is what I still to do this day. My knack as a guitarist is reproducing classic recordings in a live environment both the note-for-note reproduction and getting the tone right. I'm the world's biggest gear geek and now have things that interest me and that I love to buy. Unfortunately though it has taken a toll on my bank account. :D

Going back to the Eagles and Joe Walsh, after the discovery of Hotel California, I researched them, got all of their albums, and also discovered Don Henley and Joe Walsh's great solo material and Joe's old band, The James Gang. Joe without a doubt is not only my guitar idol but my hero in general. That guy is the one I look up to the most of any player or person outside my family. I'm also a fan of Don Felder too and really admire his playing but Joe is my favorite. That band is my favorite and that album and song to this day is still my very favorite and that song can still bring me out of a depression/slump quicker than anything. It's very motivating to me to listen to that album as that is the reason I started in the first place. I still get chills when I hear the opening of "Hotel". I was very fortunate to be able to play Joe's parts live in a tribute band for a long while and play the very song that saved my life and made me a guitarist in the first place.

And that is my story. I still thank my lucky stars everyday that I gave music a chance and didn't end my life that day and instead found something that completely changed my life in a matter of minutes.

Last edited:
My story is a long sad-turned-happy story but I will try to keep it as short as possible.

Once again, the "Warm Smell of Colitas, rising up through the air" saves the day!!!

So happy for you and for your turnaround. Just proves what I always tell my depressed patients...if you commit suicide, you will never realize that tomorrow you might find the reason to stay alive. This story provides hope and inspriation to everyone whose been in your shoes. Best wishes from another person who finds "Hotel California" to be just about the most perfect song ever made.

well I don't think my story will compare by far but I will share any how. I am an old "metal head" so of course when I first heard Black Sabbath that was the beginning of a great life with music. After hearing that signature guitar sound I was bugging my parents to get me a guitar and of course my dad says well if you get better grades in school I will buy you one. Naturally that didn't go as planned so me being the hard head that I am and not getting the grades that was required I went and bought a cheap 3/4 size Van Halen copy from Sears with my birthday money. I have been playing ever since and was playing in bands by my late teens and have been a part of some really great experiances and met some really great people because of it.

My Prs story begins with me going into a vintage guitar shop in downtown Frederick, MD in the 90's . I walked in there and saw this black standard 22 with a stoptail and was asking to play it so by the end of it I was walking out of there having set up a payment plan to buy that guitar. I have been playing PRS guitars ever since except for brief stint with some other LP copy guitars and have been selling and trading up ever since.As a matter of fact my budy that I sold the black standard to is still playing it as his #1.

Thank you rugerpc and docbennett!

I'm very glad I found music and that I was able to find something to do with my life that I enjoy and can also affect others with and not feel so hopeless.

Doc - I also think it's a masterpiece as well. Truly a classic.

And that is my story. I still thank my lucky stars everyday that I gave music a chance and didn't end my life that day and instead found something that completely changed my life in a matter of minutes.

That is amazing. My heart, as well as my respect and admiration, goes out to you. It takes a special kind of person to share that with others, and I thank you for doing it.

We have some things in common. I'm disabled too, and I wasn't really sure I was going to post in this thread because I wasn't comfortable with it, but because of you I've changed my mind. I'll get my story together soon and add it to the mix.

Thanks again for being so open and honest. I'm very glad you didn't choose to take the other route with your life.

Goldtop

Led Zep. Stairway & Rock n Roll Started it. Foghat (1st rock concert) sealed the deal & the Kiss live & the Kiss Alive album sent me overboard. EVH only made the obsession worst/better.

I have several medical issues and am disabled. I was born with several disabilities and have had a pretty rough time. I get very down because of my condition and also because of the pain I'm in (not only emotionally but physically from the orthopedic joint problems I have).

Late in 2006 I was at my lowest point. I had already been in the hospital twice for depression and was on my last lap. I was very close to ending my life when a therapist recommended music as a form of therapy. I wasn't a music lover at all and really didn't care for it. A friend of the family suggested it as well. One day in January 2007 I was in a very bad way. I thought I had no purpose, etc etc so I decided to give the therapist's and friend's suggestion of listening to music a try. So I went through my parents stack of old albums. I literally got to the bottom of the pile. Nothing was doing it for me. Super boring. One of the last albums in the pile was the Eagles' "Hotel California". I put it in, and I kid you not the second that intro started chills went up and down my spine and I literally jumped out of my chair. When it got to the solos, it had lit a fire in me. I suddenly realized I needed to learn to play guitar. I was really especially drawn to the second part of the solo and I later figured out that was none other than Joe Walsh (who I'll talk more about later).

The next week I picked up my old guitar I had (I tried to learn a few years prior but had a nasty teacher and I wasn't a music lover so I quit and put it under the bed), got some new strings put on and a tuner, and I printed some chords off of the internet. The first song I ever learned was "A Horse With No Name". 2 simple chords and I learned those two chords back and forth and that taught me both strumming and chord changes very quickly. I then progressed to other simple 2-3 chord songs and before I knew it I was progressing at rapid rates. I would play 8 hours a day (with lots of breaks of course) because I didn't work because I am disabled. I then happened to be coming home from a Dr appointment one day and I saw this sign on an old familiar building near my hometown that said "Guitars". I thought to myself and told my father I don't remember that being there. So we turned around and sure enough it was a new guitar store. To make a long story short, I befriended the guy, would spend every Saturday in his store jamming in a circle with others. That got me progressing even faster with learning how to play with others. And then the store owner asked me to come to his outdoor jams and we would play for people. That got me used to the whole crowd thing and being in front of people.

