When you drank the PRS kool aid, did your favor ever waiver with any other guitar manufacturer?

I started on a Tele, and then went to Gibson. I fought keeping them in tune for about 30 years. FInally, in an act of desperation, O bought an SE Singlecut P90 to use as a backup when doing theater. I sold almost all my other guitars, over time. I kept a 1992 Guild X170, and a 2008 Loar L-550, both big body archtops. Other than that, it's all PRS. I hear the other brands as naturally playing less in tune because of the scale lengths. If it's a 25" scale, I would briefly consider another brand.

I dabbled with PRS a bit after having been a life long Les Paul fan. My first PRS was a McCarty because it was simple, like a Les Paul and very affordable on the used market. But it wasn't awesome enough to completely convert me and I went through a period of time without any PRSi at all. Time went on and eventually my taste matured, and I also endured a lower back injury which had a profound effect on my. That injury forever changed the way I moved as well as how I approach guitar playing. I think it was about that time that the PRS bug really bit, permanently. Big heavy Les Paul style guitars... out. Thin, sleek, high performance Custom 24's... in! I like them, my back likes them. Done. As a general rule, I'm no longer interested in any other brands. (I do own a Flying V as it fits the category of thin, sleek, sounds really good and it is very comfortable to play. That V is the only think keeping me from being exclusive to one single brand.)

I’ve always been curious about the Morse model. Never taken the leap.

I have several PRS's and one of these guitars as well and it stands up extremely well to mine, each have their own individual tone, to say one is better than the other is somewhat presumptious.,each to his own. Oh and Steve Morse only uses delay and a touch of chorus. Very little effects. You should check his rig run down on Premier Guitar , very simple set up. The only difference is he mixes wet/dry cabs.

I have PRS S2 Custom 24. I love it. It is incredibly comfortable and does everything I ask of it. Except for one thing. I like to play a semi-acoustic quite often. I have not tried anything new recently but, along the way, I have never found anything as nice to play for that sound as my Epi 339.

The Brand is not important, the guitar is. PRS guitars fit my ears, body, and playing style better than any other brand I have played over the years. That's why I buy them. PRSH has said he understands that when a musician plays one of his guitars that the musician needs a tool that works, and if his tool works better than another, he should get the sale. If not some other brand will get the sale. He builds guitars to be a better tool than the others on the market. That's the way I see it too. If it were not for brand loyalty for the competition, PRS would be the #1 guitar company in the world. They are just better tools than the competition. I have a Strat, I have a Les Paul. I don't intend to sell them, but my go to guitars are PRS.

I mostly play PRS's but will always love my Thorn Artisan Deluxe #175. It's a masterfully built instrument that equals or exceeds anything I've seen from the Private Stock team, and I own 3 Private Stocks.

Last edited:
Different but equal for me. My main three guitars are an LP R9, PRS 594 and Clapton Strat. Very different, but equally pleasing to play.

I was a multi brand player then I found PRS and the enablers that hang around on the forums.
I am 99% PRS and then my love of a good tele came calling , I did try a Vela but that wasn't it.
I wish PRS made a Tele like they make the Silver Sky :) , I would empty my wallet for that.
PRS makes up the bulk of my guitars ( I do have a Strat , Tele , Guild , Ovation ) but I am still on the hunt for the perfect LP.
Yea I know the 594 might be a better guitar, I have played some killer examples but just like 99% of LPs it just did not fit me.
Finding the LP that fits me has been a life long quest.

*Ramble mode on*
Six years ago I bought my first guitar, a new Fender Strat. Took lessons, then hit the GAS. I acquired a used CS Strat, then a used CS Les Paul followed me home one day. All great guitars.

My 1st PRS came to me while on vacation in Orlando in 2015. I got a 30th Anniversary Custom 24 in Black/Gold. Best guitar I ever played, boy was I hooked on PRS. One day I saw an ad for a MIJ Kotzen Tele that looked amazing, so I ordered one. Everyone has to have a Tele, and the tummy and arm cuts were nice features. The Kotzen neck was a baseball bat though, which didn’t fit me. I tried to love it, but no. Then I found a nice unplayed 2001 MIA Tele which came home.

