When You DON'T Reach For Your PRS, What Do You Reach For?

You guys are alright. The rest of you.....

If I had gotten the gumption to buy PRS all those years ago, things would be different. But my first real electric guitar from a "name brand" was the $300-ish Fender Mexi-Strat (the first year, when still called a "Squier Series"). PRS was well out of my price league back then. It didn't help I followed it up with a mint condition (and really good playing) Gibson LP Deluxe, late-70s vintage, for $400 a few years later. "Good enough for me" guitars were in the sub-$500 range.

Strangely, I suppose I could have started buying PRS almost a decade ago, maybe even more, but I wasn't actually playing much useful guitar back then - I was just picking it up casually in front of the TV type thing, or making noise in the basement jamming to CDs. Only in the last couple of years, playing actual (but essentially non-paying) gigs, that I felt I "deserved" a PRS. Oh, and a minor mid-life crisis in the middle of yet another divorce...

So 2014 will go down as the year of the PRSi for me. I'm never looking back. I'll keep all of my non-PRSi simply for their sentimental value (and there are some good playing guitars in there!), but every guitar from here on out will very likely be a PRS.

Thanks you Doctor Headshrink for letting me vent. I'll be back for my next session next week.

LOVE that Guild!!!!
Thanks! It really is a beautiful guitar. One of the last ones made in Westerly RI. My go to jazz gig ax. Chambered body gets an almost 335 vibe...but I like it better then any 335 I've ever played. Always had a soft spot for Guild. Oh..and that's my pet Sassaby.
10401381_10202068275690039_5048420980772311991_n.jpg

Last edited:
What the heck......So long as we are playing show and tell......

The Santa Cruz has the BRW neck. The Phantom features an ebony top and back with a flame maple "filling". Quite fun.

Wow! Those guitars are stunning. LOVE the Phantom!

Thought I'd add a lame cellphone pic to this thread. I play PRS probably 75% of the time. But when I'm not, it's almost always one of these...1956 Les Paul Custom with real PAFs, 1968 Les Paul Standard Goldtop with early "Patent Numbers", 1959 Les Paul Junior, one of two 1959 Burst replicas.

617A0AEA-DE9E-4924-8C06-D683C7304130_zpspbxm2xfg.jpg

Telecasters have been my default go-to guitar for decades, if there's any doubt about what an evening's music might range to.

That said, in my usual (funk) band I use a Gibson SG which works perfect, but I told them I'm probably gonna wind up using a PRS by next year, even though they try to demand I always should use my SG (after one over the top solo at rehearsal one night).

Something single coil...and I dig the single coil models PRS makes.

TBH it's a Tele. I find NOTHING sounds like a Tele. It's way easier IMO to cop Strat tones from other guitars than it is to nail the Tele sound in anything but a Telecaster with that 3 brass saddle ashtray bridge I love.

In the studio or in controlled environments, I'd also use my '64 Gibson SG Special... Otherwise I have a PRS with P90s which does that thing live for me without risking my old girl.

Back