I then joined a classic rock and country cover band for a short while, and then left to form my own band. I knew I wanted to do an Eagles tribute band to celebrate the music of the band that without a doubt saved my life and gave me a purpose. I recruited some jamming friends and other local musicians and we played for almost 4 years. It was very successful and by far the best thing I've ever done in my almost 24 years of life. It ended because people were moving away, the store owner closed his store and ended up moving as well, and other members having issues. I then got back into the covers thing and that is what I still to do this day. My knack as a guitarist is reproducing classic recordings in a live environment both the note-for-note reproduction and getting the tone right. I'm the world's biggest gear geek and now have things that interest me and that I love to buy. Unfortunately though it has taken a toll on my bank account. :D

Going back to the Eagles and Joe Walsh, after the discovery of Hotel California, I researched them, got all of their albums, and also discovered Don Henley and Joe Walsh's great solo material and Joe's old band, The James Gang. Joe without a doubt is not only my guitar idol but my hero in general. That guy is the one I look up to the most of any player or person outside my family. I'm also a fan of Don Felder too and really admire his playing but Joe is my favorite. That band is my favorite and that album and song to this day is still my very favorite and that song can still bring me out of a depression/slump quicker than anything. It's very motivating to me to listen to that album as that is the reason I started in the first place. I still get chills when I hear the opening of "Hotel". I was very fortunate to be able to play Joe's parts live in a tribute band for a long while and play the very song that saved my life and made me a guitarist in the first place.

What an awesome story!!!!!! That made me smile out loud, thank you for sharing. :) What an inspiration.

And, BTW, Hotel California has a pretty special place in my musical history too......not quite as drastic as yours, but that record means a lot to me also.

OK....I'll admit it. I was hooked around age 8 in the smoke filled car of my cousin's. He said I was too young to join he and his friends, but the contact high was enough to alter my usual am radio "Top 40" music pallet. They had just bought Deep Purple's "Made In Japan" on 8track and overdriven grinding guitar tones made the hair on the back of my neck stand straight UP!! I couldn't get enough!!! Smoke on the Water still has a special place with me....and always will!!! LOL

That is amazing. My heart, as well as my respect and admiration, goes out to you. It takes a special kind of person to share that with others, and I thank you for doing it.

We have some things in common. I'm disabled too, and I wasn't really sure I was going to post in this thread because I wasn't comfortable with it, but because of you I've changed my mind. I'll get my story together soon and add it to the mix.

Thanks again for being so open and honest. I'm very glad you didn't choose to take the other route with your life.

Goldtop

Thank you very much for the kind words. I really appreciate it!

All the best,

-Austin (prsrocker1988)

What an awesome story!!!!!! That made me smile out loud, thank you for sharing. :) What an inspiration.

And, BTW, Hotel California has a pretty special place in my musical history too......not quite as drastic as yours, but that record means a lot to me also.

Thank you!

And yes the Hotel Cali record is very motivational I find and inspiring. No matter if I need a pick-me-up emotionally or inspiration on guitar, I just listen to that album front to back and it works!

Over a thousand new members since the last post, there must be some great stories out there. Let's here them!

1981, my brother and I went to the now non-existent Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati to see Journey. Neal Schon flat out mesmerized me. My parents had a jewelry store, and a jeweler at a Dayton pawn shop did their repair work.
I went there one day to drop some stuff off, and in the front window was a Hondo II Les Paul copy for $80. It was as close to a real Les Paul as my broke butt could ever dream of affording, so I started saving for it.
I had all the money saved when my uncle came home from the Air Force on leave. They all decided to play some cards that night ....for actual cash. I watched for a while, and decided I could play just as well as they could.
I was warned numerous times that if I played and lost, there would be no sympathy for me. I laughed it off and played....and lost every dime I had saved.
A week or so later, I came home from school and the Hondo II was sitting in my room, along with a Gremlin amp. My parents noticed that I didn't complain or pout about losing my cash , so they bought it for me. It was a wretched sounding guitar with an even more wretched sounding amp, but I wish I still had both.

5th grade, my grandmother gave me $20(1,000php in other currency) as a gift for my birthday then went to buy an acoustic guitar. The sales lady gave me a discount, adored that I was buying a guitar on such a young age by myself. No knowledge about tuning, action height, string gauge, as in nothing at all but that was the first thing I did, just buy a guitar. (to add, I did't know that my father also plays guitar since he worked in another country)

MTV 2001... saw My Sacrifice's music video (looked over the tabs in another site, didn't know what the numbers and symbols meant but very persistent on how to read it) and the rest was history... :biggrin: learned about G3 Satch, Vai, Malmsteen and MAB, Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci, Michael Romeo, Buckethead, etc. when I was in college.. better late than never..

Mark Tremonti was my inspiration, my guitar hero.. the reason why I still continue my passion for music eventhough I just play for one reason, I love to play the guitar.. :proud:

I was five and heard Black Sabbath.
Music became my everything.
I picked up the guitar in my early teens.
Not sure what took so long.

I was playing also sax and a little bit of keys in my junior high jazz band about 1979 or so... Turns out the guys in the rhythm section played together as a rock band, too. When the band teacher wasn't around, they'd bust into Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and Deep Purple songs. I didn't know at the time what the songs were, but I was hooked! That same year I got introduced to VH1, 2112, and Scorps' Animal Magnetism album. When Back in Black came out, I finally heard something I thought I could try to play, so I dug my brother's abandoned Yamaha classical guitar out of the closet, and my fate was sealed!

Back