My 2nd PRS is a new McCarty 594 DC Artist Model in slate grey. Best guitar I ever played and I believe this 594 is what Paul calls “a magic guitar.” After that I convinced myself I needed a Gibson ES-335, but I couldn’t find one to play and I didn’t want a repeat of the Kotzen fiasco. So I picked up an Ibanez AS153 to scratch the GAS itch. Although it’s a nice guitar, it didn’t satisfy my desire for the Gibson. I decided to order a new Gibson ES-355 thinking that would be the one, but quality control was terrible. The binding cracked at every fret, the stain was sprayed over the binding and wasn’t scraped off before the gloss was applied. The wings on the headstock were of uneven length meaning the neck wasn’t centered under the headstock and one wing had a ugly visible open seam that wasn’t glued tight. That got returned right away and replaced with a new Collings I-35 Deluxe which blew the Gibson away. The Collings is another magic guitar. Slightly smaller than the 335, but a real treasure.

This year I got my 3rd PRS, a Nebula Silver Sky. I didn’t think I wanted or needed a Silver Sky, but I couldn’t pass up the chance of getting a Nebula. Since it arrived I reduced inventory of 1 Strat, 1 Tele, and the Ibanez. The Fenders I still have just stay in the closet because the Custom 24 and the Silver Sky are lighter, built better, sound better, and feel better. Plus they are pretty. The Gibson stays in the closet because the 594 makes the Les Paul redundant. The 594 is much lighter, and the sound and feel are amazing. The Collings stays out of the closet with the 3 PRS because I can’t decide if it is the best of the bunch or tied for 1st with the 594. The Silver Sky is the newest, and although the lowest price of the 3 PRS it seems to get all my play time since it arrived the end of July. It is also a magic guitar that I can’t put down once I pick it up. Plugged into a 64 Princeton Reverb Reissue it is really special. I am now debating whether to part with the Fenders because they seldom get played. I might replace the sky blue Strat with a nice 3 tone sunburst which is more to my liking. I’ll keep the Gibson because it is a really great guitar that I always longed for.

The PRS seem to multiply on their own. I keep looking at HBII, Paul’s Guitar, and the DGT while telling myself they aren’t needed. If I had started with the 3 PRS, I doubt I’d have any Gibson or Fenders. Now, if Paul decides to build Greg Koch a PRS Tele model... I might just have to add that to the collection.
*Ramble mode off*

I go through phases, depending on what I am working on. I’ve never really been a one-guitar guy. I play Teles and an Es295 in tribute to another Maryland guitarist, Danny Gatton, whom I would have loved to have heard on a PRS. Maryland music.

However, I am back to playing slide on my SE One every day. I need to raise the treble side strings up a bit this afternoon.

I am into the Silver Skys right now. Having scored a Nebula, and just prior to that I bought a Silver Sky tungsten with a maple board. I go back and fourth, but I think this guitar is every bit as capable as a Strat with some better playing attributes for me. But it is still not a Strat and the Strat is not a Silver Sky. They have similar qualities, but if I am playing Hendrix for example, I grab the Strat. If I feel I want a more modern balanced sound with some vintage qualities, while keeping some of the others guitars voicing, I would grab the Silver Sky. I have a Collings I 30 LC and neither guitar would do what it can do, or vice versa. Or my Tele, nothing does that. So it's like I love crab legs, but I also love maui maui. All sea food but with different texture, flavors, and qualities. And if I were in a band again right now, I would take my Silver Sky and be totally happy to cover all the material well. I want a Gold Silver Sky now. Then after that maybe back to a McCarty or something else. :)

I started out playing my dads axes which were Les Pauls and Jacksons. When I saw Tremonti playing his signature model I fell in love with that head-stock. I swear PRS head stocks are the most beautiful and sickest headstocks out there. I have 4 PRS's now, 3 SE's one being an Angelus, and a USA Tremonti. Ive bought an LTD since then but I would defiantly consider myself a loyalist.

I got hooked on prs guitars and almost all my other guitars went away.

I still have a G&L I bought new in 83 and a custom guitar but all the rest are prs. Sexy headstock for sure.

I have a 2000 McCarty and that takes care of my LP urges for good.

Back