When you drank the PRS kool aid, did your favor ever waiver with any other guitar manufacturer?

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
When I was looking for a new guitar I looked at the SE's and they felt good but nothing really felt like a PRS to me. Never like epiphone's/gibsons, always loved a strat but I wanted something different. The neck was what mattered to me. I was a bit weary about getting an SE because the gloss necks just felt sticky. An epiphone les paul neck to me feels very boxy and cubey for some reason. The sg's felt good. I was debating between a lot of brands and eventually went with my baby! However, I play my PRS primarily now over my squire strat (I mean who wouldn't). It's wires and wood, but its YOU that puts the soul into the instrument. My SE definitely has a lot of sustain and resonance within it. Yet I still loves fenders, if it's a good day, I'll play some les pauls and SG's. Heck I have even gotten to play some vintage strats (a set of pre CBS 1961 and 1963 strats in a tobacco burst) and for those two as the set would be 45,000 dollars, but it felt good! Heck that store even had a pre factory 1984 Santana that was 67,500 dollars!

i don't hold one above all others. my PRS c24 10top is an amazing instrument.. but so are my gibson 339, corona 62 strat, custom shop telecaster. depends on the day and the music.

I have always been a brand loyalist. Once I find a piece of gear that connects with me and extends my musical expression I tend to stay with that brand.

When I finally found a PRS that connected with me I jumped whole hog. Prior to that I was playing Custom Shop Jackson guitars, and had been for about a decade.

I used Rivera amps exclusively for 27 years. I ended up going Helix, which led me to realize I love the Class A el84 sound. That led me to Bad Cat. I jumped wholesale, and moved my Riveras.

It's just how I've always been. I gigged for 34 years. I liked my gear to be consistent as part of the show. I was always in original bands, usually opening big shows in medium sized venues, so we dressed up and had "fancy" gear. It just suited the imagery, lol....

My PRS guitars were a nice addition but they did not replace anything.
"Apples and oranges"

meYrGyJ.jpg

uRINjfP.jpg

vBXUBsM.jpg

I'll agree with both previous responses, saying that loyalty is a good thing, but it should only apply to things like relationships, not consumer goods. Unless you've bought and sold your intended mate recently, I think loyalty towards your gear is less important than relationship loyalty.

But who am I. Celibate over 60 guy pushing 225 lbs and enjoying singleness. Enjoy life, don't let gear own you.

When I was looking for a new guitar I looked at the SE's and they felt good but nothing really felt like a PRS to me. Never like epiphone's/gibsons, always loved a strat but I wanted something different. The neck was what mattered to me. I was a bit weary about getting an SE because the gloss necks just felt sticky. An epiphone les paul neck to me feels very boxy and cubey for some reason. The sg's felt good. I was debating between a lot of brands and eventually went with my baby! However, I play my PRS primarily now over my squire strat (I mean who wouldn't). It's wires and wood, but its YOU that puts the soul into the instrument. My SE definitely has a lot of sustain and resonance within it. Yet I still loves fenders, if it's a good day, I'll play some les pauls and SG's. Heck I have even gotten to play some vintage strats (a set of pre CBS 1961 and 1963 strats in a tobacco burst) and for those two as the set would be 45,000 dollars, but it felt good! Heck that store even had a pre factory 1984 Santana that was 67,500 dollars!

My takeaway from this post: You must be a prodigy. When I was 17 I was a pretty good guitar player and when I asked to play at $2K Les Paul, they asked if I could afford it before they would let me play it. I’m pushing 60 and have $30K worth of guitars in the old music room, and I’ve never played those vintage strats you have. I never played a Les Paul until I was 22 and laying the cash down for a Les Paul Custom.

Just saying, you seem to lead a pretty charmed life for a 15 year old. Seem to be pretty mature and well spoken for your age as well. Which leads to a very obvious question.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my prs guitars but I also will always love my fender guitars too. Mostly I switch between my kotzen tele and 513 these days. I do have an old les Paul but I like my custom 22 way better. I pretty much stick with prs and fender guitars though. I have a music man Steve Morse which I really like too but the neck is kinda small for me but the guitar sound really good.

My takeaway from this post: You must be a prodigy. When I was 17 I was a pretty good guitar player and when I asked to play at $2K Les Paul, they asked if I could afford it before they would let me play it. I’m pushing 60 and have $30K worth of guitars in the old music room, and I’ve never played those vintage strats you have. I never played a Les Paul until I was 22 and laying the cash down for a Les Paul Custom.

Just saying, you seem to lead a pretty charmed life for a 15 year old. Seem to be pretty mature and well spoken for your age as well. Which leads to a very obvious question.

I take away many things and some similar to you but... two that stand out to me is squier and epiphone. Nothing wrong with them. Ive owned and still own both but a LP custom they are not. Heck doesn't GC let you play about anything these days? I know sweetwater in Ft wayne was letting some people demo guitars they really shouldn't.

I personally love my PRSi, but I also appreciate other guitar models (SG, LP, LP Custom, Strat, Ibanez RG). They all have different flavors.

The only thing, is that when you had a taste to PRSi quality, you better focus on high end models if you don't want to be disappointed.

I have no brand loyalty whatsoever. I'm a brand tart. I will buy any brand if its good enough.

I trust all of my gigging guitars. They are all reliable. Two cheaper ones have had upgrades (electrics usually) to ensure this. I do have a favourite, but they all get used and I enjoy using all of them.

However, one has languished in its case for too long now & I'm going to sell it before much longer.

I got my first PRS last spring and now I'm probably going to get a tattoo of the birds. Just trying to decide on the design. It'll be my first tattoo. The guitar connected with me a level I could never imagine. At the moment, I'm intoxicated by the Kool Aid.

I played strats and teles with the occassional Epi 335 and a Gibson P90 Les Paul over the past 40 years......five years ago I got my first PRS, a DGT goldtop (about the time Mayer started using the Super Eagle with Dead and Company)...all the "F" guitars are gone. My music room now contains a McCarty, SE Paul's, SE Hollowbody and S2 Singlecut......next up a Silver Sky. You decide.

I played strats and teles with the occassional Epi 335 and a Gibson P90 Les Paul over the past 40 years......five years ago I got my first PRS, a DGT goldtop (about the time Mayer started using the Super Eagle with Dead and Company)...all the "F" guitars are gone. My music room now contains a McCarty, SE Paul's, SE Hollowbody and S2 Singlecut......next up a Silver Sky. You decide.
Well done on that very nice collection you have there.

Yeah, I drank the PRS Kool Aid and am a loyal follower. But lately.... Well wait. You have to promise not to tell anyone! I have been picking up my Strat with increasing frequency. And, if the rest of the followers find about what I'm about to tell you, I'm not sure about my safety! I have 3 nice PRS'. I've been thinking, ever so slightly, about a custom shop Strat! There I said it. '63 Strat base model, alder, rosewood neck, Fat 50's p.u.'s, but with a nice quilted flame top? It would be not too distant in cost from a 594. Only thinking.:eek:

Heck doesn't GC let you play about anything these days?
It's true that this is completely different than it was years ago. GC will let you play anything that is on the wall. Except the 61 and 63 strats. ;)

I’ve always been curious about the Morse model. Never taken the leap.

The Morse Y2D is different and I feel it takes a couple of hours to actually "get it"
Once you get it though, it's a dream to play. There are no body contours but it is
somehow very comfortable, perfectly balanced, no neck or body dive, and gives
you the following pickup combinations:

1- Bridge hunbucker
2- Bridge HB and middle single coil
3- middle single coil
4- Bridge and neck HBs
5- Neck HB

Placing the "middle" pickup right next to the bridge HB makes the guitar unique.
You get the 2 most useful strat sounds and all 3 double HB sounds in 1 guitar.
You get an alder body, maple cap and locking tuners. A trem model is available.

I call it a "Paulocaster".

The Morse Y2D is different and I feel it takes a couple of hours to actually "get it"
Once you get it though, it's a dream to play. There are no body contours but it is
somehow very comfortable, perfectly balanced, no neck or body dive, and gives
you the following pickup combinations:

1- Bridge hunbucker
2- Bridge HB and middle single coil
3- middle single coil
4- Bridge and neck HBs
5- Neck HB

Placing the "middle" pickup right next to the bridge HB makes the guitar unique.
You get the 2 most useful strat sounds and all 3 double HB sounds in 1 guitar.
You get an alder body, maple cap and locking tuners. A trem model is available.

I call it a "Paulocaster".
Nice! I may put one, or two on my "watch list".

Back